Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1916 1917 [1918] 1919 1920 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3073109 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #28755 on: September 04, 2016, 02:28:39 pm »

I literally don't remember Anne, so I guess that does fit. Wait, no, I remember now. They like, tossed her off in India or something. I wonder what that was even about, like he thought he wanted to add a loli but changed his mind because it was stupid, or wanted to make fun of people who add lolis, or just wanted a side character that wasn't a magic muscleman trying to kill the party with his mind, or what?

On that note and the topic of Santana, I actually like loose ends like that. To me it helps imply the world's credibility, like there's things going on without the heroes. I am conversely not fond of inevitably dragging everyone the main party's ever met and hasn't killed back towards them like some kind of weird gravity, either because everyone needs to be dead for closure purposes or they're really running out of ideas and need to pad it out.

That said, the series indeed gets weird with vampires and such. I think they just suffered from being made up as they went along, which worked fine at the time but then went weird when the context changed.

But yeah, all Jotaro has is "bog standard edgelord protag #999999"
Oh, and a kickass fashion sense. He has that too. His outfit is the most interesting thing about him.
So other then secretly being Charlie Brown (good grief!) he doesn't do anything for me.

So we went from Japanese batman to boring edgelord. JJBA is starting to lose me again.
In the original anime, he was almost completely blank. I was pleasantly surprised when the manga did develop him somewhat, though he's still got that neutral main character vibe a lot.

But to be fair, that might be in large part because the supporting cast was so much larger and more relevant. The first guy (Jonathan?) had Dio to glare at, a Hamon user, and a literal thug to help out somewhat. Joseph had TWO Hamon users and a robot to also sort of help out somewhat, plus more villains to glare at but not usually all at once. Jotaro had a stand user, that stand user's stand/Hamon friend who's also his grandfather and link to all of this nonsense, two frenemies, and a really large rat following him around all at the same time, often taking turns doing things and having the spotlight while fighting fairly unique, fleshed-out enemies. With all that and being unwilling or unable to go all ridiculous with him like he could/did with the side characters (and Joseph), Jotaro might have come out bland in part because there just wasn't time to make him super memorable without being super loud (I miss you Polnareff).
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #28756 on: September 04, 2016, 03:04:49 pm »

Jotaro's only true love is
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Headcanoning it to be Anne then.

Also am I the only one who thinks Jotaro is the least interesting protag yet? Actually ALL the protags in Stardust Crusaders are bland compared to the ones that came before imo. I mean for fucks sake Joseph went from the best thing ever to an old man who takes photos. That's what he does now. He doesn't plan plans around the plans that others planned around his plans, he just takes pictures. Of a naked dude. Over and over. Nice job ruining the best thing Araki-kun.

But yeah, all Jotaro has is "bog standard edgelord protag #999999"
Oh, and a kickass fashion sense. He has that too. His outfit is the most interesting thing about him.
So other then secretly being Charlie Brown (good grief!) he doesn't do anything for me.

So we went from Japanese batman to boring edgelord. JJBA is starting to lose me again.

Araki's very careful about wanting to keep the individual parts seperate and their own stories, and so for Part 3, Joseph's role is more to be the Navigator and Mentor to the rest of the characters. He does have his moments though. As for his stand... well at the start of the part Joseph hasn't figured out all its capabilities yet.

...also on a side note it's quite likely that his boisterousness means that he doesn't realize that he doesn't have to smash an expensive camera every time he uses it and can just tap on it and only does so because he did it on accident the first time or something.

The important things about Jotaro's character don't really become apparent until later parts, along with some of it being hidden in Araki's interviews. He has massive social issues and doesn't realize that the only person that can actually read his emotions off of his face is his mother, and his hardass behavior comes from constantly trying to be like his personal hero Clint Eastwood. When you combine this with some of the aspects of him from later on (Namely him growing up to be a marine biologist who wears dolphin themed jewelry all over his clothes), he's honestly kind of a huge dork inside.

Not to say that this really excuses him not being that great of a protag, but SC is carried more on its wacky hijinks and combined cast. I will tell you though, Part 3 becomes so much better in the later half once Araki starts figuring how he wants stand battles to go and how to make them the most interesting.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 03:16:24 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28757 on: September 04, 2016, 03:32:14 pm »

Plus, I like that the show tries to model good behavior, habits, and sportsmanship for the impressionable and young members of it's demographics. Well, ignoring Ryo Kurokiba...
Who? Could've sworn you mentioned someone who wasn't a hatchet-job villain-of-the-week PoS intro-to-gluestick character.

Not that I'm bitter.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #28758 on: September 04, 2016, 04:06:57 pm »

Also, on the "good grief!" thing: "yare yare daze" is apparently a pretty untranslatable sentence. Some subs translate it as "good grief", others as "gimme a break".

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28759 on: September 04, 2016, 04:11:18 pm »

Yeah, innit basically an expression of exacerbation that doesn't translate literally?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28760 on: September 04, 2016, 09:13:45 pm »

Plus, I like that the show tries to model good behavior, habits, and sportsmanship for the impressionable and young members of it's demographics. Well, ignoring Ryo Kurokiba...
Who? Could've sworn you mentioned someone who wasn't a hatchet-job villain-of-the-week PoS intro-to-gluestick character.

Not that I'm bitter.

I don't even know what 'intro-to-gluestick' means, but it's a phrase that's already growing on me.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28761 on: September 04, 2016, 11:10:15 pm »

Old/useless horses are said to be "sent to the glue factory". It was a common thing before modern industrial glues were developed.

"Intro-to-gluestick" would mean a character who's introduced, does some stuff then quickly retired.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 11:12:36 pm by Reelya »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28762 on: September 05, 2016, 12:02:53 am »

Very amusing confusion just now, was gonna watch a show with the missus, and noticed Re: Zero was up so I asked her if she wanted to watch a Zero or a Zero. She paused, wondering what the fuck I just said, and I said "Saber or Subaru?" and she blurts out "REZUBARUUU!!" somehow, so that's a thing now.

The last couple of episodes felt a bit odd though.

In other news, I thought "surely a voice as fantastic as Rider has done lots of other stuff" and yeah Akio has been aaaaal over the place for years, Batou, Skull Knight, Gas Mask Dad from DRRR!, Snake, if you've got a favorite gravel voiced badass from a show, good chance it was this guy.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28763 on: September 05, 2016, 06:09:43 am »

Not to say that this really excuses him not being that great of a protag, but SC is carried more on its wacky hijinks and combined cast. I will tell you though, Part 3 becomes so much better in the later half once Araki starts figuring how he wants stand battles to go and how to make them the most interesting.

Unfortunately this only happens at about 3/4ths of the way through the story, about when Pet Shop shows up; that's the point I would say it actually starts being engaging.

Part 3 might as well be called Polnareff's Bizarre Adventure, because Jotaro sure as hell doesn't do much.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28764 on: September 05, 2016, 06:39:22 am »

In other news, I thought "surely a voice as fantastic as Rider has done lots of other stuff" and yeah Akio has been aaaaal over the place for years, Batou, Skull Knight, Gas Mask Dad from DRRR!, Snake, if you've got a favorite gravel voiced badass from a show, good chance it was this guy.

Not to be missed, he play the infamous Brian Hawk in Hajime no Ippo.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28765 on: September 05, 2016, 07:58:52 am »

Yup, quite a few of the major or fan favorite villains in various shows like that.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28766 on: September 05, 2016, 08:16:42 am »

"Intro-to-gluestick" would mean a character who's introduced, does some stuff then quickly retired.
Cool!

I was using it as a vague reference for either the kids in second grade who eat their gluesticks,
or something which has been stuck haphazardly on top of an already established scene, as though the character was slapped on by an ameteur with a gluestick.

So the third angle makes it a nice and complex insult.

From what I've already heard about the manga, this makes me want to drop this anime.
I actually might.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 08:18:24 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28767 on: September 05, 2016, 09:09:54 am »

Speaking of voice actors I've been watching Hellsing Ultimate and I didn't realise it had Wakamoto and Jouji in leading roles. Every scene with them together is amazing.

I've also laughed out loud at the series more than I think anything else I've ever watched

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28768 on: September 05, 2016, 10:08:10 am »

Cool!

I was using it as a vague reference for either the kids in second grade who eat their gluesticks,
or something which has been stuck haphazardly on top of an already established scene, as though the character was slapped on by an ameteur with a gluestick.

So the third angle makes it a nice and complex insult.

Jerry Seinfeld actually used "Gluestick" as the name of a really shit horse in his standup routine about racehorses, so it's an established thing.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28769 on: September 05, 2016, 10:23:27 am »

Speaking of voice actors I've been watching Hellsing Ultimate and I didn't realise it had Wakamoto and Jouji in leading roles. Every scene with them together is amazing.

I've also laughed out loud at the series more than I think anything else I've ever watched
It's so weirdly funny in a beautiful, metal way.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...
Pages: 1 ... 1916 1917 [1918] 1919 1920 ... 2193