Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1911 1912 [1913] 1914 1915 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3072645 times)

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #28680 on: August 29, 2016, 02:58:50 am »

Re:Zero, overhyped trope pile pulling twists at every turn because it can. That and its protagonist never really dies (permanently), due to its premise.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28681 on: August 29, 2016, 03:33:15 am »

It's a fun trope, but it ultimately robs the story of Stakes. Even Familiar of Zero has more stakes in the end. Because no rewinds.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28682 on: August 29, 2016, 03:49:15 am »

Could be worse...

Could be Mars Awakens romance where

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

also GRRRR Damn you Familiar of Zero!

---

Goodness trying to decipher this scene...

This guy is moaning in pain...

So this woman is giving him water, then takes salt and sprinkles it into his mouth, then gives him more water.

Is he dehydrated? That would explain the salt (no really)

Hmm it is Boiled Motherwort Water. He could have stomach cramps and while that can TECHNICALLY be fatal (Bloating can be fatal) the music makes it seem really urgent.

Yet what is the salt for?

NEVERMIND!!! the show answered the question for me... It apparently causes vomiting in that combination.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 04:39:29 am by Neonivek »

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #28683 on: August 29, 2016, 09:57:01 pm »

Spoiler: Toradora Episode 16-17 (click to show/hide)

Also come on guys, Familiar of Zero was pretty decent. Admittedly the fanfiction tends to be better than the show but that seems to be a lot of anime (FROM FAKE DREAMS *cough*)
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #28684 on: August 29, 2016, 10:05:32 pm »

Also come on guys, Familiar of Zero was pretty decent. Admittedly the fanfiction tends to be better than the show but that seems to be a lot of anime (FROM FAKE DREAMS *cough*)
FROM FAKE DREAMS

*twitches*

Nope. Nope NOpe NOPE NOPE NOEPN EOPNE OP NEP EON NEOPE EN POEN EOEPN
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 10:11:26 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #28685 on: August 29, 2016, 10:59:51 pm »

... isn't that a FS/N fic, not a ZnT one? Pretty sure it doesn't cross over, either.

Unless that was the reference being made, I guess. Read like it hadn't changed targets.

Though nah, ZnT had some nice world building and just good enough characterization to act as a hook, but the rest was kinda' sub-par, at best. Shows its LN roots a bit too much, ha.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 11:03:56 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28686 on: August 29, 2016, 11:29:46 pm »

To admit the one and only credit I am going to give ZnT as far as characterization is concerned

Is that when it comes to people with low self-esteem it is kind of accurate... No matter what Zero gets in the anime she always treats it like it is terrible and she is terrible because of it.

She always has a huge inferiority complex no matter the situation.

The problem I have is... She takes it out on other people... and we are meant to like it when she does it.

---

Ok I'll give it another credit albeit they did it unintentionally

The male lead is very physically and emotionally abused by the female lead... extensively where he doesn't know what freedoms he will be allowed on a day to day basis. She never treats him like an ordinary human being and enacts punishments on him whether or not he does anything to deserve it.

Yet when he thinks he got away from her... He breaks down and believes he has feelings for her... even though he doesn't understand why.

Which is... Oddly incredibly realistic for someone who is a victim of the kind of abuse he went through... He even changes his personality completely to suit the situation.

It is one of the many reasons why I really don't like this anime... Because the abuse in this anime isn't "Ha ha funny abuse" like most shows...

ZnT's abuse... Is... Abuse... but framed as if you are supposed to laugh. It has a fairly realistic depiction of it...

The kicker? I probably would have liked the anime if they stopped trying to make me like the abuse. In fact I did at first thinking that maybe I was getting the wrong signals...
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 11:35:15 pm by Neonivek »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28687 on: August 30, 2016, 12:31:36 am »

I picked up Re:Zero recently; I had initially disregarded it since it's a "transported to a fantasy realm" and also has pastel hair. But having picked it up, it's honestly phenomenal, at least as much as I've seen so far. The drama is incredibly well done, and the magical situation of the premise has got me actually pondering; it's well executed as a mystery.

It's a fun trope, but it ultimately robs the story of Stakes. Even Familiar of Zero has more stakes in the end. Because no rewinds.
I just watched episode eight and nine, and I strongly disagree with you. Just because there aren't permanent deaths doesn't mean nothing happens. I consider this to be higher stakes for practical purposes than the kind of show that racks up a body count of characters that it never really gets you invested in. And people do die; sure the deaths aren't "real", but none of this is really real.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28688 on: August 30, 2016, 03:48:34 am »

It is one of the many reasons why I really don't like this anime... Because the abuse in this anime isn't "Ha ha funny abuse" like most shows...

ZnT's abuse... Is... Abuse... but framed as if you are supposed to laugh. It has a fairly realistic depiction of it...

The kicker? I probably would have liked the anime if they stopped trying to make me like the abuse. In fact I did at first thinking that maybe I was getting the wrong signals...
I recommend checking out the comedy series Working, there's a girl who's very punchy to the MC in that too. It has a completely different spin on the problem that would be interesting to contrast with ZnT.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 03:54:26 am by Reelya »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #28689 on: August 30, 2016, 04:05:06 am »

Which is... Oddly incredibly realistic for someone who is a victim of the kind of abuse he went through... He even changes his personality completely to suit the situation.
Man, that's a way more forgiving explanation than mine, which was that they glued an unrepentant jackass, dickless slave, and noble-hating white knight together into a He-Man villain that changes faces to suit the (narrative's) situation. Seriously, he didn't feel like a single coherent character in the slightest.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28690 on: August 30, 2016, 04:14:34 am »

Man, that's a way more forgiving explanation than mine, which was that they glued an unrepentant jackass, dickless slave, and noble-hating white knight together into a He-Man villain that changes faces to suit the (narrative's) situation. Seriously, he didn't feel like a single coherent character in the slightest.

Actually that is my "being nice to the show" explanation.

The actual explanation as to why he just suddenly starts being a total dick even though it goes completely against his character... Is because making him "Deserve" it would make it less... abuse and more funny.

it is also why in the second season Zero almost exclusively abuses him through magical blasts of vagueness AND the male lead ups his jerkish behavior to 11.

But lets just say... trying to make an abuse victim seem like they "deserve" it all of a sudden and altering the depiction of the abuse... REALLY didn't endear me...

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28691 on: August 30, 2016, 04:15:20 am »

Think I'm gonna give Chivalry Of A Failed Knight a shot. Can't be worse than Asterisk War.
Wait.
Literally nothing can be worse than Asterisk War.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28692 on: August 30, 2016, 05:45:53 am »

I'll take that bet ...

But surely there are much better things than Chivalry Of A Failed Knight as well that you haven't seen. Don't do it!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 05:49:04 am by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28693 on: August 30, 2016, 05:49:33 am »

I'll take that bet ...

But surely there are much better things than Chivalry Of A Failed Knight as well that you haven't seen. Don't do it!

Trust me the anime hole goes deep my friend :P

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28694 on: August 30, 2016, 06:40:54 am »

I'll take that bet ...

Trust me the anime hole goes deep my friend :P
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 1911 1912 [1913] 1914 1915 ... 2193