Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1907 1908 [1909] 1910 1911 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3072058 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #28620 on: August 20, 2016, 11:00:16 pm »

Durarara time now then. Keep an eye out for the Baccano cameos in season 1.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28621 on: August 20, 2016, 11:27:16 pm »

T.T Is Drrr actually over? It didn't seem like they were doing a "see you next season" setup, but they never really do.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28622 on: August 20, 2016, 11:55:49 pm »

From what I could glean, the current TV series covers all the novels in the original run. The author has stated the main story to be complete and over with.

But he's made a sequel (Durarara SH), and explictly labeled it as extra unnecessary stuff:
http://durarara.wikia.com/wiki/Durarara!!_SH
Set one and a half years after the end of the original series, SH features the same setting as Durarara!! and much of the previous series’ cast returns alongside several new main characters. 

The “SH” in the title is an abbreviation of “Snake Hands.” Derived from the Chinese idiom “adding legs to a snake,” it refers to the act of adding unnecessary details onto something that should otherwise be complete. It originates from a tale in which several men compete to finish a drawing of a snake as quickly as they can. The story goes that the man who completed his snake first went so far as to add legs, resulting in his ultimate defeat.

Durarara!! SH itself is the "snake’s legs" to Durarara!!. With the original series resolved, Narita refers to the sequel as an unnecessary addition to an otherwise complete story. However, he goes on to state that were the legs of a snake to evolve into arms and further into hands, then the snake could become a dragon and thereby grow into something greater than what is was before.

This series features a new kid who moves to Ikebukuro, and meets a guy and a girl. In other words, an entirely new trio of main characters. At this stage there are 4 novels out, with one per year or so. Maybe in about 3 years they'd have enough to turn that into a 24 episode thing.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 12:04:24 am by Reelya »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #28623 on: August 21, 2016, 12:01:23 am »

Shoujou manga can be pretty strange.
It's making all the stupidity and cliches of generic shonen battle shit seem pretty tame, I'll admit.

I suspect that this is actually pretty close in nature and tone to romance-genre novels, except a little more rape-y because Japan. Not that I'm in any rush to find out; it's a lot easier to skim manga than pure text. :|
Delayed response, but there's not terribly much difference in the rapey bit, actually. I've read enough bodice rippers in my time. Not a lot, but definitely plural. I don't quite regret it, but it's a close thing.

Same sentiment for shoujou manga, really, except there's less regret because you can at least stare in wonder at the illustrations instead of pay attention to the dialogue and plot.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28624 on: August 21, 2016, 12:06:27 am »

Mitsu x Mitsu Drops. Just sayin'. That's the one at the school where rich boys get to basically enslave a poor student (a "honey"), and basically can mistreat them any way they like, with the "honey" being expelled if they complain.

http://myanimelist.net/anime/1838/Mitsu_x_Mitsu_Drops
These are snippets from different reviews:
In my years of watching anime, I have encountered a decent amount of shoujo anime. There were some good ones, some meh ones, and maybe some that were kind of bad. However, never in my life have I watched a shoujo anime that has left me so infuriated I could go on a rampage. That is, until I watched Honey x Honey Drops.
It was offensive, ridiculous, and mind-numbingly lame. The main guy is the guy who voiced Hikaru in Ouran, which I liked him for... and I liked his voice in this too, except that there is something mentally wrong with his character's personality. He seems a bit deranged, trusts no one, yet somehow knows how to love in a twisted way.
This practically is one for worst Shoujo Anime I have ever watched. Kai Renge in all his male glory is the epitome of masculinity. But he is also the male main character who's mean and nice to the female main character at the same time. Talk about bipolar. Well, we all know this type of character has issues but we don't see any light on that based on the 2-episode OVA. Let me try the manga for ya but that's for later. The female character on the other hand is someone I would love to strangle without remorse and not because I'm jealous.
God, if I got a coin for every second of main male character saying words 'idiot' and 'honey' I would be surrounded by Japanese waiters, cosplaying and yelling 'irashaimasen' by now. Their personalities are all so goddamn blunt, so undeveloped, and just illogical! The girl almost willingly let the guy touch her anywhere he wants, and in front of people. And not just her, he! HE! Who in the world harasses a girl in front of other people?!
The other characters seem to enjoy the show any time that happens. And in the end, it's actually hinted the guy loves the girl. Aww, well, shoving your hand down her panties is not really making a point, I believe.
The first two minutes was disgusting. I couldn't stand how rude and arrogant Kai was. Other than the sexual harassment scenes, I think the anime was good. Typical love story, cool, cold guy and a stupid girl. I think if the anime wasn't an OVA and had more episodes, it could have been a lot better. Also MINUS the sexual harassment scenes.
i don't even know what i just watched. to be honest, that's what you get when you're bored, and want to watch a random shoujo anime, without even reading the synopsis and trusting only on the title. i mean, something that has "honey" on its title not only one but two times... it's gotta be at least super cute and sweet and romantic and blah blah blah... right? that's where things go entirely wrong.

Oh, but there are ones way worse than Mitsu x Mitsu Drops. Dekiai Paradox is one such manga.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 12:24:23 am by Reelya »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #28625 on: August 21, 2016, 12:35:36 am »

Heh. Honestly, if there's one thing I can say in favor of shoujou, it almost always stops at the "basically". More than one of the romance novels I've read was not so restrained. "All aboard my rape train," says the author, "There ain't no breaks. I fucked 'em like I did yo' protagonist." level unrestrained. And not shoujou style, with its blushing and maybe actually liking the attention and all that flower vomiting bullshit. We're talking straight up welcome-to-a-vikinging stuff, enjoy your Stockholm syndrome and staying with rapist N because at least this one feeds the kids they put in you and kills other ones.

Goddamn "historical" romance novels. You'd think younger me would have figured out what was up the first time, but it apparently took a few more. Was fortunately about the worst of it but I'd legitimately recommend shoujou over romance novels for relationship advice/examples, ahaha.

Really, the most amazing thing is that I think I started encountering less "holy shit" stuff after I started reading mostly online. Some of the stuff that makes it to print is mind boggling, and it's often a lot harder to filter, to boot. Book's a lot less likely to warn you you're going to run into necrophilia halfway through the story :-\
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 12:41:59 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #28626 on: August 21, 2016, 02:07:56 am »

Book's a lot less likely to warn you you're going to run into necrophilia halfway through the story :-\
Would link relevant Oglaf, but NSFW.
"Is it still necrophilia if they were alive when you started?"
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28627 on: August 21, 2016, 04:27:48 am »

I just finished watching episode 61 of the new Fairy Tail and I am currently very confused as to why so many people dislike the Tartaros arc. The first bit had some quality child voice acting and interesting enemies while the second has so far had both Laxus and Natsu being awesome with the latter fight showing off some actual animation rather than the usual stapled-together stills.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #28628 on: August 21, 2016, 10:24:53 am »

Build Fighters Try Island Wars is out! Its still Try, not the OG BF and so has all the nonsense that implies, but it made me smile a ton anyways.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 10:43:39 am by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #28629 on: August 21, 2016, 08:35:43 pm »

Spoiler: Toradora Episode 14-15 (click to show/hide)
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28630 on: August 21, 2016, 09:14:43 pm »

I feel like that anime went on too long.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28631 on: August 22, 2016, 12:36:16 am »

Time for some Anime Props today!

Todays two props goes to

1) Pokémon

In spite Ash never growing up there is a reason, beyond continuity existing, why people keep thinking he does... Why? because he actually grows as a character as the anime goes on. If you watch his early episodes where he whined almost constantly to his current self you can see he matured rather immensely as time went on.

While you COULD say it is because they changed his characterization and not that they advanced his character... Yet I prefer my idea.

2) Robotboy

So at this one point the villain creates a robot that creates other robots and it immediately comes to the conclusion that emotions make you weak and that his robots would be much more powerful if he stripped them of this (well emotions and free will). This is apparently the working thesis the original villain came to prior to the start of the series but later scrapped it (essentially the old villain is seeing his New Robot making Robot going through the phases he did. Essentially the new villain needs to learn the lessons the old one did and he cannot simply tell him that robot emotions are better).

So he does this, creates a robot that trounces just about all the characters until a suicide attack (By the robot he cloned for this) gets him off guard and destroys his creation. He then concludes that indeed there seems to be some sort of strength in free will and emotions.

I like it because it is a very natural conclusion for the villain to come to giving his origins and he tests it, as an honest test. As well his robot didn't outright lose it only occurred because someone blew themselves up to destroy it, and otherwise it was nearly unstoppable. Yet he saw the fact that it could lose at all by a inferior robot as evidence that emotions lead to something.

Which is... I like how organic the plotline (well one episode plotline) was handled. They easily could have hamfisted this and turned him into a cartoon villain like most shows where this occurs (Look at Mewtwo...). Better yet I like the dynamic between the two villains. The old one knows that robot emotions make creations stronger but knows this is something his creation has to learn on his own knowing that he will see it as well.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 12:38:30 am by Neonivek »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #28632 on: August 22, 2016, 12:45:26 am »

Durarara time now then. Keep an eye out for the Baccano cameos in season 1.
Already watched all but the very latest season of Durarara!! :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28633 on: August 22, 2016, 03:46:31 am »

You probably missed it then,  but in Durarara S1 episode 11, Isaac and Miria are shown as members of the Dollars gang. Then they suddenly realize that they aren't old yet :)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28634 on: August 22, 2016, 03:48:42 am »

IIRC I thought they were still oblivious to the fact that they were nearing or breaking 100 years old at that point.
Pages: 1 ... 1907 1908 [1909] 1910 1911 ... 2193