Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1903 1904 [1905] 1906 1907 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3070720 times)

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #28560 on: August 17, 2016, 06:04:08 pm »

I've seen that movie. She was barely in it. She took part in the ritual in Battle of Gods, but from what I've heard that was just fetus-Pan being used to fill a spot or something.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28561 on: August 17, 2016, 08:27:37 pm »

It was Pan, not Videl.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28562 on: August 17, 2016, 09:11:56 pm »

It was Pan, not Videl.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28563 on: August 17, 2016, 09:23:46 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Notice the center of her glow?

She can't do it herself, she hasn't done it again, it was Pan.

Incidentally, I just realized that last year while I watched a few shows, the missus was in a regular hangouts/phone chat period with a couple of her friends, so she never watched Maria the Virgin Witch or Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Budget Works with me!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28564 on: August 17, 2016, 10:41:58 pm »

Yeah, as krillin and yumcha never become useful, I'm gonna go with "humans are shit"
Even Roshi-Sensei got outstripped pretty quickly.

Considering in Supah Dragon Ball, Beerus chooses his deliveryman over even the most powerful humans...
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28565 on: August 17, 2016, 10:52:17 pm »

Welp. Time to start my self-imposed challenge to read something selected semi-randomly from the pool of stuff that I can (legally) access for free and would never choose for myself. If I quit before I get halfway through I have to do another.

The target the metaphorical dart landed on: Sora wa Akai Kawa no Hotori, aka Red River, aka Anatolia Story. It's a 28-volume historical romance set in the Hittite Empire circa the early-mid 1300s BCE. Short summary of the introductory chapters: Average 15 year old reader/author insert schoolgirl has her first kiss with her boyfriend, spends a few days pages thereafter almost being dragged into bodies of water ranging from a drinking glass to a bathtub, eventually being pulled into a puddle and emerging from a spring in an ancient city. Naturally, this is because ze ebul intends for her to be used as a human sacrifice. It first ran in the mid-90s, and boy does the cover of the first volume show it (thanks Wikipedia, you're a doll, I'm not putting this grimy cover anywhere near my scanner). Look at that vest.

The blurb on the back promises "adventure and cute boys". Hoo boy. I will provide summarized commentary if anyone wants to share my pain. At least it wasn't Naruto.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28566 on: August 17, 2016, 10:56:00 pm »

The blurb on the back promises "adventure and cute boys". Hoo boy. I will provide summarized commentary if anyone wants to share my pain.
Please do; this sounds amusingly bad. Also,

28-volume
That'll take a while to get through!

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28567 on: August 17, 2016, 10:57:30 pm »

Oh, hells, Red River.  That piece of crap drives me berserk.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28568 on: August 17, 2016, 11:20:33 pm »

Not good Berserk either, bad Berserk, like the cgi in the new series.

I suggest Vinland Saga if you haven't read it, they need to get around to making an anime already.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28569 on: August 18, 2016, 12:01:57 am »

Chapter 1: Nothing too major. Standard plot device for this sort of displacement.

Kudos for the magic being at least partially internally consistent: if it's literally just using water as a portal medium that one can stick their arms through, it makes sense that it can be interrupted by kicking the caster. On the other hand, nothing about the entire premise is explained. It's literally just "lol magic I don't have to tell you shit". Except for a throwaway reference to blood. Maybe the author originally meant to write a romance with vampires instead of a romance with bronze-age princes? :V
--
Why the hell do the people in the city speak in a cuneiform script? No, this might seem like a nitpick, but it's a serious fucking problem. So the convention exists: a character is abruptly dumped into a busy foreign location. Everyone around them is speaking in a language that the character and (hopefully, for their sake) the audience can't understand. It works in animation and live-action stuff for obvious reasons. It works in pure-text because you don't literally write out gibberish in a foreign language. In this medium it's a gimmick which actively detracts from the verisimilitude of the setting and clutters the panels.

There are alternatives, easy ones. Use some direct text splashes indicating crowd noise. There, problem solved. Or write in Japanese but use some font-tic equivalent to indicate that it's not actually Japanese they're speaking. Those are not novel ideas.

On the former point, it's highly unlikely that the script is actually associated with the Hittites at all, and laughable to think that it not only is, but is more or less intelligible. There was no reason to use it, either, and other reasons not to. It indicates, I think, a desire to give an impression of a vibrant period setting without actually doing any of the work to create such.

The chapter ends with the main character running up onto a massive wall of doubtful historical accuracy (but possessing a remarkable lack of guards) and screaming to the sky "Where am I!? yadda yadda". The author-narrator helpfully abuses that to segue into a condescending answer directed at the audience. Or maybe it was just the translation and the original text wasn't so snarky. But "if you don't know where Anatolia or Turkey are, go look at a map [dumbass]" seems to speak for itself.

Up next time in Dice Hates Manga: Red River Chapter 2, in which our heroine runs from a bunch of faceless h-doujin zombie pirates guards, meets our first eye-candy (with an alarmingly narrow head), gets chained to a pillar years before the Star Wars prequels made it cool, loses her clothes, and is saved from beheading by Alduin's arrival.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28570 on: August 18, 2016, 12:37:10 am »

I'd really like you to read Pao no Mongatari and dissect that one, good laughs all around.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28571 on: August 18, 2016, 01:09:09 am »

She can't do it herself, she hasn't done it again, it was Pan.

And yet it is still canonical that humans can turn super saiyan. I am not saying that the requirements aren't strict... Only that it is now... possible.

But then again Super Dragon Ball is a self-parody.

Videl turning Super Saiyan is actually part of the joke :P

Which isn't the only joke about the whole situation as well as in Resurrection F.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 01:11:42 am by Neonivek »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #28572 on: August 18, 2016, 01:49:27 am »

that was in Battle of Gods

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28573 on: August 18, 2016, 02:38:59 am »

that was in Battle of Gods

Let me rewrite

"Which isn't the only joke about the whole situation, heck they had plenty of jokes about the situation in Resurrection F too"

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28574 on: August 18, 2016, 03:41:32 am »

I suggest Vinland Saga if you haven't read it, they need to get around to making an anime already.
Yeeeess. That.
Vinland Saga and Drifters are the only two manga I read, and I barely read drifters.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.
Pages: 1 ... 1903 1904 [1905] 1906 1907 ... 2193