Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1902 1903 [1904] 1905 1906 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3070470 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #28545 on: August 16, 2016, 09:26:18 pm »

But then again Japan loves their puns.

EVERYONE loves puns. The Bible is full of puns, Les Miserables is full of puns.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the one thing uniting all humanity was puns. Screw music, puns are where its at.

Well here is a character with blue hair, her name means blue, and she sings a song with blue in the name.

She is also associated with the blue ocean and dolphins.

---

Let me think of a Western example that isn't a translation of an anime with constant pun names.

I am going to ignore ones where names aren't so much puns as they are literal. So Carebears is out since "No Heart", "Dark Heart", and "Cold Heart" are quite literal (though Screechie I'd count).

---

WAIT I got one! 50 Shades of Grey!.. Though that is considered a terrible book even by its fans... uhhhh...

What about Food Wars? err wait also terrible.

Come on there has to be something punny that isn't also terrible. My Little Pony miiight count but only for the names of places as the Pony's names are their "Titles" and once again literal.

Ohh I know Doug! Doug is a show where almost EVERYONE in the freeken show's name is a pun (and sometimes they point at it) and it doesn't suck!

Patty Mayonaise, Skeeter, and Mr. Dink (Double Income, No Kids... Guess what? He has no kids and can afford things!), BB-Bluff... There we go!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 09:41:38 pm by Neonivek »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28546 on: August 16, 2016, 10:24:26 pm »

It's a lot easier to put meaning into character names in Japanese because of the way kanji characters work.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28547 on: August 16, 2016, 10:30:29 pm »

It's a lot easier to put meaning into character names in Japanese because of the way kanji characters work.

Indeed

Ichigo might mean Strawberries (And also stupid) and Momo might mean peach.

Yet both of those are legitimate names.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28548 on: August 16, 2016, 10:52:44 pm »

"The Bourne Identity" is a pun since he has amnesia and seeks who he is (his born identity). Unfortunately, they degraded the theme in subsequent movies, with only "Bourne Supremacy" having any actual double-meaning, and the latest film is just "Jason Bourne", so they just stopped trying to keep them even thematically consistent.

Asterix is a western comic series full of pun names, so are Piers Anthony's Xanth novels.

Hajime no Ippo is a good pun title. Hajime=beginning, no=of (but works right-to-left), Ippo = step. So the literal title is "The first step", meaning the character starting out, but since Ippo is also the main character's name it can equally literally mean "Ippo's beginning". Ippo also sounds like Ippatsu, which is a root word in phrases meaning things like "punch", "win by a hair's breath", "turn things around with a sudden strike" etc, all of which is relevent to Hajime no Ippo.
http://www.romajidesu.com/dictionary/meaning-of-%E3%81%84%E3%81%A3%E3%81%B1%E3%81%A4.html

Kuroko's Basketball is also jam packed with puns / double meanings in names, related to hair color and other light-based pun names (shadow, mirror, sun, moon, shade etc)

I also watched some shorts of a slice of life anime called Yurumates. It was fairly funny. Mentioning it here because the title has 3 meanings in it. It's about an apartment building full of useless lazy people (who are supposed to be studying to get into college). Yuru = lazy/easygoing. So it could mean "lazy friends(mates)", but the ru from yuru combines with "mates" to make "room-mates" in English as well, and the main character is also named Yurume.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 06:18:09 am by Reelya »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28549 on: August 17, 2016, 05:58:55 am »

There are occasional Conan episodes where all the characters have some kind of "theme" to their names that gets used as a clue. So like all the characters have names that correspond to chess pieces and the victim points to a particular piece after dying.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28550 on: August 17, 2016, 12:08:12 pm »

Sweetness and lightning finally got its first strike from me. Bro cannot discipline his child.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28551 on: August 17, 2016, 12:12:33 pm »

Sweetness and lightning finally got its first strike from me. Bro cannot discipline his child.

I totally understand though, I'd have lost my temper too. Otherwise I think he's doing a frickin' amazing job as a single dad, speaking on her level and talking rationally and calmly, once things calmed down. Tsumugi Drop is a serious contender this season.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28552 on: August 17, 2016, 12:25:34 pm »

I meant not holding to it. She should not be getting "reward activities" after a scolding.
She gonna grow up spoilt. That and be a great cook.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28553 on: August 17, 2016, 05:12:36 pm »

Goodness I was just trying to tell some "You need to be a saiyan to become supersaiyan"

And I forgot that... yeah you can be a human super saiyan canonically.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28554 on: August 17, 2016, 05:17:21 pm »

Goodness I was just trying to tell some "You need to be a saiyan to become supersaiyan"

You need to at least be part Saiyan.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28555 on: August 17, 2016, 05:25:04 pm »

You need to at least be part Saiyan.

Nope :P

You can be 100% human and turn super saiyan canonically now.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #28556 on: August 17, 2016, 05:40:30 pm »

If you're talking about DBZ Online, you need to wish on the dragon balls for that, which I don't think really counts. Especially since it supposedly took place far enough in the future that everybody was part saiyan in a very very small amount.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28557 on: August 17, 2016, 05:42:06 pm »

If you're talking about DBZ Online, you need to wish on the dragon balls for that, which I don't think really counts. Especially since it supposedly took place far enough in the future that everybody was part saiyan in a very very small amount.

No I mean the Manga and Anime.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28558 on: August 17, 2016, 05:44:36 pm »

Your post made me curious as to the details of the human super saiyans, as I haven't watched the show in forever now, so I dug around the DBZ Wiki and found so much more than I was bargaining for. I never knew that DBZ had it's own twisted form of astronomy and mythology, that the most powerful character in the series is a football-headed midget, and that Frieza's character is based on Real Estate Speculators, which Toriyama considered "The Worst Kind of People" which I find very amusing.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28559 on: August 17, 2016, 05:47:41 pm »

Videl turns Super Saiyan by absorbing Super Saiyan energies.

Dragon Ball Resurrection F or something.
Pages: 1 ... 1902 1903 [1904] 1905 1906 ... 2193