Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1890 1891 [1892] 1893 1894 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3068151 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #28365 on: August 01, 2016, 07:34:21 am »

Of course it was aired along with kid's cartoons in New Zealand. Because NZ never had any airing cartoons that weren't for kids. So there was no other place to air it. That doesn't mean it was meant as a kid's show, the West just tried to shoehorn it in as one, because it was cheaper than making one of your own.

The original Dragonball contains a lot of sexual humor played for laughs. The target demographic was clearly a 15 year old male. They tried to clean it up and make it a kid's show in the American dub, but basically everyone I knew who was actually into it were 15-16 year old males in Australia, the exact core audience it was made for. Some examples of the censorship they applied to the dub version:

http://www.dorkly.com/post/74898/i-wonder-where-censors-fall-in-the-pecking-order

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #28366 on: August 01, 2016, 08:46:44 am »

In other words, I have no idea what I'm talking about

This is normal
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #28367 on: August 01, 2016, 08:55:06 am »

Yeaaah, the dragon ball stuff that was aired in the U.S. was pretty strongly censored. It was actually something of an initiate anime watcher thing back in the 90s to have either watched, or at least be aware of, the uncensored version, probably off a CD you mailed to some shady online CD burning person. Nascent anime elitist cred, back when it was getting off the ground for an english speaking audience.

No clue if other english primary countries got the same version, but I'd imagine the dub version was the same, heh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #28368 on: August 01, 2016, 10:51:16 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28369 on: August 02, 2016, 08:50:03 am »

I finished Dagashi Kashi, it was just one of those really good Nothing shows, where there's no real storyline or plot or drama, the SoL elements are weak and the comedy is quirky but never really forces a laugh, but the strength of it's female lead carries the show. In fact, it feels like the Animators came up with this one good character design, and just built the entire show around her; every other character is weak and shallow in comparison, and I'd say even for her the quality of the show suffers because she never develops or grows, but how can she when every other character is so irrelevant?

Hotaru reminds me a lot of Anna from Shimoneta, both in appearance and personality; but instead of being a lust-crazed sex offender with superhuman strength, she's a candy-obsessed (possibly sheltered as a child) eccentric with otherworldy metabolism.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #28370 on: August 02, 2016, 01:38:53 pm »

It's FEF, not FEOF

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28371 on: August 02, 2016, 01:48:52 pm »

If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28372 on: August 02, 2016, 01:49:16 pm »

Oh god what
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28373 on: August 02, 2016, 02:07:10 pm »

Well the whole superhero thing seems pretty played out, so they need a new source of material for live action. Expect to see them scraping the barrel of anime/manga down the track. Myanimelist popularity numbers are probably very relevant here. Out of the top 5, (1)Death Note and (2) SAO are getting US live-action adaptations, (3) Attack on Titan and (4) Fullmetal Alchemist have/are getting Japanese live-action adaptations, and it wouldn't be a stretch if they also got picked up by the USA. Code Geass (#5) live action, when?

I'm actually happy that they're adapting a bad show like SAO. They can't wreck it then because it's already wrecked. Also, seasonal hits such as One Punch Man are good material for an adaptation. USA is probably ready for a heavy duty superhero parody film.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 02:18:49 pm by Reelya »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #28374 on: August 02, 2016, 04:06:46 pm »

I'm actually happy that they're adapting a bad show like SAO. They can't wreck it then because it's already wrecked.
More or less my feeling. I am a little curious what kind of vibe they'll be going for, though.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28375 on: August 02, 2016, 04:15:45 pm »

Yeah I think they might be experimenting with anime adaptations as major action blockbusters in the vein of the comic book ones of the last few years. The Ghost in the Shell adaptation with Scarlett Johansson would be another example.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28376 on: August 02, 2016, 04:54:31 pm »

There's also Tiger and Bunny, the dark horse production in the works. It works because it's already set in America. That got me wondering about Hollywood making a live action Baccano!

Too bad this looks like a parody site:
http://www.animemaru.com/live-action-baccano-adaptation-to-feature-entirely-asian-cast/
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 05:02:14 pm by Reelya »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28377 on: August 02, 2016, 05:03:21 pm »

Pretty sure that's a joke article mocking the Ghost in the Shell adaptation for making everyone white.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28378 on: August 02, 2016, 05:06:33 pm »

Yeah I got that as I read more details. A good parody news article does it's best to read like a real article for the first few paragraphs.

But still, it's plausible when they are actually talking about a good half-dozen adaptations or so in recent years.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28379 on: August 03, 2016, 02:08:02 am »

Ohh gawd growing anime trend and it is hilarious

It is where you give a character a hoodie... but not any ordinary hoodie... an animal hoodie.

Note that they will never wear the hood... It kind of makes them look like closet furry which makes me laugh.

Ps. The funny part is how hard it seems they are trying to hide it. Like they are going "Furry what!?! of course not... there is no way I wear that hood as soon as the cameras shift". It isn't that they are a furry.

Though to admit one of the times I've seen this (a persona anime) the fact that it was a bunny eared hoodie actually SEEMED to have significance at first... until it is later revealed... No it has no significance.

---

Also dang am I tired of animes I need to skip the intros on, in order not to get a face full of spoilers.

----
----

OHHH MY GAWD!!!

So I was looking at Maison Ikkoku and I was going "Wait... that looks like Kagome and her fake boyfriend who I can never remember the name of... I wonder if this was made by the same person"

and BOOM IT TOTALLY WAS!

And... she has a white dog... and... her name Kiyoko is a lot like Kikiyo...

wait... is Inuyasha a... alternate Universe of Maison Ikkoku?

Or... is she meant to be the previous incarnation of Kagome? Wait do they take place in the same universe?

And it isn't like this creator just lacks range... She also did Ramna 1/2 (which... kind of explains the spousal abuse actually)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 04:27:40 am by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 1890 1891 [1892] 1893 1894 ... 2193