Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1887 1888 [1889] 1890 1891 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3070096 times)

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #28320 on: July 28, 2016, 09:37:30 pm »

Making my way through the show now, I agree I liked Hamon better. The Stands aren't bad though, in my opinion.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28321 on: July 28, 2016, 09:37:55 pm »

How about Monster, Neo? That's a murder mystery / thriller that goes for 75 episodes. Sure it's not really a traditional "detective" one but it fits the bill otherwise.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28322 on: July 28, 2016, 09:38:13 pm »

Hamon is mostly a generic power that can do whatever is called for at the time. There's also not much differentiation between individual hamon users. Stands tend to be far more distinct/unique and operate according to an established set of rules (although a lot of the early SDC stands are fairly physical and generic so it takes a while for the difference to become clear).

If you're going to keep writing manga indefinitely I think stands (or something like them) are a far superior system to hamon. With hamon you'd just have to keep power creeping and getting ever powerful users (you can kindof see this process happening in Phantom Blood through Battle Tendancy where you move from vampires to super vampires to super duper vampires). With stands you can just introduce a power that's different but not necessarily stronger than the last one every week.
I would love to see more anime with the visual style of Katanagatari, and less anime with the hollow feeling ending of Katanagatari.
I agree, Katanagatari looked amazing. There are a lot of series that are just settled into the "default" style which looks pretty sterile.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28323 on: July 28, 2016, 09:47:27 pm »

As I said my issue isn't that I wanted there to keep being Hamon users.

I just wanted a wink and a nod that it still exists, that it stopped existing, or what have you.

But Season 4 and on there is no evidence, that I am told anyhow, that it ever existed. Since I guess humanity sucks :P Which would be the thematic reasoning :P

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #28324 on: July 28, 2016, 10:02:07 pm »

I just wanted a wink and a nod that it still exists, that it stopped existing, or what have you.

But Season 4 and on there is no evidence, that I am told anyhow, that it ever existed. Since I guess humanity sucks :P Which would be the thematic reasoning :P
How so? Humanity being awesome is one of the whole themes of the entire series. Araki has even called it a "celebration of humanity". Just because the series doesn't focus on channeling the power of the sun anymore doesn't mean that people are somehow lessened by it.

Yes someone can get a Stand from outside intervention, but people can also be born with them, or obtain them by just becoming so freaking good at a skill that it brings them to spontaneously gain a Stand, and the concept behind them is that they are the manifestations of someone's fighting spirit. In fact the stand users in Part 3 are almost entirely composed of the middle type.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 10:24:28 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #28325 on: July 28, 2016, 11:27:25 pm »

BFEL watched Yuki Yuna is a hero and now we're arguing over who was the Heroest in the series.
Well? Who won?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hamon was always a really rare, special thing, though, which makes it hard to address in a natural way, especially given the settings and goings-on of most of the later parts. You'd basically have to shoehorn any references or explanations of it in for no real benefit other than confirming that Parts 1 and 2 are probably still canon.

I feel like Joseph still using it- and indeed, being better with it than with his Stand- in Part 3 was about as close as you could hope for otherwise.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #28326 on: July 29, 2016, 06:22:23 am »

BFEL watched Yuki Yuna is a hero and now we're arguing over who was the Heroest in the series.
Well? Who won?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The spoiler was my argument, but Karne refuses to see the truth. He is unabating in his Yuna-centric worldview. Convinced that as Yuna is "the female Kamina" she is automagically the heroest, but forgets that while Kamina was the broest, he was not the heroest.

Also, apparently my computers dictionary didn't recognize unabating as a word, but automagically went through with no comment from it. Good job computer.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #28327 on: July 29, 2016, 07:19:46 am »

I dunno, hero mantle IMO goes to the Shinju.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28328 on: July 29, 2016, 07:26:09 am »

Mind you my favorite part of Joe Joe's Adventures is when the villain realizes that every single living being on earth can develop a stand.

So he uses a technique and gets a pack of dogs and chimps to fight for him all with full stand abilities.

And I know what you are all saying "Neonivek that didn't happen!"

And this is where I say: "Yes... But it could have happened."

Well... Ok it has one small little detail... "So he uses a technique and gets a pack of dogs and chimps, all with crazy hair, to fight for him all with full stand abilities"

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28329 on: July 29, 2016, 08:10:50 am »

>joe joe
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28330 on: July 29, 2016, 10:15:51 am »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IANh2rF7NIM

Part 4 does actually explain how DIO assembled his stand army.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28331 on: July 29, 2016, 10:20:16 am »

Honestly I am not sure there really needed to be an explanation.

I mean... as I said... any living being can develop a stand.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #28332 on: July 29, 2016, 10:57:10 am »

I dunno, hero mantle IMO goes to the Shinju.
Yeah give it to the thing that's taking bodily functions away from little girls. Does Kyuubey get an award too? :P
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #28333 on: July 29, 2016, 02:07:27 pm »

Mind you my favorite part of Joe Joe's Adventures is when the villain realizes that every single living being on earth can develop a stand.

So he uses a technique and gets a pack of dogs and chimps to fight for him all with full stand abilities.

And I know what you are all saying "Neonivek that didn't happen!"

And this is where I say: "Yes... But it could have happened."

Well... Ok it has one small little detail... "So he uses a technique and gets a pack of dogs and chimps, all with crazy hair, to fight for him all with full stand abilities"

What the heck are you trying to say here if you know you're making it up?

Honestly I am not sure there really needed to be an explanation.

I mean... as I said... any living being can develop a stand.

Not exactly. You need to have the right type of personality or else getting hit with the stand arrow just kills you.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 02:14:23 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28334 on: July 29, 2016, 03:17:53 pm »

First time the woman heard Dio using The World she turned the funny "Za Warudo" into the even funnier "Eduardo!" and it is kinda hard to unhear sometimes.
Pages: 1 ... 1887 1888 [1889] 1890 1891 ... 2193