Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1873 1874 [1875] 1876 1877 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3068531 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #28110 on: July 06, 2016, 10:13:47 pm »

More Kill la Kill shower thoughts. Do you think it's pretty fair to say it's another deconstruction of the Mahou Shojou genre?
It's about female adolescence, as TTGL is about male adolescence. It's to be expected that it involves elements of the number one female-specific anime genre.
Everything is a deconstruction of mahou shojou if you look at it right
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28111 on: July 06, 2016, 10:20:36 pm »

Gurren Couch Guys.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

KLK Couch Guys.

As for male gaze, let us not forget the glorious hilarity which is Mako's mom.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28112 on: July 07, 2016, 02:21:05 pm »

More Kill la Kill shower thoughts. Do you think it's pretty fair to say it's another deconstruction of the Mahou Shojou genre?
It's about female adolescence, as TTGL is about male adolescence. It's to be expected that it involves elements of the number one female-specific anime genre.

Even Grave of the Fireflies?

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #28113 on: July 07, 2016, 02:39:16 pm »

I'd say Kill la Kill is more of a regular parody of shounen. Then again, my only frame of reference for mahou shoujo is Madoka, so I don't have the strongest grasp on what magical girl shows are all about.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28114 on: July 07, 2016, 09:40:45 pm »

I'd say Kill la Kill is more of a regular parody of shounen. Then again, my only frame of reference for mahou shoujo is Madoka, so I don't have the strongest grasp on what magical girl shows are all about.

Hmm. I'm not super Genre-Literate when it comes to Manga/Anime (thanks BTW Reelya; I'm educating myself on Josei as I write!), and though it's kinda pointless to try to label it, I was still trying to figure out what category to lump KlK into.

It seems like it walks an unusual middle line, combining bits from Magical Girl and Shonen/Seinen "Big Damn Hero" sort of stories. On one hand, the MC is a girl struggling to find a community, friends, and a sense of belonging, despite being abnormal and an outsider; on the other, she's a scrappy lone wolf drifter with a big sword and a murder to avenge, and she's ready to take on anyone that stands in her way. The Mahou Shoujo Transformation Sequence trope applies to male and female characters alike, with outfits for both that are revealing or humorously Gaze-y (as illustrated by Max™). The problems the story presented were generally solved in huge over-the-top fights, but they weren't overcome by strength alone; the aid of friends, community, and family were vital to most (if not all) victories. Along with the DBZ-style "being close to death only makes them stronger" trope, self-love and self-acceptance, the love and emotional support of others, etc. were literal sources of power.

So yeah... it's hard to say, but it seems like a bit of both. That's why I just shorthanded that to "Mahou Shoujo Deconstruction".

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #28115 on: July 07, 2016, 10:00:04 pm »

I'd throw KlK into the absurdist satire bucket, personally. In terms of arbitrary Japanese manga genres, it fits into shounen, because it appeals to boys. I think.

Even Grave of the Fireflies?
Especially Grave of the Fireflies
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 10:03:05 pm by Orange Wizard »
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28116 on: July 08, 2016, 01:59:45 pm »

I FINALLY went back and finished Revolutionary Girl Utena, after something like 2+ years of downtime. Man I wish I had just powered through it the first time cause it gets more and more inordinately awesome the further the series goes on. It's clearly just one of those brainfuck-style Gainax conclusions though, which is bait for the interpretative and analytical types that pour over every detail of a show to find it's "true" meaning, which I'm just not that kinda guy, so I'll just accept the brain fucking and appreciate it.

It still blows my mind how they made a brand new acapella song for nearly every single dramatic conflict in the entire series. Just so many little things that they really didn't have to do, but it pushes the show into a noticeably high caste of quality.

Isn't there a movie now I should see?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28117 on: July 08, 2016, 02:39:51 pm »

Dunno, but apparently the swordfighting sequences where Pearl trains Connie in SU were direct from Utena.

...and now you know, which is great, because knowledge is W/t!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28118 on: July 08, 2016, 03:42:12 pm »

Little Witch Academia TV is apparently a thing, now. no air dates yet.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28119 on: July 08, 2016, 03:51:23 pm »

It'll be on netflix! eeeeeeeeee!
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #28120 on: July 08, 2016, 04:32:57 pm »

7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28121 on: July 08, 2016, 04:51:00 pm »

In other news, someone linked that Junji Ito story about the chasm with the holes in the wall, part way down in the imgur comments there was a .gif from the SU Kindergarten episode with Amethyst sliding back into her hole "It fits me!" which is like a direct reference isn't it?

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #28122 on: July 08, 2016, 06:52:25 pm »

So I just checked out the first episode of Regalia The Three Sacred Stars, and uh...

Wow this is the biggest dissonance between plot, character designs, and content that I have ever seen and it is hilariously amazing.

It's like the main cast is a bunch of tiny moe girls but then the main character is like maximum edge when it comes to the design of their powers and the first guy they fight is this big burly black guy who gets like part of his face blown off and the whole thing is a high power super robot series that's looking to be kinda darkly toned.

It's beautiful.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 06:59:04 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28123 on: July 08, 2016, 07:09:39 pm »

Berserk ep 2 had more of the same disappointing off character designs, though they got Serpico down really well, Farnesse isn't too bad but she's even more dead-eyed and lifeless than she was in the manga panels, and I guess they took some jaw from Guts to donate to Griffith, as he's appropriately gorgeous, but has more of a manly jawline than he should.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28124 on: July 08, 2016, 07:27:19 pm »

Griffith not being super-bishie? By the gods, it's even worse than I expected. If he isn't beautiful naked bisexual fountain man he isn't Griffith.

Though Farnese being dead-eyed actually works, since she's a mentally unhinged pyromaniac sadist-masochist Inquisitor-type with the typical boatload of trauma.

I mean, shit, the only people post-Eclipse who aren't headcases are best witch Schierke (though she's moving in that direction thanks to backseat-driving with Guts when he goes full berserker) and the elves. Isidro doesn't count, he's a parody of the shonen hero archetype.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 1873 1874 [1875] 1876 1877 ... 2193