Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1872 1873 [1874] 1875 1876 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3068569 times)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #28095 on: July 05, 2016, 03:39:10 pm »

I think Shenron said he couldn't because 16 was wholly a robot whereas 17 and 18 were cyborgs. Or something.
Basically this. Which is totally bullshit but its the official explanation. Guess Toriyama is conservative about AI rights.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28096 on: July 05, 2016, 04:00:19 pm »

I think Shenron said he couldn't because 16 was wholly a robot whereas 17 and 18 were cyborgs. Or something.
Basically this. Which is totally bullshit but its the official explanation. Guess Toriyama is conservative about AI rights.

Yes but did he actually state that?

For example he never shown 17 being revived. It took until the end of the Buu saga to reveal that yes, in fact, he was still alive.

I am trying to see if this is either actually said, is a US dub only, or if this is one of those fan assumptions that get passed around so much people project it into the show.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 04:04:21 pm by Neonivek »

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28097 on: July 05, 2016, 04:00:33 pm »

Dang carbon chauvinist; artificial life is still life!

Fond farewells, Kill la Kill. Looking forward to Trigger's next big series... I really like their style.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 04:06:27 pm by Solifuge »

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #28098 on: July 05, 2016, 09:31:51 pm »

Sprin had to go, so it's just me and BFEL today

Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #28099 on: July 05, 2016, 09:52:00 pm »

7:02 PM - Karnewarrior: uh
7:02 PM - Karnewarrior: was that her nipple
7:02 PM - Karnewarrior: or her bellybutton
7:02 PM - bfel001: It was her cervix
7:02 PM - Karnewarrior: oh ok good
7:02 PM - Karnewarrior: I was scared for a second
7:02 PM - Karnewarrior: that I saw a nipple
7:03 PM - Karnewarrior: and my purity in the eyes of god was tainted
Damn it Karne, you cut out the part about "she has a camera inside her, right next to the office depot"
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28100 on: July 05, 2016, 10:41:57 pm »

I snorted loudly and nearly woke up sleeping people at the panty and stocking reference.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28101 on: July 06, 2016, 12:35:49 am »

As I watch through Kiznaiver (which I'm really enjoying, mind you), I'm wondering if there's a gap in the corpus of anime and manga, or if I'm just not informed enough (probably this).

Can you recommend any series that uses unusual scenarios as a means of exploring human nature, relationships, life, or so on, but which centers around a cast of adults rather than school-aged folks? I'm guessing it's just a marketing demographic thing, but it seems like adolescent-focused stories get to have all the fun. I think there's plenty of room for stories built around adult characters dealing with a not-entirely-different set of challenges, between work and/or having young families, or dealing with the challenges of finding work and paying rent, or figuring out how to form new relationships after school, or generally learning how to Adult, you know?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 12:42:57 am by Solifuge »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #28102 on: July 06, 2016, 01:08:47 am »

As I watch through Kiznaiver (which I'm really enjoying, mind you), I'm wondering if there's a gap in the corpus of anime and manga, or if I'm just not informed enough (probably this).
Kiznaiver's an anime original, the manga's basically just a transcript.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28103 on: July 06, 2016, 01:31:50 am »

Generally, the type of stuff you're asking about is classed as Josei

Only generally however:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Josei stuff is so rarely adapted that most of it is pretty good:
http://myanimelist.net/anime/genre/43/Josei

Well, i want through the other lists, Seinen, Shoujo and Shonen and picked out a few more that deal with human nature or relationships in a decent way:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 02:51:35 am by Reelya »

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #28104 on: July 06, 2016, 07:05:08 am »

Haifuri is still a thing... I think...
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28105 on: July 06, 2016, 01:46:17 pm »

Haifuri is completed. It's a one season deal.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28106 on: July 06, 2016, 02:58:41 pm »

Goodness I am never going to get over how excessively expensive and time sinky Gundam Build Fighters is (And Try introduced low damage... and you could still lose models)

I honestly think the villain was right with introducing cheap, affordable, ready to use, and streamlined models.

In fact... I'd have outright made a competition where you had to use those models. Where skill rules.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28107 on: July 06, 2016, 03:06:14 pm »

Yeah that is a bit opposite of the normal scheme of things, because the show is marketed by the people who make model kits. Imagine an equivalent bike racing anime where the "villain" introduced a cheaper range of ready-to-race bikes allowing those without deep pockets to compete, then the "heroes" of the show complained about how this leveled the playing field too much. It would not come off the same at all.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28108 on: July 06, 2016, 05:47:46 pm »

More Kill la Kill shower thoughts. Do you think it's pretty fair to say it's another deconstruction of the Mahou Shojou genre?
It's about female adolescence, as TTGL is about male adolescence. It's to be expected that it involves elements of the number one female-specific anime genre.

Like I said in my last KlK post, I was sorta meh on the Fanservice at first, and I'm still kinda uncomfortable with a few bits; Ryūko and Senketsu's first meeting was kinda rapey, and Sasuki and Ragyō in the bath made me squirm. Same goes for the massive amount of leering dudes, and how that's just considered normal and okay, but that's probably mostly my concern with mainstream Japanese culture and views toward women. On the flip-side, I appreciate how the fellas of Nudist Beach get sexualized too; even if it's mostly played for laughs when the dongles on their mech suits get in people's faces, it's good to see anime being more egalitarian about who wears the skimpy clothes.[/quote]Other people have assured me at length that they disagree, but I wouldn't consider fanservice an appropriate term here. The nudity is a pretty heavy driver of story and characterization and a not-at-all subtle show of female empowerment. I'm also not sure why you call out that it's played for laughs with the males; it's played for laughs with females too but the sexualized aspect of it is way more heavily emphasized with the males, in that there is one male character where it's emphasized consistently and one female character where it comes up in one scene.[/quote]

Speaking of which, that was a Date date between Mako and Ryūko, right?
I'm pretty sure it was intentionally ambiguous. Gotta allow yuri goggles to pick something up, dontcha know. As a service to fans thereof.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28109 on: July 06, 2016, 07:05:53 pm »

So I'm up to Episode 9 of Gurren Lagann, and before 8 I was thinking 'golly gosh will I have some stuff to say, mostly how I really liked the filler episodes and that I overall enjoy the show so far'

And then I watched episode 8. And now I have nothing more to say. (i do still like the show though seriously itsgreat)
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...
Pages: 1 ... 1872 1873 [1874] 1875 1876 ... 2193