Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1860 1861 [1862] 1863 1864 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3067104 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #27915 on: June 19, 2016, 12:19:23 pm »

Sequels I'm looking forward to:
Shokugeki no Souma 2
Arslan Senki 2
Nanatsu no Taizai 2
Handa-kun: (Barakamon prequel)

Sequels I'm not really looking forward to, but will watch anyway:
Love Live
Active Raid
Show By Rock
Rewrite (the latest Key thing)
Binan Koukou Chikyuu Bouei-bu LOVE! LOVE! season 2 of the dude version of Sailor Moon.

Picks of the Season:
Bananya: It's a banana. It's a cat. It's Bananya.

Onara Gorou - he's an anthropomorphic fart

Other stuff that might be ok:
Orange:   Shoujo romcom + time travel. The manga had great reviews.
Saiki Kusuo no Ψ Nan: almost overlooked this but it might be funny, maybe like Sakamoto but with superpowers.
91 Days: Prohibition-era vampires in the USA.
Amaama to Inazuma: Usagi Drop plus a cooking show
Amanchu! scuba-diving yuri slice of life. Was cross promoted with Aria
Sports: Battery(Baseball) and Days(Soccer)
Kono Bijutsubu ni wa Mondai ga Aru! - your typical slice of life with a school arts club
Fukigen na Mononokean - episodic sounding one about spirit problems.
New Game! - lolis who run a video game company.

I skipped over a lot of shows about teenagers with superpowers who have to save the world from monsters while attending highschool btw. Those get dreary fast because they're all the same as each other.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 12:24:23 pm by Reelya »

Atian the Elephantman God

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27916 on: June 19, 2016, 12:27:31 pm »

That pretty much sums up most of what I'm gonna watch also!

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #27917 on: June 19, 2016, 12:40:34 pm »

...ah, yeah. Alternatively, maybe that interpretation of Kill la Kill is so blatantly obvious, it's not worth mentioning! Forgot that possibility. :3
Oh, the interpretation of kill la kill is blatently obvious... if you speak Japanese XD
It's a pun. Kiru (切る) means to cut, the main character does that once an episode and it's almost a stand in for killing someone. The show rites it out phonetically, so they are writing kill out.

There's also another pun in the premise, between Fasho (fascism) and Fashon. That's reason the show started talking about Germany during the cold opener on the first episode. Also, more or less any Japanese viewer would have noticed Satsuki Kiryuuin is a stand in for the meiji emperor, given religious imagery whenever she's entered a scene so far (she shows up with the sun behind her, so it looks like she's shining as the sun would, and the Japanese imperial lineage stems from Amaterasu, the sun goddess). Also worth pointing that the Meiji restoration was involved in passing a lot of the decency laws japan had.

I think those are a few of the things someone would have been expected to notice by episode 6. So shouldn't be a spoiler so far. The show does run on some punny-ness you normally would have missed out on without some knowledge of Japanese. Still is a great show without it, but hopefully that provides a bit of context to it.

granak1031

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27918 on: June 19, 2016, 03:37:02 pm »

...ah, yeah. Alternatively, maybe that interpretation of Kill la Kill is so blatantly obvious, it's not worth mentioning! Forgot that possibility. :3
Oh, the interpretation of kill la kill is blatently obvious... if you speak Japanese XD
It's a pun. Kiru (切る) means to cut, the main character does that once an episode and it's almost a stand in for killing someone. The show rites it out phonetically, so they are writing kill out.

There's also another pun in the premise, between Fasho (fascism) and Fashon. That's reason the show started talking about Germany during the cold opener on the first episode. Also, more or less any Japanese viewer would have noticed Satsuki Kiryuuin is a stand in for the meiji emperor, given religious imagery whenever she's entered a scene so far (she shows up with the sun behind her, so it looks like she's shining as the sun would, and the Japanese imperial lineage stems from Amaterasu, the sun goddess). Also worth pointing that the Meiji restoration was involved in passing a lot of the decency laws japan had.

I think those are a few of the things someone would have been expected to notice by episode 6. So shouldn't be a spoiler so far. The show does run on some punny-ness you normally would have missed out on without some knowledge of Japanese. Still is a great show without it, but hopefully that provides a bit of context to it.

I've watched all of Klk, and I hadn't realized this due to a lack of knowledge of the Japanese language. Thank you!

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27919 on: June 19, 2016, 06:35:31 pm »

I really appreciate you sharing these context tidbits, chaoticag. I might eventually have eventually been able to piece together the title pun from knowing the meaning of Kirigami, but I just thought the title was being edgy by using Engrish! ><;

The Fashion/Fascism thematic pun is a bit oblique, but how friggin cool is that? This is a setting in which clothing literally creates a rigid social system and enables an absolute authority figure to have power over it. Dude!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27920 on: June 19, 2016, 06:42:07 pm »

Kiru can also be to wear/put on.

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27921 on: June 19, 2016, 11:46:36 pm »

The Fashion/Fascism thematic pun is a bit oblique, but how friggin cool is that? This is a setting in which clothing literally creates a rigid social system and enables an absolute authority figure to have power over it. Dude!
Supposedly the whole concept for the show originated in somebody noticing that 'fashion' and 'fascism' have the same spelling in Japanese.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #27922 on: June 20, 2016, 06:19:06 am »

Watched the first episode of Kill la Kill.

It's like if they took a regular shonen anime and cut out everything that wasn't a character introduction or a unique shot. No looped talking animations, no mid-fight exposition, not a single wasted second in between major events, no suffering through seven minutes of belabored circular dialogue just to get to the next scene they actually paid the animators for, no bullshit whatsoever. I think the events of that first episode would have been an entire arc in any other show.

New favorite anime.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #27923 on: June 21, 2016, 12:01:55 pm »

So what's with Kuromukuro last week, only the RAW seems to be out for several days now with no subbed stuff out yet, atleast not in the places I usually get it from.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #27924 on: June 21, 2016, 12:08:54 pm »

The member of gg who does the subbing for it has been busy with personal stuff the past week. They say it hopefully should be out soon.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Madmachine

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarfputer Project FTW
    • View Profile
« Reply #27925 on: June 21, 2016, 01:43:46 pm »

Watched the first episode of Kill la Kill.

It's like if they took a regular shonen anime and cut out everything that wasn't a character introduction or a unique shot. No looped talking animations, no mid-fight exposition, not a single wasted second in between major events, no suffering through seven minutes of belabored circular dialogue just to get to the next scene they actually paid the animators for, no bullshit whatsoever. I think the events of that first episode would have been an entire arc in any other show.

New favorite anime.
Its budget gets strained later on, but not many of those things you mentioned show up at all. I think there's a bit of mid-fight exposition later on, but it's clearly ironic in the way it's presented.

I really appreciate you sharing these context tidbits, chaoticag. I might eventually have eventually been able to piece together the title pun from knowing the meaning of Kirigami, but I just thought the title was being edgy by using Engrish! ><;

Kiru can also be to wear/put on.
Kiru can mean any of the following:
Cut (切る)
Wear/don (着る)
Kill in Engrish (キル)
Kill in native Japanese (斬る) -- espescially to kill by slashing.

I'm guessing they used the katakana spelling (キル) to make it as ambiguous as possible as to which one they're going for. Katakana is often used for double meaning wordplay, since it represents vocal sounds and only vocal sounds.

The show's tagline in Japanese is "キルカ、キラレルカ" or "KIRU KA, KIRARERU KA." This is also all in katakana, including suffixes and particles that could have been left in hiragana without giving away the pun. This is the rough Japanese equivalent of writing in ALL CAPS -- so it's extra edgy. It means, "Cut/wear/kill/kill or be cut/worn/etc." Remember this.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 01:59:03 pm by Madmachine »
I am a Grammar Communist. I believe that the means of word production (i.e: dictionaries) should be seized, for the good of the people.

We are succeeding. You can tell, because the Oxford English Dictionary made an emoji word of the year.

pondicherry

• Bay Watcher
  • Too lazy to write something here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27926 on: June 21, 2016, 02:33:56 pm »

Just watched first episode of Baccano!

I'm so impressed by the intriguing plot and amazing soudtrack and atmosphere... and I'm hooked.
"Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then Stop."

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27927 on: June 21, 2016, 03:25:50 pm »

What I kind of find funny about Anime's Elitism is that even when it is trying to be egalitarian it is being elitist.

World's Mightiest disciple
"Yeah you have absolutely no talent for martial arts. Get that kids? You too can become great if you work hard"
Me: "Yes kids, you just have to have a supernatural endurance, a paragon like amount of willpower, and be tutored by several of the world's greatest martial artists"

Naruto
"I was a loser, but I worked hard and now I am amazing! See you don't have to be a Genius"
Me: "Yes... though having a supernatural creature several thousand times stronger then you enhancing your abilities helped a little... Plus also having a incredibly powerful bloodline in a universe where that directly correlates to power"

MIND YOU! This isn't unique to Anime... The BIGGEST Western example that I cannot mention by name because it is banned from this forum.

---

Though I think I can name a few animes that tried to be "everyone is special" and didn't fudge it up.

Digimon did it (Dang, this one would be spoilers)... and Dog Days in a hilarious fashion, though only for humans and children (adults are old fogies!).

Fairy Tale is ARGUABLY that... Sure they are the most powerful guild filled to the brim of elite powered people... But the main argument the series puts forward is BECAUSE they are an accepting and loving community that takes everyone... they become more powerful for it. While the "Elitism for elitism sake" guilds are inherently weaker.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 03:35:38 pm by Neonivek »

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #27928 on: June 21, 2016, 03:33:53 pm »

Just watched Episode 7 of KLK and I've got something I want to ask of people who've seen more anime than me, and people who know more about Japan's culture and national mind-set than I do.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Digimon did it (Dang, this one would be spoilers)... and Dog Days in a hilarious fashion, though only for humans and children (adults are old fogies!).

DBZ did it. Goku was supposed to be the only Super Saiyan, but then Vegeta did it, then Goku's and Vegeta's kids did it, and eventually the implication was that any Saiyan could be Super Saiyan if they trained hard enough.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Madmachine

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarfputer Project FTW
    • View Profile
« Reply #27929 on: June 21, 2016, 03:35:29 pm »

MIND YOU! This isn't unique to Anime... The BIGGEST Western example that I cannot mention by name because it is banned from this forum.
Dare I ask? I'd like to know what this is so I can avoid mentioning it.
I am a Grammar Communist. I believe that the means of word production (i.e: dictionaries) should be seized, for the good of the people.

We are succeeding. You can tell, because the Oxford English Dictionary made an emoji word of the year.
Pages: 1 ... 1860 1861 [1862] 1863 1864 ... 2193