Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1859 1860 [1861] 1862 1863 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3067086 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #27900 on: June 18, 2016, 02:59:05 am »

You forgot Afghanistan on that last bit but no one conquers Afghanistan unless you're the Mongols.

Alexander the Great?

Well considering that Alexander invaded it because it was part of the Persian Empire, we need to go look up what was going on there. Darius I of the Persian Achaemenid Empire also qualifies as a conqueror of Afghanistan.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 03:13:12 am by Reelya »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #27901 on: June 18, 2016, 03:10:04 am »

It's kind of hard to say that far back, really. The Medes had controlled the area but were replaced by the Persians a few centuries later - whether there was an actual invasion or re-integration kind of thing is anyone's guess.
Before that, probably just neolithic tribes rather than actual civilisation, unless the Indus Valley dudes managed to get that far west. When the Medes came along it might well have been some sort of displacement or even peaceful colonisation.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27902 on: June 18, 2016, 03:48:17 am »

IDK, there wasn't really a long time between the death of Darius and the invasion of Alexander - 150 year separate these two events, and the Medes only appear to have controlled the region for a short time. So we can consider that the population make up in Afghanistan was broadly similar between the invasions of Darius and Alexander.

Darius I created 5 separate military commands (satraps) over the Afghan region, which is similar to what Alexander had to do, with creating many garrisons. I doubt that if it was some easily governed and lightly populated region that it would have been subdivided by Darius into 5 commands.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 03:54:59 am by Reelya »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #27903 on: June 18, 2016, 04:06:13 am »

Eh, fair. I'm certainly not an expert. I was mostly saying it's really hard to tell how much invading was going on prior to Darius.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #27904 on: June 18, 2016, 08:38:21 am »

Had to check what thread I was reading :P
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #27905 on: June 18, 2016, 08:40:13 am »

Watching Girls und Panzer for the first time with Sprin

Rather than posting the whole log, I'll just put the highlights here under a spoiler.
I really need to watch this, don't I?
Yep.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #27906 on: June 18, 2016, 03:58:48 pm »

The ending of Concrete Revolutio was wonderful. Even though things got a little rushed, in the end it managed to perfectly cap off all its themes and purpose, and match its status as one of the most unique and ambitious projects we've seen in recent years. The whole thing was a spectacular roller coaster ride of fun, JUSTICE, 70s culture and history references, and making you actually think about its themes and content. This show's made its way to being one of my favorite anime of all time.

---

In other news, UQ Holder has been announced to be getting an anime adaptation, and will be moving to a monthly schedule on a different magazine in November.
It's FEF, not FEOF

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27907 on: June 18, 2016, 07:42:23 pm »

I've been watching the same damn episode of The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya for three hours. You know the one.

But finally, I'M FREEEEEEEE! The plot shall now continue.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27908 on: June 18, 2016, 08:33:23 pm »

I'm sorta confused now whether you mean the movie or the Endless Eight arc. Both are about three hours long. "Same damn episode ... you know the one" really sounds like a reference to Endless Eight, but Disappearance only refers to the movie (and a single novel from the series). "Melancholy" is the first novel, and the series title as a whole.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 08:36:54 pm by Reelya »

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #27909 on: June 18, 2016, 09:30:36 pm »

Spoiler: Girls Und Panzer 7-9 (click to show/hide)

These episodes didn't have quite as much opportunity for comedy as the previous few, but the few that were were funny.

And then there was the (attempted) Pun hurricane. Sprin was having NONE of it.

Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27910 on: June 19, 2016, 03:06:10 am »

I'm sorta confused now whether you mean the movie or the Endless Eight arc. Both are about three hours long. "Same damn episode ... you know the one" really sounds like a reference to Endless Eight, but Disappearance only refers to the movie (and a single novel from the series). "Melancholy" is the first novel, and the series title as a whole.
I mean the Endless Eight, but apparently the second season is called the Disappearance where I'm watching.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #27911 on: June 19, 2016, 06:55:07 am »

I haven't gotten to that point in the anime. When I do is it safe to skip the majority of those episodes besides the first and last, or is there something plot important that happens in between?
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27912 on: June 19, 2016, 09:23:56 am »

I mean the Endless Eight, but apparently the second season is called the Disappearance where I'm watching.

That's not correct. Season 1 and 2 are both called Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu. (Melancholy). The movie is called Suzumiya Haruhi no Shoushitsu (Disappearance). There are no TV episodes under that title, because it's the title of the specific novel that the movie covers in it's entirety.

I haven't gotten to that point in the anime. When I do is it safe to skip the majority of those episodes besides the first and last, or is there something plot important that happens in between?

You could get away with watching the first and last episode, plus pick a random one from the middle, and get the experience, sort of. But you'd be missing out on a entirely unique anime experience you could never really have again. Each of the episodes has completely different animation. As you can see from this one minute video showing Kyon's little sister telling Kyon to get the phone in all 8 episodes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpAEd17Tdro

Atian the Elephantman God

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27913 on: June 19, 2016, 11:20:16 am »

What Summer animus are you guys looking forward to?

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27914 on: June 19, 2016, 11:58:46 am »

You forgot Afghanistan on that last bit but no one conquers Afghanistan unless you're the Mongols.

Alexander the Great?
He's literally where the "graveyard of empires" meme started.
Pages: 1 ... 1859 1860 [1861] 1862 1863 ... 2193