Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1858 1859 [1860] 1861 1862 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3067065 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #27885 on: June 17, 2016, 04:20:52 am »

Wh... wha? It goes back to Japan. Why does everything go back to Japan.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #27886 on: June 17, 2016, 07:17:34 am »

... everything doesn't? But a lot of stuff even marginally anime related (and pedobear is definitely that, as the considered example) does, for... pretty obvious reasons.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27887 on: June 17, 2016, 09:01:57 am »

Maybe it's a stretch, or you don't agree, or revelations in future episodes of Kill la Kill will make this all look pretty stupid in hindsight, but there you have it!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #27888 on: June 17, 2016, 09:19:14 am »

Nah, near as I'm aware what you're seeing is what's fairly commonly seen, to one extent or another, by folks that watch KlK and don't immediately walk off. It'd fairly well suffice to say that Trigger was almost certainly actually being very intentional with the costume (and lack thereof) design and how it was used. Though there also was almost certainly something of a cake in both hands deal going on; it's fanservice, it's parody, and it's also sorta' played straight at the same time. One of the few instances in media I can recall that skimpily dressed high school girls (and guys, too, for what it's worth) was in fact something of a point of pretty substantial artistic/thematic merit and used with an oddly significant amount of taste and plot-appropriateness.

Would also add, as you sorta' mentioned, that there's a very definite sort of progression in regards to acceptance of the body and whatnot. Not sure how much of it's specifically in relation to existent japanese mores and how much is just kinda' generic/universal, but yeah. Self-image and whatnot does seem to be a fairly considered aspect of the writing/design/etc. involved.

Later revelations will probably change your outlook on the school system and whatnot, but... well, we'll leave that there. Don't think the bigger reveals had been hammered on too hard by ep six, iirc. It still has a fair amount of weirdness to go through, ehehe.
Ask not!
Ask!

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27889 on: June 17, 2016, 10:02:01 am »

...ah, yeah. Alternatively, maybe that interpretation of Kill la Kill is so blatantly obvious, it's not worth mentioning! Forgot that possibility. :3

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #27890 on: June 17, 2016, 10:06:57 am »

Naaaaah, it's worth mentioning. Plenty of people do just walk off or don't really pay much attention to the plot et al. Just noting you weren't stretching and that there's some agreement on the point, heh.
Ask not!
Ask!

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #27891 on: June 17, 2016, 01:15:06 pm »

Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai

Found this little gem of a manga. It's about a rich girl and a smart guy, both genius among genius. Both think the other will fall in love with them. Both have a massive ego. It's a battle to make the other confess.

It's a rom-com with a layer of "all according to keikaku" under the typical rom-com situations.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27892 on: June 17, 2016, 04:53:23 pm »

On a whim I picked up "Himouto! Umaru-chan" about a blessed child that's perfect at everything in public, but at home she's a Gamertrash Dorito Gremlin.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #27893 on: June 17, 2016, 09:35:29 pm »

Watching Girls und Panzer for the first time with Sprin

Rather than posting the whole log, I'll just put the highlights here under a spoiler.

Spoiler: Episodes 3-6 (click to show/hide)
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #27894 on: June 17, 2016, 09:53:54 pm »

You forgot Afghanistan on that last bit but no one conquers Afghanistan unless you're the Mongols.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #27895 on: June 17, 2016, 09:55:17 pm »

The mongols were the exception to a lot of things.

Also yes. Girls und Panzer is great.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #27896 on: June 17, 2016, 09:58:59 pm »

Maybe it's a stretch, or you don't agree, or revelations in future episodes of Kill la Kill will make this all look pretty stupid in hindsight, but there you have it!
Not a bad explanation (later issues aside), but my issue is that it's more elaborate and formal than it needs to be. You can get basically the same effect by combining "be proud of your body! it's mandatory!" and "evil conformist military establishment wants to stop you, maaan!" without any particular interplay or historical precedent.

Rather than posting the whole log, I'll just put the highlights here under a spoiler.
I really need to watch this, don't I?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #27897 on: June 17, 2016, 10:01:36 pm »

I really need to watch this, don't I?
We weren't kidding about it being Waifu Generator + Tanks.

It's not Yuki Yuna Spectacular but it's already a Great Animetm
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27898 on: June 17, 2016, 10:11:58 pm »

You forgot Afghanistan on that last bit but no one conquers Afghanistan unless you're the Mongols.

Alexander the Great?

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #27899 on: June 17, 2016, 11:50:31 pm »

The Romans probably would have conquered it, but they kept giving up because of the lack of loot.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.
Pages: 1 ... 1858 1859 [1860] 1861 1862 ... 2193