Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1855 1856 [1857] 1858 1859 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3066890 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #27840 on: June 11, 2016, 10:28:58 pm »

Yeah, there's a pretty substantial guilty pleasure gap, where people watch things they know are bad because they're good popcorn material.

On an unrelated note, can I drop straight into the new Macross without having watched anything more than the original series and part of Frontier?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #27841 on: June 11, 2016, 10:45:00 pm »

Yeah, there's a pretty substantial guilty pleasure gap, where people watch things they know are bad because they're good popcorn material.

On an unrelated note, can I drop straight into the new Macross without having watched anything more than the original series and part of Frontier?
Yeah storywise it's standalone.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27842 on: June 11, 2016, 10:50:01 pm »

Though watching Macross Plus and Macross Zero might be both shorter and better, and they will flesh out a bit of the backstory that's relevant to all the more recent Macross'.

Personally, I think Delta is below either Macross 7 or Frontier, myself. Frontier had a more focused story and setting, whereas 7 was just insane, but held together by Basara's obsession with getting the aliens to just rock out. Delta just feels like it's all over the shop without any really strong theme to pull it together.

EDIT: BTW for shorts this season Aggressive Retsuko is surprisingly fun. 1 minute per episode.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 11:48:13 pm by Reelya »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27843 on: June 12, 2016, 12:39:55 am »

Well, I'm going to start giving Mayoiga a look now. Not many people watching that?

I haven't gotten around to watching it yet, but it's on my "Want to Watch" list. From your brief description, it sounds kinda like Higurashi?
Well I'm going of hearsay that there's violence up ahead, but as of episode 1, the show is playing its cards extremely close to it's chest. We have a busload of disenchanted young people, going to some named hidden village on the promise that it'll change their lives. Where is the village? What happens there? How many people are in this village? Even the people driving the bus claim not to know any of the answers to those questions.

At this point a valid theory is that they keep driving around on the bus chasing some phantom village, and fucked up shit happens to them as they go, and there isn't even a village, at all. After all, the bus is shown on the poster for the series, not a village.

EDIT: a few eps in now. Hoo boy, I'm getting a few Higurashi flashbacks now. But it's definitely one of the weaker "mysterious village" anime. Can't really recommend it over previous ones.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 03:26:49 am by Reelya »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27844 on: June 13, 2016, 07:44:04 pm »

From what I've heard it's decidedly meh.

3. Run Resize Enable

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #27845 on: June 13, 2016, 09:05:02 pm »

From what I've heard it's decidedly meh.
I found it to be a very entertaining trainwreck
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27846 on: June 13, 2016, 09:46:58 pm »

Especially Lovepon, she's so kawaii.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27847 on: June 13, 2016, 10:04:14 pm »

<double post due to connection issues>
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 10:49:34 pm by Reelya »

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27848 on: June 13, 2016, 10:05:37 pm »

Eessppeecciiaallyy Lloovveeppoonn

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #27849 on: June 13, 2016, 10:26:54 pm »

Recently watched Berserk. Was pretty good, but it seemed quite in a rush to end things which was bothersome. Is that a kind of standard thing for anime based on manga?

Anyhow, I watched the first three episodes of something called "Mezzo". I'm not particularly impressed - I was expecting something similar to Black Lagoon, but the first three episodes were about a ghost, an alien and a quite nasty virus - so I was wondering if any of y'all think it's worth watching the next 10 episodes?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27850 on: June 13, 2016, 10:28:58 pm »

Assuming you're talking about the original TV run, they just cut things off at the end of the Golden Age arc's climax, so you missed out on both the wind-down and the 90% or so of the material that took place after that.

3. Run Resize Enable

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #27851 on: June 13, 2016, 10:35:10 pm »

So it's basically just to get folk interested in the manga then? That would explain the abrupt end which was kind-of-but-not-really conclusive.

I would look out the manga, but I'm not sure about 'em yet. I have Shigurui on a hard-drive, feeling rather intimidated by the ~20 volumes of stuff though.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27852 on: June 13, 2016, 10:53:11 pm »

The difference in cost between making some manga and animating it is huge. So it's not cost-effective to continue literally every show out there.

A rough idea, let's say there's a mangaka and 3 assistants working full time on a weekly manga. Say the mangaka gets $30K and the assistants get $10K (which is typical wages in anime studios). That's $60K per year $1200 per chapter. If 8 chapters = 1 volume, then the total costs to create a volume is around $10K.

An average anime costs about $300K per episode. If it's an adaptation, then 3-4 eps per manga/LN volume is about normal. So each manga volume which costs $10K to create would need around $1 million in funding to animate it. A factor of 100:1.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 11:07:29 pm by Reelya »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27853 on: June 13, 2016, 10:59:24 pm »

Well, sorta, but that's just a common thing in general, either because the anime catches the manga, because they can't get funded for another season, &c...

Berserk is excellent, but it's also very long-running for a series with great art, interesting characters, and a solid plot (as opposed to shit that can be churned out endlessly), with the 38th volume slated for release this month; the first was published in 1990. So, theoretically speaking, an online format would probably be the easiest on your wallet and hard drive space, assuming you don't have a data cap. Wink wink nudge nudge.

It's definitely worth reading, though. Hell, it's worth looking at even if you're illiterate, the art is fucking intense. The sheer level of detail, I suspect, is part of why it takes so long for new chapters sometimes (though that's not the only reason).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Nearly every shitty visual convention typical to manga is either used sparingly or not touched at all. Easily the first and greatest thing that caused me to pick it up in the first place.

3. Run Resize Enable

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27854 on: June 13, 2016, 11:04:17 pm »

Whoa.  That art is intense.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.
Pages: 1 ... 1855 1856 [1857] 1858 1859 ... 2193