Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1848 1849 [1850] 1851 1852 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3066214 times)

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
It's FEF, not FEOF

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #27736 on: May 26, 2016, 10:08:32 pm »

Okay, so my sole exposure to that franchise is a few times of watching other people play. But.

Something about the scale involved there seems... off. Also the riding thing! I don't remember seeing the riding thing. Just how much of that trailer(?) triggered instinctive revulsion from people that actually play the game?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #27737 on: May 26, 2016, 10:13:46 pm »

Yes. Can be good for comedy. Also a buncha' other stuff! Including romance.
That doesn't really make it not-fanservice, does it? Unless I'm being too liberal with my definition.

Oh hey a monster hunter anime- oh what the hell
There's something very wrong here
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #27738 on: May 26, 2016, 10:17:11 pm »

More than just fanservice, OW, was the distinction I was making, if it needs to be made more explicit. You can have fanservice and other stuff, too.
Ask not!
Ask!

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #27739 on: May 26, 2016, 10:22:35 pm »

I was trying to make the point that ecchi implies fanservice, so never mind
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #27740 on: May 26, 2016, 10:30:08 pm »

Ah. Was coming across as implying only fanservice (i.e. the series could have no other redeeming features if labeled ecchi), so yeah, misunderstanding squelched.
Ask not!
Ask!

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27741 on: May 26, 2016, 11:49:06 pm »

it definitely looks like crux would have been more accurate to say it's not just for fanservice.
I guess. I don't watch it for fanservice, but now that I think of it there was a beach episode. Even though it spend more time on character development and the shots of girls in fanservicey outfits immediately cut to the MC not even noticing, because he was busy paying attention to his own woman. Perhaps it's fanservice of the heart, rather than fanservice of the dick.

Yes. Can be good for comedy. Also a buncha' other stuff! Including romance.
That doesn't really make it not-fanservice, does it? Unless I'm being too liberal with my definition.
If "it's comedy" means "it's fanservice" then that's a super liberal definition. Yes, if you take the word apart it could mean "anything added to the show because the fans would like it" but generally it's a word used, with negative connotation, to refer to lewd or erotic content that doesn't contribute anything to the work besides cheap titillation.

I was trying to make the point that ecchi implies fanservice, so never mind
Ah. Was coming across as implying only fanservice (i.e. the series could have no other redeeming features if labeled ecchi), so yeah, misunderstanding squelched.
I think y'all are being too broad in your definitions. Perhaps ecchi could imply fanservice, but it doesn't denote it. Something can easily have ecchi bits, in the sense that there are scenes with less than full clothing or with sexual undertones. Netoge no Yome does, because it's a romance and that's all but mandatory for an even remotely serious romance. I gave a definition for fanservice above, which is distinct from that definition for ecchi in that it includes a measure of utility or value.

That said, I seem to give far fewer fucks about either than much of this thread does. Y'all are positively American about it.

Okay, so my sole exposure to that franchise is a few times of watching other people play. But.

Something about the scale involved there seems... off. Also the riding thing! I don't remember seeing the riding thing. Just how much of that trailer(?) triggered instinctive revulsion from people that actually play the game?
I don't play it much, but more is off than the scale. The games are about adults killing monsters and forging weapons and armor from their remains. The show seems to be a daytime anime cashgrab to promote merchandising among younger audiences, so it has more children and less slaughter. The riding, to my knowledge, isn't in any of the games, but I don't think there's a strong reason it couldn't be. Actually, a monster rancher type spinoff game focusing on breeding and working harmoniously with monsters might be fun in its own right. I'm not interested in that anime, but then, I'm not the audience for it. And a monster hunter anime aimed at me wouldn't have any means of generating the revenue streams that would be worth CapCom's time.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #27742 on: May 26, 2016, 11:53:50 pm »

The anime's an adaptation of a spinoff rpg that's currently in production. Still kinda weird though.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #27743 on: May 27, 2016, 12:32:58 am »

If "it's comedy" means "it's fanservice" then that's a super liberal definition. Yes, if you take the word apart it could mean "anything added to the show because the fans would like it" but generally it's a word used, with negative connotation, to refer to lewd or erotic content that doesn't contribute anything to the work besides cheap titillation.
Um, yes? Cheap titillation is the definition I'm using. So jiggle physics, butt shots, cleavage, and so on all fall under the banner. Netoge seemed to have a fair bit from what I recall.

I think y'all are being too broad in your definitions. Perhaps ecchi could imply fanservice, but it doesn't denote it. Something can easily have ecchi bits, in the sense that there are scenes with less than full clothing or with sexual undertones.
I don't know if sexual undertones could be classed as ecchi so much, unless they're actually sexy. Like "walk me home gently" from Bakemonogatari, or the rapes in Kara no Kyoukai - the involvement of sex doesn't necessarily make it ecchi.

That said, I seem to give far fewer fucks about either than much of this thread does. Y'all are positively American about it.
I don't know what this means but offended on principle of being called American

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27744 on: May 27, 2016, 01:04:02 am »

Um, yes? Cheap titillation is the definition I'm using. So jiggle physics, butt shots, cleavage, and so on all fall under the banner. Netoge seemed to have a fair bit from what I recall.
Maybe I'm just not noticing things, but the only shots I've noticed are the ones mentioned in my previous post. A certain amount of jiggling and cleavage are just normal though, to the extent that removing it would be 4kids-tier censorship. I mean, anime art doesn't always go for realism, but why criticize it when it does represent things accurately? Warm weather clothing tends to show cleavage, and certain body parts jiggle naturally, especially on heavier folks.

I think y'all are being too broad in your definitions. Perhaps ecchi could imply fanservice, but it doesn't denote it. Something can easily have ecchi bits, in the sense that there are scenes with less than full clothing or with sexual undertones.
I don't know if sexual undertones could be classed as ecchi so much, unless they're actually sexy. Like "walk me home gently" from Bakemonogatari, or the rapes in Kara no Kyoukai - the involvement of sex doesn't necessarily make it ecchi.
I'll concede that, although it's hard to make a definite definition which allows for that distinction. Not that walking her home gently really counts as sexual in my view, it merely alluded to sex occurring but nothing happened on-screen.

I don't know what this means but offended on principle of being called American
It means making a big deal of and getting put off by stuff that's totally fucking normal, because it breaks the carefully cultivated puritan illusion that human sexuality is a lie told by the devil. I'm exaggerating, but not by that much.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #27745 on: May 27, 2016, 01:20:27 am »

Maybe I'm just not noticing things, but the only shots I've noticed are the ones mentioned in my previous post. A certain amount of jiggling and cleavage are just normal though, to the extent that removing it would be 4kids-tier censorship. I mean, anime art doesn't always go for realism, but why criticize it when it does represent things accurately? Warm weather clothing tends to show cleavage, and certain body parts jiggle naturally, especially on heavier folks.
"Contains fanservice" isn't a criticism? But yeah, it depends on the presentation. If it's not emphasised and makes sense in context then you can't really call it fanservice, though sod if I know where that line falls.
As I said, Netoge's stuff seems pretty ecchi, but if you don't care about it then... whatever, I guess.

It means making a big deal of and getting put off by stuff that's totally fucking normal, because it breaks the carefully cultivated puritan illusion that human sexuality is a lie told by the devil. I'm exaggerating, but not by that much.
Haha, what? Not sure where you got that idea. I like fanservice, assuming it's not obnoxious.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27746 on: May 27, 2016, 01:52:26 am »

I demand crotch jiggle on at least 50% of the male cast.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #27747 on: May 27, 2016, 02:29:40 am »

Oh hey a monster hunter anime- oh what the hell
There's something very wrong here
Well I think it's great that Digimon is branching out and experimenting a little.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27748 on: May 27, 2016, 04:15:49 am »

Video's not loading for me. What's so bad about the monster hunter anime?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #27749 on: May 27, 2016, 04:20:59 am »

There's a bunch of garishly-coloured six year olds riding hippogriffs
Pages: 1 ... 1848 1849 [1850] 1851 1852 ... 2193