Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1847 1848 [1849] 1850 1851 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3065819 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #27720 on: May 25, 2016, 06:45:15 pm »

Length is a big one. Two hours is, what, six episodes? And since they're usually doing it with fairly large, popular series to begin with, that results in a lot of compression and cutting and shoehorning to make A Movie that is also totally The Original Thing.

Vastly differing mediums/styles is another. How is alchemy going to look? In the anime, it looks like whatever looked cool and was easy to draw. In the movie, it's going to look totally different and/or terrible, because what's easy and cool is different there. Apply to everything, and there we go.

Vastly differing styles/conventions is the same basic issue, just less hardcoded. How old do you think the brothers will be? Unless it's being billed as "a kid's movie," I'd wager a lot older than in the anime, because anime works one way and movies work another. That's not necessarily an issue with finding good actors or the like, it's just what the audience and industry expects, so it mimics the above medium/style divergence issues for slightly different reasons.

TL;DR: Abridged hard translation is terrible, abridged artistic liberty translation is different, and there isn't really a third option.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Atian the Elephantman God

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27721 on: May 25, 2016, 08:54:27 pm »

Turns out I dont like anime as much as people think I do... Is this weird in anyway?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27722 on: May 25, 2016, 09:13:15 pm »

How old do you think the brothers will be? Unless it's being billed as "a kid's movie," I'd wager a lot older than in the anime, because anime works one way and movies work another. That's not necessarily an issue with finding good actors or the like, it's just what the audience and industry expects, so it mimics the above medium/style divergence issues for slightly different reasons.
I dunno. In some cases, yeah, but for FMA I seriously doubt that they could maintain Ed and Al as the same character with adult actors. Too much of their personalities and quirks are too closely tied to their ages, and Edward in particular is specifically noteworthy in-universe partially because of his youth. So either they pretty drastically alter the characters, or they pretty drastically alter the tone, or they take a risk with child actors in mature roles going against typical cinematic convention.

Imagine how much shit you'd have to cut or alter if Al was a 20-something in the film, for example.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #27723 on: May 26, 2016, 06:15:24 am »

Imagine how much shit you'd have to cut or alter if Al was a 20-something in the film, for example.
It would almost be easier to just write a whole new IP.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27724 on: May 26, 2016, 08:08:35 pm »

There's no objective criteria by which I can argue that Netoge no Yome is a good anime. But every time I watch it, I end up feeling happy.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #27725 on: May 26, 2016, 08:21:12 pm »

I dropped Netoge pretty much immediately. I suppose I could have stayed for the fanservice but I've got Bakuon for that.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Cthulufaic

• Bay Watcher
  • whats a touhou
    • View Profile
« Reply #27726 on: May 26, 2016, 08:27:30 pm »

I dropped Netoge pretty much immediately. I suppose I could have stayed for the fanservice but I've got Bakuon for that.
I read that as Bakugan, the objectively best anime about kids rolling plastic balls onto cards.

Also, started watching Zatch Bell(or Gash Bell, if you're the kind of person that says Gatsu instead of Guts YOU MONSTER) and I expected it to be a fun little show for kids. 
I mean, its ABOUT kids but that's as close as I got.  It's pretty good too.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #27727 on: May 26, 2016, 08:29:42 pm »

I actually vaguely remember that thing getting pretty intense at points. It was airing in the states for good long while, years back.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27728 on: May 26, 2016, 08:35:17 pm »

It's not for fanservice. It's for cute romance. If you don't like that then you won't like it, but be aware that despite appearances it's not a harem show.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27729 on: May 26, 2016, 09:16:34 pm »

Speaking of translation disputes... I still think that Raging Heart sounds better, matches the original VA work better, and makes more sense than Raising Heart. ;.;

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #27730 on: May 26, 2016, 09:25:19 pm »

I'unno FD, Raising certainly fits the gundam thing better. Nanoha's totally an inspiration and whatnot, too. Just. Sometimes through violence. The heart makes no mention as to if they're being raised up from their troubles or in preparation for a suplex.
Ask not!
Ask!

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #27731 on: May 26, 2016, 09:27:17 pm »

It's not for fanservice. It's for cute romance. If you don't like that then you won't like it, but be aware that despite appearances it's not a harem show.
On MAL the show's tagged as ecchi, pretty sure it's for fanservice
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #27732 on: May 26, 2016, 09:29:40 pm »

Sometimes ecchi is for more than fanservice, OW. Though yeah, checking images from the show it definitely looks like crux would have been more accurate to say it's not just for fanservice.
Ask not!
Ask!

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #27733 on: May 26, 2016, 09:36:54 pm »

Sometimes ecchi is for more than fanservice, OW.
Is it though

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #27734 on: May 26, 2016, 09:49:00 pm »

Yes. Can be good for comedy. Also a buncha' other stuff! Including romance.
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 1847 1848 [1849] 1850 1851 ... 2193