Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1846 1847 [1848] 1849 1850 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3065699 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #27705 on: May 24, 2016, 09:08:32 pm »

If they're getting things wrong which are already in English and well-established in the source material, what confidence should we put in their ability to correctly decipher the Japanese parts?

Back-translating English always seems to give subbers trouble. Like when the anime you're watching is set in America and all the characters have English names, you just know you're going to get some kind of phonetic Romaji mess instead of a sensible name spelling.
Which is what I was saying about Kiniro Mosaic and the English character "Alice Cartwright". The subs say "Alice Cartalet" but the voice actors clearly say "Alice Cartwright". The official pronunciation clearly shows the manga author's intention. The "official" English name "Alice Cartalet" is due to transliteration of Cartwright into Katakana then back into Romaji. The romaji isn't even consistent. It should be "Arisu Karutareto".
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 09:24:49 pm by Reelya »

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #27706 on: May 24, 2016, 09:28:19 pm »

It's FEF, not FEOF

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #27707 on: May 24, 2016, 10:08:13 pm »

... Somehow, throughout years of watching subs on unofficial sites, I never realized that there were actually people that had to translate the episodes and put the subs in. And that those people could be really, really bad at it.

I wonder how many anime I passed off as incomprehensible because I happened to be watching a shitty sub? :o
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #27708 on: May 24, 2016, 10:31:02 pm »

I still have my Hong Kong sub of Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne on my shelf, and I still fondly remember the time in our old anime club where, due to the fact that the translation group we were originally following stalled out, we ended up watching (and all but MSTing) a Hong Kong sub of two episodes of Ghost in the Shell. :D I think that the show I watched that had the most trouble between the fansub group and the actual names due to romanization woes, though, was Princess Tutu.  Claire became Kraehe, Mute became Mytho, Fakia became Fakir, Pike became Pique, and most modestly, Ruu became Rue and Ririe Lilie.  The group owned up to it pretty quick, though.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #27709 on: May 24, 2016, 11:01:14 pm »

Yeah even official subs can be screwy. From what I've seen, Symphogear's Crunchyroll subs have a reputation for being overall less accurate than Commie Sub's despite that group having their own issues (particularly when it comes to the naming of Tsubasa's relic), and part of the issues with G-Reco stemmed from poor subbing quality to the point that some lines were translated as the complete opposite of their actual meaning and made Tomino's signature unusual dialogue style become even more confusing than it normally is.

Speaking of Hong Kong subs, the old hong kong subs for Mazinger Z are legendary. We call them crabsticks.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 11:04:39 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27710 on: May 24, 2016, 11:30:14 pm »

... Somehow, throughout years of watching subs on unofficial sites, I never realized that there were actually people that had to translate the episodes and put the subs in.
So when someone's like "Hey guys here's this release" or "the release will be delayed because so-and-so is having difficulties" or "We need people! Come typeset for us!", how did you parse that¿
Yeah even official subs can be screwy.
That's less of an "even" and more of an "especially". It seems to be getting better over time, but over the last decade, official subs have generally tended to not be the best available. And that's just translation, they're still utter bottom of the barrel in typesetting.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #27711 on: May 24, 2016, 11:34:28 pm »

... Somehow, throughout years of watching subs on unofficial sites, I never realized that there were actually people that had to translate the episodes and put the subs in.
So when someone's like "Hey guys here's this release" or "the release will be delayed because so-and-so is having difficulties" or "We need people! Come typeset for us!", how did you parse that?

Most of the anime series that I watch have been over for years and years at this point, and thus subbed to hell and back. If they're newer, I likely watch them on Netflix or Crunchyroll or something and get official subs. The websites where I watch these shows usually have no affiliation with the subbing groups at all.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27712 on: May 24, 2016, 11:37:29 pm »

If they're newer, I likely watch them on Netflix or Crunchyroll or something and get official subs. The websites where I watch these shows usually have no affiliation with the subbing groups at all.
Oh. How plebian.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #27713 on: May 24, 2016, 11:40:51 pm »

I like chinese cartoons but they're not my main focus, kinda like how somebody can draw those chinese cartoons but not call themselves an anime artist

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #27714 on: May 25, 2016, 12:49:35 am »

I like chinese cartoons but they're not my main focus, kinda like how somebody can draw those chinese cartoons but not call themselves an anime artist
Nah m8 you're watching anime WRONG
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27715 on: May 25, 2016, 08:26:11 am »

Live action film of Fullmetal Alchemist set to release next year. The cast is all-Japanese, but they're filming it in Italy, for that European architecture look.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #27716 on: May 25, 2016, 08:45:58 am »

... okay, are they actually going whole hog and having a short blonde double amputee playing ed? Because that'd ratchet up my potential respect for the movie and its makers a fairly substantial amount.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27717 on: May 25, 2016, 12:31:42 pm »

... okay, are they actually going whole hog and having a short blonde double amputee playing ed? Because that'd ratchet up my potential respect for the movie and its makers a fairly substantial amount.
Yeah, but they have to catch him first. Guy doesn't like bonesaws, apparently.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27718 on: May 25, 2016, 01:26:20 pm »

Yeah, but they have to catch him first. Guy doesn't like bonesaws, apparently.
Make sure you have working prosthetics beforehand.  Safety First.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #27719 on: May 25, 2016, 01:27:52 pm »

That can only end horribly I think. Honestly, live action adaptations only work on cheesy OOT stuff I think, anything else just translates kinda poorly. Not sure why exactly tbh
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG
Pages: 1 ... 1846 1847 [1848] 1849 1850 ... 2193