Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1845 1846 [1847] 1848 1849 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3065666 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #27690 on: May 21, 2016, 07:42:05 pm »

Just finished watching My Little Monster. Can someone recommend me a good similar romance anime?
Not necessarily similar, but looking through my list a few romcoms/dramas stick out:

Nazo no Kanojo X
Golden Time
Myself; Yourself
Your Lie In April
Kokoro Connect
Sankarea

I could probably name a few more but they'd be heading into the harem/SOL category.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #27691 on: May 21, 2016, 08:04:00 pm »

I'm afraid I've never seen My Little Monster, either, so I'll be going general as well.  I'll definitely second Kimi ni Todoke and somewhat second Toradora as well.  I'll also add three more for the sake of it.

Honey and Clover - Love triangles at an art college.  Focuses on romance, coming of age, and shenanigans.
Nodame Cantabile - Relationship between a musical prodigy who wants to become a conductor and a highly talented but questionably-motivated piano student at a musical academy.  It's a bit more slapstick.
Princess Jellyfish - Otaku girl (her particular obsession being jellyfish, hence the name) lives in a NEET paradise where the two big rules are no men and no fashionable people.  Otaku girl meets fashionable girl.  Fashionable girl turns out to be eldest son of the Prime Minister's brother.  Hilarity ensues.

EDIT:
I suppose I can add Maison Ikkoku as well, and maybe Kimagure Orange Road as well.  They're both rather long, however, and they're both more than a bit old.  I'm not sure KOR in particular has aged all that well, or maybe I just got older.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 08:11:48 pm by Culise »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27692 on: May 21, 2016, 09:09:55 pm »

My Little Monster is more of a highschool shoujo one. "Honor student girl falls for the delinquent guy. Romcom  + drama ensues" is the vibe I got from the few eps I watched. It's not bad or anything, it's just buried under a pile of other things I need to watch.

So a few more in that vein:

Ore Monogatari
His and Her Circumstances
Itazura na Kiss

I really need to get back and finish Lovely Complex sometime as well. That one was really funny, from the bits I saw.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #27693 on: May 21, 2016, 09:41:11 pm »

The only romance I liked that hasn't been listed is Say I Love You, but that has virtually no comedy at all. If you like stupid teenage drama though, it fits the bill.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

granak1031

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27694 on: May 21, 2016, 11:49:40 pm »

Just finished watching My Little Monster. Can someone recommend me a good similar romance anime?

Haven't seen My Little Monster. But, as for suggestions that MAY help....

Kaichou wa Maid-sama
Toradora
Lovely Complex

Kimi ni Todoke would be another, but I prefer the Live-Action Drama over the anime. Same with Nodame Cantabile.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #27695 on: May 23, 2016, 05:11:05 am »

Currently binging my way through Durararararara. It's fantastic. Also whoever came up with the idea of a black Russian sushi seller is my hero.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #27696 on: May 23, 2016, 07:50:38 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ok, having now rewatched it (thanks for that btw, didn't really need those two days anyways xD) I can safely say that it's more than a plot point. The only two times where it affects the heroes in a positive way and they actually used it is in the last five or so episodes, one of those times being in the actual last episode after the crisis has ended. And once again, they never break the rules, the stone obeys the rules too it just uses a loose interpretation of them to seemingly provide unlimited power.

Anyways, that was rather enjoyable, now to get back to watching other stuff I guess XD
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #27697 on: May 23, 2016, 10:32:38 am »

If I remember correctly, that was a series where the main character was the girl. Can't think of any romance series I've watched which I'd recommend where the girl was the main character.

So. Here's general romance stuff I've watched that I'd consider good enough to recommend. That hasn't been mentioned by other people.

5 Centimetres Per Second
My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU season 1.

5CMPS is technically a movie not a series but still worth watching. I specify season 1 of SNAFU because season 2 seems to lean more towards drama than romance or comedy, but if you enjoy season 1 there's no reason to not try season 2.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #27698 on: May 23, 2016, 07:05:47 pm »

Glad I watched Little Witch Academia, or I would have NO fucking idea what was going on there in Luluco.
They seem to be visiting ALL their other universes. Also Nova's sheer inability to give a damn about Luluco's feelings continues to be hilarious.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27699 on: May 23, 2016, 10:23:29 pm »

In the previous Macross Delta episode, the subs said "t-point barrier". There ain't no such tech as a T-Point barrier. What it actually sounded like was "pinpoint barrier", in English, one of the signature technologies developed in the original Macross. This "T-point barrier" just happens to look and function exactly the same as the Pinpoint Barrier, and has a name that sounds pretty much identical. Funny that.

Subbers who don't know the source material can really ruin suspension of disbelief. If they're getting things wrong which are already in English and well-established in the source material, what confidence should we put in their ability to correctly decipher the Japanese parts?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 10:29:26 pm by Reelya »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27700 on: May 23, 2016, 11:30:20 pm »

Subbers are all shitheads, this is a known fact. The only thing worse than the average sub group is the quality of the average dub VA performance.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27701 on: May 24, 2016, 12:22:40 am »

Glad I watched Little Witch Academia, or I would have NO fucking idea what was going on there in Luluco.
They seem to be visiting ALL their other universes.
I think I even saw a little call-out to SEX and VIOLENCE with MACHSPEED. But I think only this season is going to be as direct with the references, which means three IPs total. We've already seen their two biggest original IPs, and Inferno Cop has already given a major character. I wonder what number three will be?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 12:34:12 am by Cruxador »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #27702 on: May 24, 2016, 04:43:32 am »

Subbers are all shitheads, this is a known fact. The only thing worse than the average sub group is the quality of the average dub VA performance.

I'm not even sure it's possible to act badly enough to beat the average sub group at complete shittiness.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27703 on: May 24, 2016, 09:05:44 am »

If they're getting things wrong which are already in English and well-established in the source material, what confidence should we put in their ability to correctly decipher the Japanese parts?

Back-translating English always seems to give subbers trouble. Like when the anime you're watching is set in America and all the characters have English names, you just know you're going to get some kind of phonetic Romaji mess instead of a sensible name spelling.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #27704 on: May 24, 2016, 09:31:14 am »

I'm not even sure it's possible to act badly enough to beat the average sub group at complete shittiness.
Having lived through the nineties, I can tell you with a great deal of surety that they totally, totally can.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 1845 1846 [1847] 1848 1849 ... 2193