Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1843 1844 [1845] 1846 1847 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3065664 times)

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #27660 on: May 18, 2016, 05:10:33 pm »

Eh 00 isn't really terrible. It just turned older fans off because it retread old ground in the second season as opposed to the unique direction S1 was going in, and the movie would have been better off as a book. It's honestly one of the better AUs overall IMO, and my personal favorite of them. In the end it's really best to just see and judge the shows for yourself since they have such a wide range of flavours.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 05:14:01 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27661 on: May 18, 2016, 06:06:54 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #27662 on: May 18, 2016, 08:32:49 pm »

Eh 00 isn't really terrible. It just turned older fans off because it retread old ground in the second season as opposed to the unique direction S1 was going in, and the movie would have been better off as a book. It's honestly one of the better AUs overall IMO, and my personal favorite of them. In the end it's really best to just see and judge the shows for yourself since they have such a wide range of flavours.

I wonder if they changed tacks because audiences weren't sympathizing with the heroes that effortlessly swept away their (well developed, not particularly villainous) opponents using vastly superior mechs, only ever having a problem with aforementioned opponents thought up extremely cunning plans and/or demonstrated incredible skill to overcome their disadvantages. There is a reason that protagonists are generally also the underdogs, after all.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #27663 on: May 18, 2016, 10:55:50 pm »

I wonder if they changed tacks because audiences weren't sympathizing with the heroes that effortlessly swept away their (well developed, not particularly villainous) opponents using vastly superior mechs, only ever having a problem with aforementioned opponents thought up extremely cunning plans and/or demonstrated incredible skill to overcome their disadvantages. There is a reason that protagonists are generally also the underdogs, after all.
Nah supposedly it was cause the higher ups demanded a change in pace to increase the number of fight scenes.

Main other point of contention was that the animators and Bandai were having trouble keeping up with the more detailed, organic, and unique designs used in season one which resulted in the S2 Gundams being simplified in appearance.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 11:07:18 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #27664 on: May 18, 2016, 11:02:46 pm »

Honestly, I dropped it really early because my sense of verisimilitude was completely broken by the protagonists' goals and methods.  I'm sorry, but trying to create peace by making war on the world is, to borrow (and malaprop) the old quote, like having sex to protect one's virginity.  That and the fact that they were apparently powerful enough to take on the entire world out of nowhere.  As you note, GreatJustice, there's a reason why the protagonists typically have to struggle; it's because even a fake potential for defeat creates some dramatic tension, while if you've got the protagonist plot shield combined with massive superpowered mechs out of nowhere combined with a massive and somehow untouchable basis for logistics, resupply, and support, then there's really no reason not to expect them to win every time they go into a fight.

Actually, I think I would have taken 00 a bit more seriously if the ostensible protagonists had actually been the villains straight from the word go.  Think about it: you start with the ace pilot in what's supposed to be the newest ace custom prototype, then suddenly this evil conspiracy comes out of nowhere with superpowered mechs and blows through them while preaching not only peace, but absolute submission to their particular brand of justice with themselves as sole arbiters.  Every time someone tries to fight somewhere, either against each other or against said conspiracy, they get smashed down with extreme prejudice in order to make an example.  You still have the same verisimilitude problems that usually get tied to conspiracies that somehow field single units that can somehow overmatch entire armies, but that's kind of a regular thing with Gundam.  You can sympathize with their goals for world peace, but you're no longer expected to consider them in the right for killing everyone who happens to pick up a gun (or be forced to pick up a gun).  Contrast with Wing, which 00 was apparently analogous to in the same way Seed was to the original series.  The five Gundam pilots are sent down to fight, but they're fighting a guerilla war of liberation.  They don't have a strong base of logistics (which especially comes up when one of the five suits ends up destroyed), they don't always win (in the very first episode, one of the Gundam pilots is forced to abandon his suit when the patrol he runs into is particularly on the ball), they don't have perfect communication between them due to precisely the oppression they're fighting against (none of them know about the other four at first), and they're not fighting for something as nebulous and self-contradictory as world peace; they're fighting for that Gundam stand-by, political independence for the colonies.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 11:07:06 pm by Culise »

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #27665 on: May 18, 2016, 11:10:04 pm »

« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 11:16:56 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #27666 on: May 18, 2016, 11:26:04 pm »

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #27667 on: May 18, 2016, 11:47:24 pm »

« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 12:11:00 am by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27668 on: May 19, 2016, 06:56:41 pm »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27669 on: May 19, 2016, 07:46:22 pm »

SPOILERS
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27670 on: May 19, 2016, 08:06:49 pm »

SPOILERS
Spoiler alert dude! I didn't know there were going to be spoilers!
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27671 on: May 19, 2016, 08:09:42 pm »

« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 08:17:04 pm by Cruxador »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #27672 on: May 19, 2016, 08:17:36 pm »

... is that green monstrosity what spoilers look like in the eyehate theme?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #27673 on: May 19, 2016, 08:44:14 pm »

That looks vile
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #27674 on: May 19, 2016, 10:57:39 pm »

Holy crap I forgot that non-darkling existed
It's FEF, not FEOF
Pages: 1 ... 1843 1844 [1845] 1846 1847 ... 2193