Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1842 1843 [1844] 1845 1846 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3065244 times)

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #27645 on: May 17, 2016, 01:40:16 pm »

The main character SPECIFICALLY told that their technique can cripple them and render them incapable of moving for the rest of their lives? I have YET to see an anime actually follow through with this.
Spoiler: FMA:B? (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #27646 on: May 17, 2016, 02:42:49 pm »

Can illegitimatize. Not necessarily. It's not exactly difficult to have the conflict and the drama hinge on other things.

Certainly I wouldn't call what you're talking about to be a significant point vis a vis the anime in question -- near as I can recall those were only disabilities and sacrifices occasionally, and were mostly just somewhat edgy excuses for superpowers :V

Which should be okay. You can still have a nice story with all the bells and whistles with barely acknowledged edgy superpowers. Sometimes it's fine if parts of the backstory et al are just kinda' there.

... doing it the other way is also be about the quickest way to get me to stop watching something, though, heh. For me, hammering the nail that the world is terrible and success only comes through suffering for the Nth hundredth time cheapens any emotion they were trying to draw out, just as well. When I want shitty messages of that sort alongside the rest of the narrative I go watch the news or read the classics.* It's nice to see folks shucking those influences, to whatever degree, y'know? Doesn't cheapen the emotions involved, it just emphasizes other ones. Which is often quite nice. I like those emotions better, and human brains being what they are we really do need more of them in our lives to offset the inclination towards negative one, imo.

*I rarely watch the news and you would probably have to shoot me to get me to go back to reading classical literature, and probably shortly thereafter have to stop me from shooting myself.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27647 on: May 17, 2016, 02:50:08 pm »

The main character SPECIFICALLY told that their technique can cripple them and render them incapable of moving for the rest of their lives? I have YET to see an anime actually follow through with this.

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #27648 on: May 17, 2016, 04:23:14 pm »

Hell, saying FMA doesn't do that stuff properly is basically ignoring pretty much all of the side characters who're dealing with the same stuff. I mean, it's the freaking point of the show to shove the equivalent exchange rule in your face as the one and only explanation for when shit goes south. Because people didn't respect that one rule and got stupid/greedy/whatever and tried to break it.

Anyways, seeing as M:Delta was not my cup of tea I went searching for a MSG series I could watch and figured I might as well watch SEED since that seemed ok. About a third of the way trough the frist season, it's pretty ok considering it's age. It has its issues and quirks but nothing too terrible really. Also I love the attention to detail and the little things, tho that's kind of a thing I've noticed with all MGS series I've seen so far. But I guess that's what you get for doing what is essentially a rather realistic series with just a dash of rule-of-cool :D
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27649 on: May 17, 2016, 05:14:41 pm »

Oh, this descent is going to be fun to watch. Make sure to follow up by watching SEED Destiny.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #27650 on: May 17, 2016, 05:21:38 pm »

C'mon FD, it's going to be bad enough as is. No need to be cruel.
Ask not!
Ask!

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #27651 on: May 17, 2016, 05:58:35 pm »

Oh dear
It's FEF, not FEOF

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27652 on: May 17, 2016, 06:47:27 pm »

Note that the samurai and steam gun randos don't flip around, it's just Mumei who's a superhumanly strong professional zombie killer. It's justified flipping.
Forgot to respond to this, but it's not justified. That she can't fight if she gets tired is a well established fact, so doing all these superhuman stunts and jumps is just unnecessarily lowering the amount of time she can stay in the fight. Later on in the same episode, Main Character criticises a Kabane for its too-large movements. Yes, Mumei is physically capable of doing the flipping, but all logic and common sense dictates she shouldn't.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #27653 on: May 17, 2016, 07:05:46 pm »

Oh, this descent is going to be fun to watch. Make sure to follow up by watching SEED Destiny.
C'mon FD, it's going to be bad enough as is. No need to be cruel.
Oh dear

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27654 on: May 17, 2016, 07:20:28 pm »

Hell, saying FMA doesn't do that stuff properly is basically ignoring pretty much all of the side characters who're dealing with the same stuff. I mean, it's the freaking point of the show to shove the equivalent exchange rule in your face as the one and only explanation for when shit goes south. Because people didn't respect that one rule and got stupid/greedy/whatever and tried to break it.

It's still a show I really enjoyed watching in any case.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #27655 on: May 18, 2016, 12:47:15 am »

Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27656 on: May 18, 2016, 01:58:26 am »

I just saw Project Itoh: Harmony this evening. I had a good time, but not because the movie was good. It had some really beautiful scenes, and some that weren't so good; it wasn't consistent. The neuroscience was complete and utter bullshit, which killed my suspension of disbelief since it was central to the whole latter half of the movie. And part of the backstory was that
Also, it was adapted from a book and like 90% of the dialogue was narration or soliloquy.

Still, it was fun to go with my brother to an old theater in town, and see something that we knew very little about going into, and which few other people will see in that way.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #27657 on: May 18, 2016, 01:45:41 pm »

Ok that's fucking worrying now, does it devolve into shitty teenage drama? Because right now that's the only thing I see as being likely to happen. Well that or they just keep introducing cool new people for Kira to fight even though you don't really want them to fight since they're cool people. Or does it go the nonsense bullshit route of Evangelion because that space whale thing could be important in some way later on.

@Hawkfrost

AS - IG

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #27658 on: May 18, 2016, 02:01:40 pm »

It devolves alright, heeheehee. Don't recall it just being shitty teenage drama, though.

Still, lay back, watch the show, and think of England. Approach it without the preconceptions of people that's already watched (some of) it.

Though for what it's worth, I'm pretty sure everyone here will at least agree it's better than Destiny! It's got that going for it. And it's got a fair amount of interesting bits! Just... well, you'll see, if you keep watching.
Ask not!
Ask!

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #27659 on: May 18, 2016, 02:17:29 pm »

Fair enough, think you guys saying it goes bad will probably colour my perception more than a bit tho :V

Hell, I had no idea 00 was apparently terrible until I read what other people thought of it :s
AS - IG
Pages: 1 ... 1842 1843 [1844] 1845 1846 ... 2193