Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1828 1829 [1830] 1831 1832 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3064801 times)

Madmachine

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarfputer Project FTW
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #27435 on: May 01, 2016, 02:08:45 pm »

I'm hoping for an official translation of Overlord.
That's very unlikely to happen. What do you find inadequate about the currently available one?
It is happening. I just want to be able to buy it legally and then be able to read what I buy.
I am a Grammar Communist. I believe that the means of word production (i.e: dictionaries) should be seized, for the good of the people.

We are succeeding. You can tell, because the Oxford English Dictionary made an emoji word of the year.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27436 on: May 01, 2016, 04:14:56 pm »

If on the other hand, he restrains his minions from doing evil things, for non-selfish reasons (i.e. stops them eating humans, just because) then he's acting non-evil.
He does just that.

I'm well aware of that fact. I was just pointing out that the stated "does good occasionally, but for purely selfish reasons" isn't actually non-evil. i.e. that's mischaracterizing Chaotic Neutral. A Chaotic Evil character will cooperate with "good" when it's beneficial to them, e.g. they might save a puppy, just for show, to curry favor, or if they want to eat the puppy later. "Chaotic" implies they don't follow any rules: People who play Chaotic Evil as "all evil, all the time" aren't doing it right, since that's making them follow a very narrowly defined set of personal rules, which makes them similar to Lawful Evil, but following an overt "code of evil" instead of the laws of the land.

What makes him non-evil is that he acts with non-selfish motivations, which I alluded to in the bit you quoted.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 04:27:08 pm by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27437 on: May 01, 2016, 04:36:46 pm »

He is slowly turning evil as the show goes on anyhow. With only the glimmer of life keeping him from becoming an irredeemable monster.

When it started, YEAH... He isn't evil. Heck I could argue that he starts off the anime in the good category.

But honestly he is cruel to evil people (though sometimes the character is just conveniently evil), but he rarely actually indulges in outright evil himself.

He is kind of firmly Neutral to me... Likely True Neutral or Chaotic Neutral.

I am reminded of one character in dnd who is Lawful Evil whom is basically good to his own people but cruel to everyone else.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27438 on: May 01, 2016, 04:45:12 pm »

I found a really good translation of the "Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka?" web novel a while back, but it's way behind. It updates three days a week, at least.

Don't know how it matches up to the LN or the manga, but it's there.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #27439 on: May 01, 2016, 06:28:33 pm »

Neat, heh. Finding the manga actually made me want to reread that a bit. Is definitely way behind in chapter numbers compared to the LN, though, yeah.

And re: Overlord, the LN, again, makes it pretty unequivocal that momobro is straight up evil, or at least ends up that way. I actually drifted away from reading during
Spoiler: spoiler is spoiler (click to show/hide)
because what the hell. He's definitely capable of altruistic or otherwise beneficial acts, and may mostly not be aggressively malicious, but good or neutral of any stripe (except maybe neutral evil :V) he is very much not, at least in fairly short order.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27440 on: May 01, 2016, 06:58:20 pm »

Spoiler: Spoiler stuf (click to show/hide)
Not that I'm disagreeing with the fact that he is evil, because he has done some pretty terrible stuff.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #27441 on: May 01, 2016, 08:29:27 pm »

Spoiler: More spoily stuff (click to show/hide)
you see nothing
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 09:15:06 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27442 on: May 01, 2016, 08:59:12 pm »

Your tags are borked all to hell there, buddy.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27443 on: May 01, 2016, 11:51:36 pm »

It does more then any other piece of fiction I have read show why Lich's almost always become evil.

Even the anime addresses that he doesn't get the necessary pangs of guilt when personally killing someone.

Though that is more of an excuse (you really could throw away the whole "He is from a MMO" plot and lose nothing). Since I don't think the anime, and likely the manga, even makes him concerned that maybe he is becoming an inhuman monster, with his humanity slowly eroding away.

Not that I am complaining. Since the anime has, from what I am told, dealt with the GOOD parts of the manga. So I can sit comfortably in the good anime zone.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #27444 on: May 01, 2016, 11:54:27 pm »

Wait, so liches become evil because of... hormones?

That seems right.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27445 on: May 02, 2016, 03:42:27 am »

Ever have a jerk character who is SUCH an unrelenting Jerk that they somehow manages to soar above being spiteful into the perplexing territory? Like they are so jerkish that you just can't dislike them?

I am watching Boku No Hero and the bully character just is so specific and over the top with his bullying that every time he is on the screen I just go "Seriously, what is your problem?"

He feels like he has an inferiority complex with the main character. I just can't muster any hatred for this character.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #27446 on: May 02, 2016, 07:06:26 am »

snip
So basically he's gone so far with his bullying that you can't imagine it being pure malice, and can only wonder what the "victim" did to deserve it? :P
That's rather interesting.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27447 on: May 02, 2016, 07:40:17 am »

I think it's more like, he's such an unrelenting jerkass that he's no longer just being a jerkass, he has underlying psych issues.

One example of that would by Star Wars VII's Kylo Ren. He's such a douchebag that he can't be taken seriously as a douchebag. That's why the "Emo Kylo Ren" twitter feed hits the mark so well. You end up pitying him rather than feeling that he's a malevolent presence.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27448 on: May 02, 2016, 07:52:51 am »

I have the same problem with the 'punk kids' that honestly seem way too common and openly malicious to be realistically portrayed even vaguely, so I consider that immersion breaking.

Madmachine

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarfputer Project FTW
    • View Profile
« Reply #27449 on: May 02, 2016, 09:40:29 am »

Emo Kylo Ren is funny until you hit the bewildering and incongruous MRA jokes. Then it just becomes weird.
I am a Grammar Communist. I believe that the means of word production (i.e: dictionaries) should be seized, for the good of the people.

We are succeeding. You can tell, because the Oxford English Dictionary made an emoji word of the year.
Pages: 1 ... 1828 1829 [1830] 1831 1832 ... 2193