Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1825 1826 [1827] 1828 1829 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3065660 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #27390 on: April 30, 2016, 07:22:19 am »

Episode 11 (IIRC) is gold though.

Though there is one huge hole in the story that I don't believe is ever adequately explained.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #27391 on: April 30, 2016, 07:46:36 am »

E: Not enjoying Log Horizon or Steins;gate
They're pretty slow starters, yeah. If you have time, definitely watch Steins;Gate through to episode... twelve? I think? It's well worth the prior investment.
Log Horizon doesn't get fast, per se, but it does get less slow. If you don't like political intrigue type stuff then maybe don't bother.

In other news, I started watching the live-action Death Note. Because fuggit. I actually never finished the anime; I lost interest after L died. (is that even a spoiler any more?)
LA version is actually decent? The CG is atrocious but whatever. Other than that it's mostly just the same premise with different characters (or rather, different characters with the same name). L is 40% of the way to being a trap. I'm disappointed he's not bug-eyed and creepy any more, that was basically why I fell in love with him in the first place.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #27392 on: April 30, 2016, 08:37:49 am »

I watched four episodes of Watamote and it's cringey but in a good way. It's not bad, but I don't think I'll finish it.

If you have time, definitely watch Steins;Gate through to episode... twelve? I think? It's well worth the prior investment.

Log Horizon doesn't get fast, per se, but it does get less slow. If you don't like political intrigue type stuff then maybe don't bother.
What kind of crap show takes twelve episodes to get good... I'll still watch it, because this show is crazy popular, but geez. How do people force themselves to watch through the boring crap? You'd think if a show started out boring it would stay boring. I'm sure it'll all get tied together in a neat little bow and the beginning making me want to fall asleep will be totally justified and I will feel ashamed of myself.

It's only a little slow. Mostly it's the cliched characters that are getting to me. These archetypes are so fucking played out it's driving me insane, but Furtuka assures me that interesting stuff happens so I'm gonna keep going. If I die, we know whose fault it is.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27393 on: April 30, 2016, 09:26:58 am »

Boring? Steins;Gate was intriguing from the first episode. But maybe that's because I was weaned on Golden Age SF that was less "pew pew" and more sociopolitical commentary and exploration of ideas.

And yeah, Log Horizon is the only decent "into le mmo" anime made in the past few years, but it's decidedly not about power-wanking or shonenisms which tends to make it unpopular with folks that *snrk* liked SAO, Overlord, &c.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27394 on: April 30, 2016, 10:27:15 am »

Bonus for Steins;Gate: after you finish the show, look up John Titor on Wikipedia. A few unexplained details will become clearer: the whole story is based on the John Titor incident (which was a type of metafiction). Basically, Stein's;Gate is a little like if someone was to make an anime based on the SCP Foundation.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 03:16:16 pm by Reelya »

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #27395 on: April 30, 2016, 01:09:40 pm »

I mostly just don't like Imaishi, I think. He's pretty talented but it's not for me.
Wow, director for TTGL, Kill la Kill, Panty and Stocking, and Luluco, and series production director for Inferno Cop. That explains a lot.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Madmachine

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarfputer Project FTW
    • View Profile
« Reply #27396 on: April 30, 2016, 01:48:31 pm »

Not enjoying Log Horizon

For real though, what don't you like about it? Just not very compelling?

It picks up, trust me. It wasn't until it started getting into the political intrigue between the guilds that I really got hooked.

Also, I actually liked Overlord, but maybe that's just because I have soft spot hard-on for wizards. I did like how Ainz was kind of experimenting with real evil after having role-played evil for so long, and yet he's still far less evil than the rest of his gang.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 01:56:00 pm by Madmachine »
I am a Grammar Communist. I believe that the means of word production (i.e: dictionaries) should be seized, for the good of the people.

We are succeeding. You can tell, because the Oxford English Dictionary made an emoji word of the year.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27397 on: April 30, 2016, 02:21:08 pm »

So I just discovered that there was a concert featuring the Splatoon girls:

https://youtu.be/jOtjUG5PXlE

"What is this utter bullshit?!" I say to myself as I watch the entire thing.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 02:24:15 pm by JoshuaFH »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27398 on: April 30, 2016, 03:21:26 pm »

I mostly just don't like Imaishi, I think. He's pretty talented but it's not for me.
Wow, director for TTGL, Kill la Kill, Panty and Stocking, and Luluco, and series production director for Inferno Cop. That explains a lot.
Abenobashi Mahou☆Shoutengai - he directed episode 3, which is a futuristic mecha setting. The mecha look a lot like the TTGL ganmen.

Don't forget to check out Dead Leaves if you like that other stuff.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 03:24:52 pm by Reelya »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #27399 on: April 30, 2016, 04:03:04 pm »

... hold up. The critters that did Dead Leaves was involved with those other ones?

That. That actually does explain a lot. You can definitely see the similarities, as well as an early, uh. Lack of restraint?

Also, I've apparently been fairly fond of imaishi's work for even longer than I thought. I mean, I didn't know the guy's name until today, but... yeah.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27400 on: April 30, 2016, 04:38:16 pm »

That is one hell of a track record right there, lots of key animation for series I liked, and some storyboards too.  Guess Imaishi goes on my cool guys list.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #27401 on: April 30, 2016, 05:48:23 pm »

Just watched 11 episodes of no game no life. Would have been extremely awkward if someone were to walk in while it was playing. I enjoyed it, it was humorous in about a million different pieces.

10/10 so far.

Dat coin toss.
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #27402 on: April 30, 2016, 05:50:48 pm »

... that's the naked loli bathing anime, right? I think that's the only thing I can recall hearing about it.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27403 on: April 30, 2016, 05:53:58 pm »

I just kind of realized how oddly unpopular Phoenix Wright is... when most of his cases are extremely high profile, and would possibly even be televised.

Then again... he just started out.

Mind you it is a comedy. But I just have fun analyzing things.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 06:01:00 pm by Neonivek »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27404 on: April 30, 2016, 06:08:36 pm »

... that's the naked loli bathing anime, right? I think that's the only thing I can recall hearing about it.

Did you not hear about the multiple plagiarism scandals related to the original author? Madhouse had to make a formal apology while the NGNL anime was airing, because unlicensed art was used directly in the show ... from a Pixiv artist. And later, people started to notice the poses in his illustrations were suspiciously similar to numerous pre-existing artworks ... but only by Pixiv artists. Perfect alignment of body lines, hands, feet etc. And not just once or twice, for at least half a dozen illustrations.

Basically, there ain't no way all that's a coincidence, and it makes me think he's soured his relationship with Madhouse. He is a foreigner, and he made Japanese businessmen lose face because of his dodgy work practices. He's a non-native Japanese citizen who was stealing Japanese-made fanart then turning it into a commercial product. Japan doesn't tend to like that, and I'm sure everyone in the industry has put two and two together. In the past, similar cases have had huge repercussions. NGNL's author has so far escaped any problems, perhaps because the art he stole was all amateur stuff, so there are no army of lawyers coming after him.

So ... NGNL 2 from Studio DEEN perhaps?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 06:20:07 pm by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 1825 1826 [1827] 1828 1829 ... 2193