Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1815 1816 [1817] 1818 1819 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3065702 times)

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #27240 on: April 24, 2016, 07:26:49 pm »

Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Madmachine

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarfputer Project FTW
    • View Profile
« Reply #27241 on: April 24, 2016, 07:53:52 pm »

E3 of Haifuri
Anime of the season tbh
how the hell did you misread "haifuri" as "boku no hero academia"
I am a Grammar Communist. I believe that the means of word production (i.e: dictionaries) should be seized, for the good of the people.

We are succeeding. You can tell, because the Oxford English Dictionary made an emoji word of the year.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27242 on: April 24, 2016, 08:53:54 pm »

This is just a personal opinion piece and others are free to feel as they like, but I'm really getting sick of shows that try to bill you on a concept and then completely fail to deliver on it.

I think you may be confused as to what constitutes "bill you on a concept". It's literally in the first episode that you know it's not going to be some totally dark horror where there's nothing but despair. They're going " so the world sucked but then-" and you're going "no buts!". They didn't endeavor to deceive you in any way. Like, if you were talking about KlK where there was a whole cour of stuff being one way and then a lot of it just kind of fizzled out and major plot elements were dropped and ignored. Or, hell, what people were just talking about with Eva.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #27243 on: April 24, 2016, 09:00:53 pm »

E3 of Haifuri
Anime of the season tbh
how the hell did you misread "haifuri" as "boku no hero academia"
shounen needs more ai
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #27244 on: April 24, 2016, 09:45:20 pm »

The thing is, after a couple episodes they rapidly start dropping that initial premise in exchange for... goofy comedy and over the top superhero action.
Haven't watched Kabeneri, but in Attack on Titan's case I would point out they DON'T really drop that premise. The plot stuff that shifts things that direction isn't some sudden full reversal of how things are, but the first spot of hope for the world. As anyone who watched can tell you, it really really DOESN'T stop laying on the hopeless meatgrinder aspect of the world. Characters you care about WILL drop left and right with little warning. The message of the show is to keep fighting on regardless of that.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #27245 on: April 24, 2016, 09:49:53 pm »

The thing is, after a couple episodes they rapidly start dropping that initial premise in exchange for... goofy comedy and over the top superhero action.
Haven't watched Kabeneri, but in Attack on Titan's case I would point out they DON'T really drop that premise. The plot stuff that shifts things that direction isn't some sudden full reversal of how things are, but the first spot of hope for the world. As anyone who watched can tell you, it really really DOESN'T stop laying on the hopeless meatgrinder aspect of the world. Characters you care about WILL drop left and right with little warning. The message of the show is to keep fighting on regardless of that.
This.^^ At no point is the premise thrown out. The only moments of comedy I really remember are: Sasha and the potato, Levi's cleaning obsession, and Zoe's experiments. A few minutes of humor, all in character, out of hours of misery.

I cannot think of even one character who had any real characterization who died in the anime.

Every single character who died was some sort of character who was given some token characterization (I.E. a quirk or two and a unique face) and then killed off because dark, but nobody who ever actually matters dies.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
AoT doesn't compare to something like JJBA or Game of Thrones when it comes to killing characters but I count it as one of the few shows where death is depicted in a manner that is highly emotional, and I do not consider it gratuitous by any stretch.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 10:17:27 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #27246 on: April 24, 2016, 09:50:06 pm »

Characters you care about WILL drop left and right with little warning.

I cannot think of even one character who had any real characterization who died in the anime.

Every single character who died was some sort of character who was given some token characterization (I.E. a quirk or two and a unique face) and then killed off because dark, but nobody who ever actually matters dies.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27247 on: April 24, 2016, 10:20:44 pm »

see i just have a hard time telling anime faces apart so i have no idea who's dead and who isn't
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #27248 on: April 24, 2016, 10:23:19 pm »

see i just have a hard time telling anime faces apart so i have no idea who's dead and who isn't
Stop watching A1 shows
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #27249 on: April 24, 2016, 10:36:23 pm »

A1?  Ummm..is that a pun on aichi like K1 to Keiichi?  Any rate, whichever that is, it applies to quite a bit of shojo, too.  F'rex, I love Arinacchi, but even I have to admit that for her works from ION to Sakura-hime, she's never really gotten the knack for drawing more faces than one could count on one hand. 

Also, started Iron-Blooded Orphans instead of immediately continuing on to Bubblegum Crisis 2040 AD.  I...ummm, I hate to say it, but I'm not really impressed.  I mean, I didn't dislike it enough to quit after the first couple episodes (like 00, which turned me off on Gundam for a while), but I just can't seem to get into it at all.  I'm not sure why, either.  It feels kind of...immature, maybe, like it's trying to be something more than it is.  It's a hard feeling to quantify, though, which is particularly vexing for me. 
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 10:40:09 pm by Culise »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #27250 on: April 24, 2016, 10:37:43 pm »

A1?
The studio. All their faces look the same.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #27251 on: April 24, 2016, 10:45:07 pm »

Ah, that would explain that.  Sorry; I could only name a few names off the top of my head, such as Gainax, Ghibli, Pierrot, or Bones.  A-1 was not on the list, but looking up their past works, I can see why I was mostly unfamiliar with them.  I didn't think of Shin Sekai Yori/From The New World or Anohana by their originating studio, and stuff like OreImo and SAO never piqued my interest. 

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #27252 on: April 24, 2016, 10:53:39 pm »

A1?  Ummm..is that a pun on aichi like K1 to Keiichi?  Any rate, whichever that is, it applies to quite a bit of shojo, too.  F'rex, I love Arinacchi, but even I have to admit that for her works from ION to Sakura-hime, she's never really gotten the knack for drawing more faces than one could count on one hand. 

Also, started Iron-Blooded Orphans instead of immediately continuing on to Bubblegum Crisis 2040 AD.  I...ummm, I hate to say it, but I'm not really impressed.  I mean, I didn't dislike it enough to quit after the first couple episodes (like 00, which turned me off on Gundam for a while), but I just can't seem to get into it at all.  I'm not sure why, either.  It feels kind of...immature, maybe, like it's trying to be something more than it is.  It's a hard feeling to quantify, though, which is particularly vexing for me.

Yeah, it's not bad, but I do think at this point it's gotten kinda over-hyped. The show's production staff wound up changing a lot of planned story elements to make it less dark, and IMO that caused it to lose a lot of potential. After the first few episodes the story sort-of meanders a bit until they reach the Dort Colonies. It does pick up at that point though, and some of the concepts from that point on are quite neat. Though yeah several parts of the show have this weird feeling of... Iunno what to call it. There's this weird muffled feeling.

Also I don't really like how anime some of the character relationships and dialogue turned out thanks to Mari Okada writing it. Kinda clashes with the rest of the show and its background.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 11:11:53 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27253 on: April 24, 2016, 10:57:59 pm »

The thing that disappointed me about Attack on Titan was

« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 11:00:53 pm by Reelya »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #27254 on: April 24, 2016, 11:01:08 pm »

The thing that disappointed me about Attack on Titan was

Same. I could probably pinpoint exactly why I didn't like it if I watched the first few episodes again but very likely Furtuka could remind me about what complaints I had, since I remember talking to him about it while I was watching.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 11:03:31 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »
Pages: 1 ... 1815 1816 [1817] 1818 1819 ... 2193