Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1813 1814 [1815] 1816 1817 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3065295 times)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #27210 on: April 22, 2016, 12:33:03 pm »

Ok so I started on NGE, not much to comment on after two episodes (other than the somewhat prevalent fanservice, didn't expect that much of it from something this old) but the intro song cought my ear. I'm fairly certain that I've heard it before in some form of another, and I know I haven't watched the show, and it's really bugging me now, to the point that I spend more time thinking about the damn song than the show I'm watching (tho that might be the lack of sleep too)
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27211 on: April 22, 2016, 01:15:12 pm »

Second one popped up on my feed last night. I'm not sure the second video's examples were more "real" than the first. I think the Japanese reaction of "they can do what they want, I guess that's cool" without any strong feelings is pretty much typical around the world of seeing other people's weird hobbies.

Hmm, how aren't they real? Those are pretty canonical depictions of weeaboos. And the interviewer gave a pretty good explanation of the weeaboo concept to the Japanese: people who only know about Japan from anime, speak shitty Japanese and are obsessed with the culture.

It's really a "goal-post shifting" argument from the "weeaboo haters'. When someone says "Japan wouldn't like weeaboos" they clearly mean "Japan wouldn't like any westerner who's into anime/otaku stuff". It's a way of giving their own dislike more authority. The goal-post shifting comes in the response to videos like this one . Now the western critics (in the comments) are saying "but the guys in the sample were just Japan-obsessed 'western otaku' not full-on weeaboos!" which is a weirdly specific line to draw, and seems to be a case of shifting goalposts. Americans in bad cosplay doing anime dances badly isn't "weeaboo" enough? Sure, maybe we can find some stuff that's more cringeworthy than that and show it to Japanese people. But that would be just stuff that's inherently cringeworthy, and at that point, it's no longer a good example of "what Japanese people think of weeaboos".

Another argument was that "these interviews were in Tokyo, if you did them out in more regional areas of Japan, you'd get a different response". Well of course you would. But those regions would also have the same differences in the view of Japanese otaku, so it's not a particularly relevant observation about how Japan feels about western otaku/weeaboos in particular.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 01:18:19 pm by Reelya »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27212 on: April 22, 2016, 02:27:59 pm »

Hmm, how aren't they real? Those are pretty canonical depictions of weeaboos.
Not as in that it's fake, but rather I don't think he was misleading in the first video. However I think I may have misinterpreted how you were using the word "real" in your previous post.

At any rate, I wasn't trying to make that argument of the YouTube commentors with which you so adamantly disagree; in this I agree with you.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27213 on: April 22, 2016, 02:31:47 pm »

Ok so I started on NGE, not much to comment on after two episodes (other than the somewhat prevalent fanservice, didn't expect that much of it from something this old) but the intro song cought my ear. I'm fairly certain that I've heard it before in some form of another, and I know I haven't watched the show, and it's really bugging me now, to the point that I spend more time thinking about the damn song than the show I'm watching (tho that might be the lack of sleep too)
You probably did hear it somewhere or other. It's called "A Cruel Angel's Thesis" and it's been remixed quite a few times IIRC.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #27214 on: April 22, 2016, 02:37:37 pm »

You probably did hear it somewhere or other. It's called "A Cruel Angel's Thesis" and it's been remixed quite a few times IIRC.
It's the number 1 top karaoke song in Japan!
It's FEF, not FEOF

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27215 on: April 22, 2016, 04:52:28 pm »

Remixed quite a few times indeed. (EDIT: Yeah, as Sirus pointed out, there's a spoiler in there, but it's worth a listen just for the laughs)

Spoiler: the spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 04:57:12 pm by JoshuaFH »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27216 on: April 22, 2016, 04:53:59 pm »

Remixed quite a few times indeed.
Beware of slight spoilers should you click on that.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #27217 on: April 22, 2016, 07:07:49 pm »

Remixed quite a few times indeed. (EDIT: Yeah, as Sirus pointed out, there's a spoiler in there, but it's worth a listen just for the laughs)

Spoiler: the spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'm not sure it measures up to that full-length beauty, but I certainly agree.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #27218 on: April 22, 2016, 08:55:10 pm »

Watched all of Space Patrol Luluco so far. Fun little series. Wasn't sure what to expect when I found it was a mini-series with only 8 minutes an episode, but it's more entertaining than I thought. Animation style is charmingly different from typical "pure" anime style.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #27219 on: April 22, 2016, 09:12:03 pm »

Watched all of Space Patrol Luluco so far. Fun little series. Wasn't sure what to expect when I found it was a mini-series with only 8 minutes an episode, but it's more entertaining than I thought. Animation style is charmingly different from typical "pure" anime style.
Well since its made by Trigger and looks roughly like a mix of Kill La Kill + Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt's art styles I wouldn't expect anything less then pure unbridled greatness from it personally.
I'll need to watch it once I find a place to do so that isn't Crunchyroll, seeing as their site is anathema to my computer or internet or something and refuses to play for more then 2 minutes at a time.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #27220 on: April 22, 2016, 09:22:24 pm »

Well since its made by Trigger and looks roughly like a mix of Kill La Kill + Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt's art styles I wouldn't expect anything less then pure unbridled greatness from it personally.
I didn't enjoy any of those shows, RIP

E: Also, S2 of Hibike Euphonium is announced for autumn this year. KyoAni pls don't fuck it up
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 11:09:00 pm by Orange Wizard »
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #27221 on: April 23, 2016, 10:15:52 pm »

How can you not like Kill la Kill?
It's literally the greatest thing I've ever seen.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #27222 on: April 23, 2016, 10:37:00 pm »

I enjoyed it, but I can see why someone wouldn't care for it too much. In my opinion it stands out among animes that are highly focused on action and fanservice, but a good part of that is because the bar for animes fitting that description is ridiculously low.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #27223 on: April 23, 2016, 10:38:58 pm »

Different strokes for different folks, b. It's not a particularly good romance story, ferex. One can only presume OW's unfettered love of shounen-ai is not sated by Kill la Kill's incestuous yuri infused narrative.

It's pretty good, though, and surprisingly well written and whatnot, even (perhaps especially, as poh sorta' notes) considering the overt focuses.

E: It's incredibly difficult to impart the point that the show's actually decent to someone that's not already pretty well founded in anime, though. The ping pong song showed up on my playlist, and then I spent something like five minutes trying to express to a family member that the show's worth watching, despite (/in part due to) half the cast spends half the show half or more naked. I'm pretty sure the point didn't get across :V
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 10:42:15 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #27224 on: April 23, 2016, 10:52:20 pm »

I'm really (really) finicky about some things, to the point where even I can't tell you what the problem was. I don't remember disliking Kill la Kill so it was probably more a matter of it not holding my interest for whatever reason rather than missing the mark in some other inexplicably irrational way.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.
Pages: 1 ... 1813 1814 [1815] 1816 1817 ... 2193