Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1812 1813 [1814] 1815 1816 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3065296 times)

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #27195 on: April 21, 2016, 03:33:05 pm »

The Rebuild movies are better than the show, but they're somewhat different. I recommend watching the show, then End of Evangelion, then the Rebuild of Evangelion movies.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27196 on: April 21, 2016, 03:50:51 pm »

Exactly as Twinwolf said. Watch the series, watch End so that you get a coherent conclusion, then the Rebuild films. The latter are different enough from the former that you can't just watch them in the place of the series, and having watched the series helps you appreciate Rebuild a bit more.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #27197 on: April 21, 2016, 04:07:49 pm »

TL;DR what the others said. Show, then End, then Rebuild.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #27198 on: April 21, 2016, 04:59:11 pm »

http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/43990923/images/1449288685066.png

Anyone know what the above is from? BFEL's curiosity has been piqued :P
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27199 on: April 21, 2016, 05:04:09 pm »

That's "A Boring World Where the Concept of Dirty Jokes Doesn't Exist" or Shimoneta for short... and that's your introduction to the character ANNA! She's basically what would happen if Super Woman was an uncontrollable sex offender.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27200 on: April 21, 2016, 05:11:04 pm »

I think that Eden of the East and Heavy Object are sort of opposites as far as anime goes.

I will give Eden of the East a lot of credit in that it is actually a very intelligent anime in that everytime there is an inconsistency or something that doesn't make sense, rest assured they will bring it up and answer it. It creates a far out premise but supports it.

While Heavy Object creates a premise and supports it with half-thought out nonsense.

For example: The Premise of Eden of the East is that the characters are given basically a million dollars to try to change the world, they have cellphones and a card and can pay for basically anything using that. Yet even with money some of the things they achieve is a bit much... Ohh wait the anime answers that. Well even with influence, one can only stretch it so far... Also answered. Heck I wish the show was finished because I have theories on the point of the entire premise that will never really be answered.

While Heavy Object basically brings to the forefront a world where these indestructible super weapons reign supreme. So much so that the military basically only exists to serve them and no one does anything. Except they never think of logistics (the Heavy Objects do need routine maintenance and fuel), they lack spotters, spyplanes, and a lot of the infrastructure that would exist for the Heavy Object. Basically the anime creates a premise and goes "Shut up, don't think about it!" to support the premise. In fact, they don't seem to do a lot of drills either...

---

By the by... Watch Eden of the East. I can understand people not liking it (our hero is very douchy), but I did.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 05:12:57 pm by Neonivek »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27201 on: April 21, 2016, 06:17:57 pm »

The thing that got me about Eden of the East was the premise that $1 million was remotely close to sufficient money to meaningfully change the world in any of the ways which can be done by leveraging raw cash. It pretty much only exists like that in order to create an artificial limiting factor--a more interesting and more direct approach to that challenge in-universe would have been to source whatever the participants requested (which could, naturally, include raw cash), since pretty much any way to use the money to create meaningful change amounts to "use money to acquire material supplies and/or immaterial goods and services".

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27202 on: April 21, 2016, 06:22:25 pm »

In all fairness the fact that the million is "insufficient" I think is part of the point.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #27203 on: April 21, 2016, 06:33:59 pm »

That's "A Boring World Where the Concept of Dirty Jokes Doesn't Exist" or Shimoneta for short... and that's your introduction to the character ANNA! She's basically what would happen if Super Woman was an uncontrollable sex offender.
The funniest thing about that show was the irony when someone tried to censor it for being too dirty.

Watched the second episode of Kiznaiver. The melodrama is less anime-tropey and more... realistic? Believable? Something along those lines. Which I'm really enjoying so yeah.
E: Oh yeah, it's written by the same person as Anohana and Hanasaku Iroha. So along those lines.

Mayoiga is... ridiculous. It's about a bunch of people who met on the internet and decided to run off to some village somewhere. Predictably, they're all utterly bonkers and it's wonderful.
It's only got a 6.8 on MAL so apparently people don't like it? The director of it also did Another so I'm expecting lots of absurd over-the-top violence and contrived supernatural fuckery. But Another was reasonably well-received. I dunno, I don't understand it.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27204 on: April 21, 2016, 08:28:26 pm »

If I wanted tits and laughs, I could watch Monster Musume or some other ecchi-comedy show.

I still like Rebuild, they're good flicks. I was just kinda disappointed because they had less of what I liked about NGE, in an attempt to be like other anime. They're basically fix fics.

To be fair, Evangelion already contained quite a lot of both of those.

"Oh no, I accidentally groped Rei!" "Oops, I saw Asuka naked!" "Isn't it hilarious, Asuka has to wear a fatsuit for a whole episode!"

All the "comedy", and I use that term loosely, in Evangelion is bog standard crap exactly the same as every other anime from the time and the one big advantage of Rebuild is that you get to dodge most of it even if it's technically, probably, a worse product than the show.
Of course you should watch the original show first, but I would much rather watch Rebuild ten times than have to sit through some of the absolutely dreadful scenes in the original again.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27205 on: April 21, 2016, 09:03:10 pm »

If I wanted tits and laughs, I could watch Monster Musume or some other ecchi-comedy show.

I still like Rebuild, they're good flicks. I was just kinda disappointed because they had less of what I liked about NGE, in an attempt to be like other anime. They're basically fix fics.

"Oh no, I accidentally groped Rei!" "Oops, I saw Asuka naked!" "Isn't it hilarious, Asuka has to wear a fatsuit for a whole episode!"

All the "comedy", and I use that term loosely, in Evangelion is bog standard crap exactly the same as every other anime from the time and the one big advantage of Rebuild is that you get to dodge most of it even if it's technically, probably, a worse product than the show.
Of course you should watch the original show first, but I would much rather watch Rebuild ten times than have to sit through some of the absolutely dreadful scenes in the original again.
Pretty much this. The Rebuild movies are basically a condensed form of the main series, so the fanservice and comedy that were present in the original appear to be more in-your-face due to being concentrated into a couple of hour or so long movies.

Yeah okay the new character is kinda shameless but the point still stands.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #27206 on: April 21, 2016, 09:27:38 pm »

The Rebuild movies are basically a condensed form of the main series

except for the completely different plot later, yeah

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27207 on: April 22, 2016, 03:51:48 am »

Yeah, the comedy parts in NGE are terrible. They're actually worse than the equivalent in such shows as Love Hina. At least Love Hina amps it up to 11 for comedy effect, whereas in NGE it's just lame.

BTW on 4th april, a video was uploaded by a Japanese guy explaining the term "weeaboo" to regular Japanese people. Japanese reactions were generally positive. the top youtube comment was "You should have shown them some pictures of real weeaboos. I don't think they would still say the same things after that". So, a couple of days ago, the video maker tested that theory.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 12:06:31 pm by Reelya »

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #27208 on: April 22, 2016, 12:05:09 pm »

Watching the first episode of Space Patrol Luluco. It's a new thing by Trigger that I'm only now finding out about. First impressions, the animation is reminding me of Kill la Kill. Can't quite say what it is specifically. Think it's a mix of colors, style of movement/animation, expressions, and character/world style.  Whatever it is, it's distinctive.

Also, the chief of the space police appears to be Xeno-Inferno-Cop with Kamina's sunglasses. Main character Luluco even referred to him as a "flaming skeleton". Blatant references ho!
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27209 on: April 22, 2016, 12:06:52 pm »

BTW on 4th april, a video was uploaded by a Japanese guy explaining the term "weeaboo" to regular Japanese people. Japanese reactions were generally positive. the top youtube comment was "You should have shown them some pictures of real weeaboos. I don't think they would still say the same things after that". So, a couple of days ago, the video maker tested that theory.

Second one popped up on my feed last night. I'm not sure the second video's examples were more "real" than the first. I think the Japanese reaction of "they can do what they want, I guess that's cool" without any strong feelings is pretty much typical around the world of seeing other people's weird hobbies.
Pages: 1 ... 1812 1813 [1814] 1815 1816 ... 2193