Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1807 1808 [1809] 1810 1811 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3064655 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #27120 on: April 15, 2016, 12:52:22 pm »

At least the D&D films embraced it.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #27121 on: April 15, 2016, 03:58:45 pm »

Oh my god this week's Concrete Revolutio was sooooo goooood. That Yutapon animation was glorious, and the story was spectacular. And that Equus scene! Ugh if it weren't for the spoilers involved I would totally use this weeks episode as something to show to get people to watch this show.

I never expected the Angel Stars to turn out to be this important. Hope to see more of the rest of them during the the season.
It's FEF, not FEOF

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #27122 on: April 15, 2016, 05:20:04 pm »

casting white people is racism now?
Casting white people as non-white roles is racism which deserves to be righteously rebuked. Casting non-white people as white roles is, of course, progress which deserves to be celebrated and anyone who disagrees is a racist.
anyone who disagrees is a racist
OHH GAWD!!! I am getting Tumblr flashbacks.
Or Wikipedia, apparently.
Non-traditional casting, or integrated casting is the practice of casting a role without considering the actor's ethnicity. It derives its name from the medical condition of color blindness. A representative of Actors' Equity has disputed the use of the term "color blind", preferring the definition "non-traditional casting." Non-traditional casting "is defined as the casting of ethnic minority and female actors in roles where race, ethnicity, or sex is not germane."[1]

Cringe is the standard that live action adaptations of animes and videogames aspire to. Not literally, but that's how it seems a lot of the time.
I'm pretty sure it's an acceptable outcome, at the very least.

That or some kind of weird trap that keeps luring in rubes with promises of vast amounts of money, then inevitably becomes too complicated after it's already too late to back out. I'd wager on it just being a name grab they know is going to most piss off people who are either going to see it anyway or would be pissed off at anything, though.

At least the D&D films embraced it.
I enjoyed the first one waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much.

Been reading (not watching, as usual) KonoSuba. It's pretty cute and silly, despite a few spineless cliches. It seems more slice of life in a video game setting than properly fantasy/video game itself, though; that stuff comes up, but it's mostly "'friends' dicking around near monsters for personal reasons" rather than anything important or especially motivated.

Also I feel a little dirty for being taken in by Worthless Goddess stealing food. This is some here squee over a sack of kittens shit, but it's working.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27123 on: April 15, 2016, 05:30:53 pm »

Wasn't there a play that was flooded with criticism for duel casting Martin Luther King as both a black and a white person?

I mean how incredibly stupid do you have to be not to realize that the entire point of MLK's message was that colour doesn't matter?

fake edit: http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/nov/10/martin-luther-king-white-actor-university

oooooor lets get back to anime.

Finished Kill La Kill last week, was ok but not really mind blowing.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27124 on: April 15, 2016, 05:42:29 pm »

Wasn't there a play that was flooded with criticism for duel casting Martin Luther King as both a black and a white person?

I mean how incredibly stupid do you have to be not to realize that the entire point of MLK's message was that colour doesn't matter?

fake edit: http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/nov/10/martin-luther-king-white-actor-university

This shit, though, man. If you avoid casting non-white actors as white characters or non-heterosexual men as heterosexual male characters (as part and parcel of casting actors into roles which they are suited for both physically and tempermentally) you are literally bigot Satan, but if you cast white/male/heterosexual actors in roles outside those demographics you are also literally bigot Satan.

And I'm not even a big proponent of casting actors into characters that they don't resemble on a basic level, but... it's a valid choice in theatre, even if it requires more effort from the cast and more awareness of the source on the part of the audience. It's the hypocrisy that gets me every time--that, or the lack of self-awareness. I'd put money on that playwright not blinking at a woman or non-white being cast as, say, Hamlet.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #27125 on: April 15, 2016, 05:45:01 pm »

Could you quote who said that?  Because unless I'm missing something no one in the last page accused any forumites of being racist.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27126 on: April 15, 2016, 05:54:01 pm »

It was said satirically.

anyone who disagrees is a racist.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #27127 on: April 15, 2016, 06:09:13 pm »

oooooor lets get back to anime.

Finished Kill La Kill last week, was ok but not really mind blowing.
What how dare you
Spoiler: Kind of spoiler? (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27128 on: April 15, 2016, 07:03:40 pm »

casting white people is racism now?
Casting white people as non-white roles is racism which deserves to be righteously rebuked. Casting non-white people as white roles is, of course, progress which deserves to be celebrated and anyone who disagrees is a racist.
Or Wikipedia, apparently.
Yeah, wikipedia is a lot more subtle about its bias though, since there's at least official policies against it.

Been reading (not watching, as usual) KonoSuba.
This is a case where the adaptation actually adds quite a lot, I recommend watching it. Or both, which is what I chose.

Could you quote who said that?  Because unless I'm missing something no one in the last page accused any forumites of being racist.
I said it, and I wasn't accusing anyone here of anything. Just taking a bit of a piss at the "white Japanese" problem. I do agree that it's a bit tough from an immersion perspective, but to me it makes sense as a practical concern. There's not that many Japanese people who are good actors in English. Japan's economy is too good for a lot of people to leave, and they have their own film scene which does quite well domestically.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27129 on: April 15, 2016, 07:35:35 pm »

It's truly unfortunate that there are no Americans with Japanese heritage who are dying to be cast in roles. Good thing there's no systematic bias in casting under the Hollywood system, proven by the fact that there was absolutely no alternatives than to cast a white woman.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #27130 on: April 15, 2016, 08:02:10 pm »

hey remember the lead actress role of pacific rim

look

there's a solution

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #27131 on: April 15, 2016, 08:15:23 pm »

She's not black so clearly the entire film industry is full of KKK

Japan's economy is too good for a lot of people to leave
Don't they have like 1 in 8 people below the poverty line?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27132 on: April 15, 2016, 08:20:52 pm »

Japan's economy is too good for a lot of people to leave
Don't they have like 1 in 8 people below the poverty line?

That is better than the USA actually (assuming Japan is EXACTLY 1 in 8) (and researching it... It is like 1.7% higher then the US)

Canada isn't too much better with 1 in 10 below the poverty line.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #27133 on: April 15, 2016, 08:51:25 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 10:19:06 pm by Orange Wizard »
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27134 on: April 15, 2016, 08:57:32 pm »

The problem is that poverty measures are relative to mean or median income (e.g. if the middle-class grows, then "poverty" increases even if poor people aren't doing any worse than before), calculated per country, may use different definitions, and don't take into account the value of additional non-monetary services that are provided (e.g. subsidized transport, healthcare, schooling). So they're almost completely useless to compare between countries.

By this measure Kazakhstan and Malaysia are some of the best places to live, with ~ 1 in 20 living in poverty, China, Russia, Indonesia and Vietnam score lower on "poverty" than USA and Japan. So it's completely pointless to use the headline figure to try and prove anything about different countries.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 09:09:43 pm by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 1807 1808 [1809] 1810 1811 ... 2193