Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1788 1789 [1790] 1791 1792 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3064600 times)

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #26835 on: March 26, 2016, 07:33:06 pm »

Isn't the manga for that unfinished?
It's FEF, not FEOF

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #26836 on: March 26, 2016, 07:39:06 pm »

Isn't the manga for that unfinished?
I think they pulled a George RR Martin and finished the show before the source.

>_> From what I heard there was a critical failure of a explanation given later.
The explanations in The Prisoner are intentionally vague IIRC. It's a failure from an "understanding what's going on" perspective, but that wasn't really the point of it anyway.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #26837 on: March 26, 2016, 07:42:37 pm »

I think they pulled a George RR Martin and finished the show before the source.
Pulling a George RR Martin. Not pulling a Full Metal Alchemist? Not pulling a Hellsing? Not pulling a reverse Attack on Titan?

c'mon man this is an anime thread
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26838 on: March 26, 2016, 08:23:44 pm »

Finished the last(?) episode of Boku dake ga etcetera. In retrospect, it was pretty... meh. Most of the appreciation seems to have come from the cliffhangers; anticipating what was going to happen next. Not to say I didn't enjoy it - I absolutely did - but it never lived up to the masterpiece we were waiting for.

Yeah I got the same feeling. Its a fine ending but the episodes before that were just really great and actually moved me. The ending act is somewhat different/longer in the original manga though, but I think its fine that they choose to spend the time they had on the really strong part of the story.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26839 on: March 26, 2016, 08:43:24 pm »

Finished the last(?) episode of Boku dake ga etcetera. In retrospect, it was pretty... meh. ... it never lived up to the masterpiece we were waiting for.
Told y'all so.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26840 on: March 26, 2016, 09:42:17 pm »

Finished the last(?) episode of Boku dake ga etcetera. In retrospect, it was pretty... meh. ... it never lived up to the masterpiece we were waiting for.
Told y'all so.

On a relative basis, it's still up with the best shows of the season however. Maybe it's not as good as Cowboy Beebop, but that doesn't make it a bad recommendation for this season.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 12:47:44 am by Reelya »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26841 on: March 27, 2016, 01:22:46 am »

it's still up with the best shows of the season however.
That's not much of an achievement.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26842 on: March 27, 2016, 02:32:51 am »

Still, recs for the current season are exactly that: recs for the current season. So, no you didn't tell us so, unless that show literally wasn't worth watching at all.

I'm still hurting because of a show you did recommend - Koukaku no Pandora. That's something I literally regret starting.

Things are recommendable if they do something no other show has done, or they do it better than before. Can you name another anime that tries to do what Boku Dake does, let alone does it better? For Koukaku no Pandora, there are countless shows that have similar basic elements done better.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 02:39:43 am by Reelya »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #26843 on: March 27, 2016, 03:24:43 am »

Can you name another anime that tries to do what Boku Dake does, let alone does it better?
Steins;Gate does murder mystery time travel very well. It's a slightly different approach though.

My opinion on Boku Dake is basically just "it's decent". I wouldn't go out of my way to recommend it to someone, but it was enjoyable and engaging to watch, assuming the premise appeals to you.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26844 on: March 27, 2016, 03:30:38 am »

Boku Dake... is probably better than Charlotte, which is plagued with irreconcilable pacing for yet another Jun Maeda anime.

Either way, I can probably say that all anime is shit 80% of the time from out of nowhere, and maybe give or take I'll have someone also yielding the same results and agreeing with me due to differences in taste.

Seems to me Reelya is more focused on thinker animes, with an aversion to harem and non-justifiable ecchi.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26845 on: March 27, 2016, 04:36:32 am »

Seems to me Reelya is more focused on thinker animes, with an aversion to harem and non-justifiable ecchi.

I wouldn't really say that particularly, I just didn't think Koukaku no Pandora was a good entry in it's genre. Any ecchi elements weren't part of my complaint. It was disjointed, action was sporadic, slice of life eps were kinda lame (and I like a lot of slice of life series), has a very typical bad-guy setup, with the typical trickle of scenes all season, then a rushed boss battle in the last few eps.

None of that would have really mattered if the characters were more interesting. the MC is too much mary sue, with no real traits except being friendly and having a unique ability to do anything, sidekick is just a deadpan loli, and the third main character is a loli hacker with no real traits except for being a loli hacker. There's a small yellow robot who's meant to add comic relief, but I just found him obnoxious as hell. Other character such as the reporter girl really only existed as a single running gag: she keeps trying to report news and bad stuff happens to her. Again, this wouldn't matter if the main characters were more fleshed out. There was also no character conflict of any note. Even last season's Hidan no Aria AA had more going for it in this regards: both shows are ecchi yuri battle + slice of life animes, yet in Pandora they're really just "best friends" with a hint of smut, but Aria makes the yuri a plot point around which inter-character conflict develops.

... for something in the vicinity of Koukaku no Pandora that I liked - Symphogear is a good example.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 04:47:12 am by Reelya »

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26846 on: March 27, 2016, 06:26:28 am »

Nah, I just kinda generalized, since you largely disliked the top MyAnimeList countdowns, most of which are haremshit with a bunch of ecchi. Non-justifiable meaning ecchi for its own sake; where it suddenly appears in hopes that it would increase rankings.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #26847 on: March 27, 2016, 09:50:26 am »

In recent news, Iron Blooded Orphans season 2 coming in Fall, Arslan season 2 confirmed for July, Fate/Extra anime by Shaft has been announced, and Fate/Heavens Feel confirmed to be three movies and not just one.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 04:25:06 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26848 on: March 27, 2016, 12:59:14 pm »

I'm still hurting because of a show you did recommend - Koukaku no Pandora. That's something I literally regret starting.
The appeal has worn off for me too, but it was still a nice and novel little thing that did something we haven't seen in a long time. It hasn't usurped YuYuYu as Gokumi's best, but I'm still happy that they made it and I look forward to seeing what they make next.

On a different note, ANN said something kind of insightful for once:
Most of us haven't been swallowed by giant frogs or had to negotiate with angry dullahans, but we've certainly dealt with thankless jobs or unfriendly neighbors. KONOSUBA is essentially a fantasy-transposed story about young people with odd but diverse qualifications attempting to succeed in an unforgiving job market. They struggle with debt, take on jobs they shouldn't because the pay is good, and often get too wrapped up in enjoying small victories to think about the big picture.

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26849 on: March 27, 2016, 09:03:52 pm »

I just finished the 12th episode of One Puch Man. Never thought I'd like it that much, but I enjoyed it a lot in the end.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

On the complete other side of the spectrum, I've been trying my hardest to find a decent Anime in the romance genre. Specifically one that deals with an actual relationship, and not just constant teasing, love triangles or outright harems.

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not opposed to that sort of stuff, heck I enjoy quite a few, for the humour at least. But I'd love to watch something that at least _tries_ to take the theme seriously from time to time. I've been over so much stuff where you have things like:

- last minute confessions, where the series then usually ends. leaving me with that "Wait, that's it?" feeling.
- Constant teasing with no payoff. And no, I dont mean I want to see them get it on specifically, but teasing romantic feelings between characters for anywhere between 10 to 30 Episodes just drives me up the wall.
- Or the main guy being fawned over by x Girls, the number steadily increasing. Especially aggravating if t's obvious who the actual love interest is.

I watched Zero no Tsukaima last week, and it did all three to the point where I wanted to send the main character an "emergency blue balls" package.

Skimming trough myanimelist threw up Sankarea, Clannad and Nazo no Kanojo X as potential try outs. I'd be grateful for some recommendations tough, if you guys have any.
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.
Pages: 1 ... 1788 1789 [1790] 1791 1792 ... 2193