Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1776 1777 [1778] 1779 1780 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3066169 times)

Corselet

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Knight of Faith
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #26655 on: February 28, 2016, 09:50:39 pm »

Gargantia - On the Verdurous Planet ... 13 episodes.

Add two bonus episodes. Then add another two bonus episodes of which the last will be out in April, and there will be 17 episodes in total. Which sounds like "cool, extra episodes" until you find out there was supposed to be a season two, but it got cancelled.

Man, that sucks. Well, thanks for telling me.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26656 on: February 29, 2016, 06:00:00 am »

One thing that's rather novel about Grimgar is that armour actually works and it works often. I don't think I've ever seen that before. Seriously, not in live-action, anime, or cartoons have I seen armour actually be as useful and relevant as it is in Grimgar without being some kind of magical macguffin or something.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26657 on: February 29, 2016, 01:50:07 pm »

How come the common cold is the most deadly disease in existence in anime?
Japanese buildings are very poorly insulated, and central heating is rare. On top of that, Japanese people tend to work hard and sleep less, and have fairly low bodyfat. Colds are much more serious in Japan than they are in the US or Europe.

Oh, it's ridiculous.
I agree that the Japanese housing industry outputs a ridiculously low-quality product (the average house adds 0 value to the land it's on after 15 years) but the anime portrayal of people's reactions to it is good practice, which should be common practice in those situations. If they had been, Matsuki Miyu might very well be alive right now, among plenty of other less famous people.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #26658 on: February 29, 2016, 03:40:56 pm »

FLCL makes more sense when you know that... well actually it doesn't but it becomes more understandable in concept. Basically according to legend Gainax's production staff made it as a stress relief after finishing Evangelion.
Note how I mentioned "glad they got that off their chests"? This is why. It's fine for FLCL to exist because it helped un-depress some epic animu peeps.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #26659 on: February 29, 2016, 03:55:37 pm »

I just couldn't understand it on any level really.
The dialogue was like every sentence was wholly disconnected from the sentences before it and after it.
And that's to say nothing of the overall plot.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #26660 on: February 29, 2016, 05:00:59 pm »

Japanese buildings are very poorly insulated, and central heating is rare. On top of that, Japanese people tend to work hard and sleep less, and have fairly low bodyfat. Colds are much more serious in Japan than they are in the US or Europe.
I swear Japan is basically the worst place to live among developed countries
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26661 on: February 29, 2016, 05:03:53 pm »

And yet they live longer than anyone else. There must be more to that. The end-of-day statistics don't really bear out the idea that Japanese people live in the most deadly conditions of any advanced nation.

In the USA you have entire states like Alabama and Mississippi. I can't see those as "better" than living in even the least developed part of Japan.

Central heating is a load of crap and a big contributor to global warming. Japan uses space heating, i.e. you only heat up the rooms you use, which is a heap more efficient. Also, the relative cold of Japan vs the the northern USA is less. People in the southern USA are less likely to have central heating, same as Japan, because they really don't need it so much. They will all have aircon however.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 05:17:12 pm by Reelya »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #26662 on: February 29, 2016, 05:11:21 pm »

That was hyperbole :P

It's certainly safer, strictly speaking, but it doesn't seem terribly pleasant.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26663 on: February 29, 2016, 05:17:43 pm »

I've never lived anywhere with central heating and it's no big deal. And you'd have to work extra hours to afford to leave the central heating on.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #26664 on: February 29, 2016, 05:21:25 pm »

Just let me feel better about myself, okay?

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #26665 on: February 29, 2016, 05:30:14 pm »

« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 08:33:41 pm by penguinofhonor »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26666 on: February 29, 2016, 05:43:26 pm »

FLCL was probably the first show that my adolescent mind latched onto as being something "Like so deep and meaning, full of profound messages that most people just wouldn't get, man." or something pretentious like that. That, plus Haruka joined the league of extraordinary waifus for my poor pubescent self, so it was only natural that I watched it over and over at every given opportunity when it showed up on Adult Swim.

Honestly, I rewatched the show somewhat recently, I'm still sorta convinced there's a deep message about (spoilers made invisible) a boy wanting to come of age and accept his role as a man, dealing with the sudden absence and infidelity of his brother, coping with the many feelings and frustrations that come with being a teenager, and coming to terms that even if he wants to grow up as fast as possible that it's OK to just enjoy being a child while you still can. Damn near everything about the show remains impressive to this day.

Corselet

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Knight of Faith
    • View Profile
« Reply #26667 on: February 29, 2016, 08:04:44 pm »

Honestly, I rewatched the show somewhat recently, I'm still sorta convinced there's a deep message about (spoilers made invisible) a boy wanting to come of age and accept his role as a man, dealing with the sudden absence and infidelity of his brother, coping with the many feelings and frustrations that come with being a teenager, and coming to terms that even if he wants to grow up as fast as possible that it's OK to just enjoy being a child while you still can.

I think that's true. I've been told that it's basically a retelling of Evangelion, but psychedelic instead of mind-numbingly depressing.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26668 on: March 01, 2016, 05:06:49 am »

"hey magicnazi guy seems like he really cares for people maybe he isn't so ba...oh wait he went on a genocidal rant again. But maybe THIS TIME I think the same thing oops he kicked a muggle kid down the stairs. When was I planning to do something about this again?"

I kinda think this is a common complaint about shows. Not necessarily in this case but often because things sometimes don't go the cliched "fiction" way people complain that "that's not realistic" or "I wouldn't put up with that abuse". Whereas in reality, that sort of story - an abusive father figure and a kid who is torn between rebelling vs trying to redeem that father figure - is actually a common real-life story.

Basically Magi 2 is about having a racist dad. So, your "dad" is abusive, why not "simply" kill you dad? I certainly wouldn't pussyfoot around the issue! Is how the advice would actually sound if you understand fiction as a metaphor for real life. The father figure in Magi 2 flip-flops between being abusive and caring. That's the most common pattern in abusive relationships (people just run away from people who are abusive 100% of the time).
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 05:10:16 am by Reelya »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26669 on: March 01, 2016, 03:33:43 pm »

And yet they live longer than anyone else. There must be more to that.
Good healthcare and diet. Incredibly low rate of violent crime. A strong focus on health in the school system. Genetics might play a part as well.

In the USA you have entire states like Alabama and Mississippi. I can't see those as "better" than living in even the least developed part of Japan.
What's so terrible about living in Alabama or Mississippi?

Central heating is a load of crap and a big contributor to global warming. Japan uses space heating, i.e. you only heat up the rooms you use, which is a heap more efficient.
It's efficient if you really only do have a couple rooms, and if your buildings are well-insulated. Keeping warm in Japan, at a level equivalent to what you would in the same temperatures in the US, will cost you several times more.
Pages: 1 ... 1776 1777 [1778] 1779 1780 ... 2193