Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1773 1774 [1775] 1776 1777 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3066587 times)

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #26610 on: February 26, 2016, 07:12:57 pm »

@LordInquisitor:

I'd recommend Fullmetal Alchemist[Brotherhood is the one I can vouch is good, not sure about the other one.]. I don't see it anywhere on any of your lists and it seems like it'd fit right in at the very top.

I'd vouch for this because it has some great fights, but greater characters who make sense and approximately 0 filler.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #26611 on: February 26, 2016, 07:15:09 pm »

Disclaimer: Personally SAO is one of my favorite animes for reasons I've outlined here several times
SAO actually doesn't deserve most of the hate it gets IMO. I mean, it's not great, but it's one of the better examples of a shounen harem/battle anime you're going to find.

Also seconding The Devil is a Part-Timer, that show's great.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #26612 on: February 26, 2016, 11:36:06 pm »

There are bigger gaps. Pop music, for example.

Nah, pop music's almost always decent at the least, often actually good. Doesn't need to be new or even particularly interesting to be good. SAO is nearly offensively bad, though. I think it's mostly only so popular because it's standard wish fulfillment OP protagonist haremshit that happens to be relatable because it's in an MMO.
Speaking of which, SAO Abridged fully justifies the series' existence IMO. Er... the right one does, anyway. "SAO Abridged Parody," apparently there's a lot of them.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #26613 on: February 26, 2016, 11:44:18 pm »

Up to Act 4 in Katawa Shoujo... man, this VN is great.
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26614 on: February 26, 2016, 11:48:02 pm »

Up to Act 4 in Katawa Shoujo... man, this VN is great.

Yeah, Emi is the best, heh?

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #26615 on: February 26, 2016, 11:50:47 pm »

Lilly. Emi's introduction isn't exactly what I'd say as... Pleasant for Hisao.

I actually don't know how I'm going to bring myself to play on all the other lines for 100% completion... but at least I didnt get Kenji's ending.
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26616 on: February 26, 2016, 11:58:30 pm »

But Kenji's ending is the best one! :P

If we're talking about KS for a little while, I will say without the slightest bit of hesitation that Hanako was my first non-Kenji route and that I binged the entire thing in pretty much one sitting, staying up far too late because I couldn't be pulled away. And yes, I did cry a little.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #26617 on: February 27, 2016, 12:14:33 am »

But Kenji's ending is the best one! :P
+1

Lilly best girl. Didn't like her ending though; there was too much flip-flopping between "It's good end! Nope, it's a bad end! Good end! Bad end!" and keeps happening to the point where you're basically counting down to the next totally surprising plot twist.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #26618 on: February 27, 2016, 12:32:29 am »

Anyone have any recommendations for ME?

I have practically the exact opposite tastes as LordInquisitor :P

But yeah, I'm a shonen fanboy who typically doesn't enjoy a work until someone makes a mountain explode by glaring at it.

Ones I've enjoyed:
Kill La Kill (literally the best thing ever)
TTGL (former best thing ever)
Fairy Tail (wish I had started this one in subs, but there was a dub and now I'm stuck a season behind because all the voices sound wrong in the sub)
GATE
Seven Deadly Sins
DBZ (how could I not?)
Hellsing
One Punch Man

There's probably more I've watched, but I can't remember atm.

Things I generally don't enjoy: Overly Depressing Shit. This turned me off of Fullmetal Alchemist, and is why I don't even ATTEMPT to watch Berserk or Evangelion. To clarify, I stop enjoying things when it becomes clear the world is just terrible and not getting better ever. So an Arc where Shit Gets Real is fine, but if the setting is Rapeworld then I won't bother.

Ones I didn't enjoy:
Fullmetal Alchemist (its just TOO DAMN DEPRESSING)
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (I should probably give this one a second chance, because the reason I hated was the doormat first protag.)
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26619 on: February 27, 2016, 12:46:48 am »

I'll go ahead and recommend PMMM to you as well. No exploding mountains, but the action sequences have plenty of energy. You might have to power through some depressing moments but the ending is totally worth it.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #26620 on: February 27, 2016, 12:54:17 am »

Kill La Kill (literally the best thing ever)
Aw yeah

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (I should probably give this one a second chance, because the reason I hated was the doormat first protag.)
Depending on which parts you're talking about, this might get better even within Part One. You'll definitely like Part Two either way, though.

Can't think of any recommendations other than to retry JoJo's, though. PPE: I lied

I'll go ahead and recommend PMMM to you as well. No exploding mountains, but the action sequences have plenty of energy. You might have to power through some depressing moments but the ending is totally worth it.
I might actually suggest Yuki Yuna ahead of PMMM. It's more shoneny and mountain-exploding, though possibly also more friendship-oriented.

Also, uh, if you don't like doormat protagonists you might have to bear with it for a bit. I wouldn't say it starts slow, exactly, but its initial main character intro isn't exactly that of a raging berserker.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26621 on: February 27, 2016, 12:56:19 am »

Guys, I don't think PMMM or Yuki Yuna are great suggestions to someone who made it clear they don't like depressing stuff.

Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic, based on the similar genre to Seven Deadly Sin and Fairy Tail. Some arcs do have depressing stuff happen, but overall it's pretty lighthearted.

Kaze no Stigma   was in the recs for Fairy Tail. It's a little darker but not really "depressing". Might be something you'd like.

Concret Revolutio from last year: you might like that one.

Black Lagoon, based on lots of guns + explosions.

BTW for JoJo, the first pro-tag's story only goes for 9 episodes, and he gets more badass during that arc anyway. So, "young and wimpy" really only characterizes the first 2-3 episodes out of a 70+ episode story so far...

Also, you can take a look at sports anime. They can get pretty hot blooded, and don't get too depressing. Hajime no Ippo, Kuroko's Basketball, Yowamishi Pedal. Sure, they don't blow up mountains but they are pretty Gar series.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 01:07:55 am by Reelya »

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #26622 on: February 27, 2016, 01:34:51 am »

Guys, I don't think PMMM or Yuki Yuna are great suggestions to someone who made it clear they don't like depressing stuff.

Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic, based on the similar genre to Seven Deadly Sin and Fairy Tail. Some arcs do have depressing stuff happen, but overall it's pretty lighthearted.

Kaze no Stigma   was in the recs for Fairy Tail. It's a little darker but not really "depressing". Might be something you'd like.
Anything similar to Fairy Tail works for me.
I'll try the suggestions the other guys made though. As I tried to explain, its ok if something is depressing if there is an effort by the characters to make things better, and said effort actually goes somewhere.

For example, I enjoy Attack on Titan. I forgot to mention this in the first post somehow, but I like it because while it has incredibly depressing shit, said shit is presented as a problem to overcome instead of just how things are and always will be.
I.E. people are trying to fix shit in Attack on Titan. In Fullmetal Alchemist however, the protags pretty much shrug their shoulders and just roll with it when that happens.

Concret Revolutio from last year: you might like that one.
Any info other then "it exists"? :P

Black Lagoon, based on lots of guns + explosions.
Actually already tried this one and found it very VERY boring.
BFEL likes magic shonen OVER 9000 violence. Real world violence is boring.

BTW for JoJo, the first pro-tag's story only goes for 9 episodes, and he gets more badass during that arc anyway. So, "young and wimpy" really only characterizes the first 2-3 episodes out of a 70+ episode story so far...

Also, you can take a look at sports anime. They can get pretty hot blooded, and don't get too depressing. Hajime no Ippo, Kuroko's Basketball, Yowamishi Pedal. Sure, they don't blow up mountains but they are pretty Gar series.
Yeah, I know about JoJo's protag hopping, which is why I noted I should try it again. And it wasn't him being "young and wimpy" that put me off it was him just letting vampire boy walk all over him. "Hey I killed your dog brutally just to be a dick!" "Oh, ok. I'm mad about that, but I'll still spend 3 more years just taking your shit before I do anything about it."

And sports really doesn't do it for me. See above about Black Lagoon.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26623 on: February 27, 2016, 02:05:52 am »

Things I generally don't enjoy: Overly Depressing Shit. This turned me off of Fullmetal Alchemist, and is why I don't even ATTEMPT to watch Berserk or Evangelion. To clarify, I stop enjoying things when it becomes clear the world is just terrible and not getting better ever. So an Arc where Shit Gets Real is fine, but if the setting is Rapeworld then I won't bother.

Ones I didn't enjoy:
Fullmetal Alchemist (its just TOO DAMN DEPRESSING)
Seems closer to reality then rapeworld.  At least in my opinion for FMA...
... But then, some places in reality could be considered as such...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #26624 on: February 27, 2016, 03:08:04 am »

Seems closer to reality then rapeworld.  At least in my opinion for FMA...
I get the feeling he felt like that after seeing Girl x Dog
Pages: 1 ... 1773 1774 [1775] 1776 1777 ... 2193