Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1772 1773 [1774] 1775 1776 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3066554 times)

Mattk50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #26595 on: February 26, 2016, 01:48:48 pm »

-snip-
I think you'd love parasyte, as long as you don't have a phobia to, well, parasites digging into people's skin and generally medium-high amounts of gore. Its not really about the gore though, the show has a strong core cast and a good story.

Shin sekai yori if you can look over the animation and a few early pacing issues/very misleading first episode, if you liked code geass(that had animation issues too) it should be a good fit.

Log horizon might be fun for you just to counterpoint for your most hated swords art online, LH is an example of an MMO anime done well, the only issue with it is the second season (each 25 episodes) is animated/directed by deen and there is a moderate decline in quality as a result.

Its not really similar to anything you mentioned but because your most enjoyed section is very similar to my own, and i also really liked steins gate, you might wanna check that out.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #26596 on: February 26, 2016, 01:55:03 pm »

y'know i'm still weirded out that people like sword art online

it's probably got the biggest gap between quality and popularity of any piece of work I've ever seen in my life

...i think i've mentioned this before?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #26597 on: February 26, 2016, 02:26:38 pm »

There are bigger gaps. Pop music, for example.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #26598 on: February 26, 2016, 02:57:15 pm »

Pop music isn't actually that bad. It's usually got a pretty decent technical qualities by my understanding, even if it achieves that through rigorous calculations of what appeals to the majority of people. And while the lyrics may usually be anywhere from vapid to outright stupid, they're often not the make-or-break quality to music that is largely designed to be a backdrop to other activities like driving, dancing, or talking with friends. I guess you might say that the cultural attitudes it promotes as standard and normal are bad, but condemning it for its qualities as a musical genre seems different than doing so for its social influence. It's not a genre I enjoy most of the time, but I can accept that other people have decent reasons for it.

:P
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
  • Innocence proves nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26599 on: February 26, 2016, 03:04:13 pm »

@ Reelya

Many thanks for your nice suggestions. I´ve started with Shinsekai Yori and i`m now hooked. At first i was kinda put off by the age of the characters, but by now (episode 6) that feeling has vanished completely. I will surely try out your other recommendations as well. :)

@ Cruxador

Also thanks for your suggestions, which will be added to my "to watch list". :) I`m also sorry if i sounded pretentious; that most certainly wasn`t my intent. Realistic might have been the wrong term or my sentences flawed. Realistic was mostly refering to the art style- Especially concerning the design of the characters. For example; If you compare the people in gravity falls to those in death note, the latter would look far more realistic and less stylized.

@ Matt50

And again thanks to you as well. I have no phobia against gore and stuff and as such parasite might indeed be something i`d enjoy.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #26600 on: February 26, 2016, 03:27:02 pm »

Nah, pop music's almost always decent at the least, often actually good. Doesn't need to be new or even particularly interesting to be good. SAO is nearly offensively bad, though. I think it's mostly only so popular because it's standard wish fulfillment OP protagonist haremshit that happens to be relatable because it's in an MMO.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26601 on: February 26, 2016, 03:29:06 pm »

it's probably got the biggest gap between quality and popularity of any piece of work I've ever seen in my life
Not really uncommon, it's the same as Naruto before it and Inuyasha before that. Throw in a spunky main guy and with a woman that people can project themselves onto, and teenage girls eat that shit up. Which isn't to say that they're wrong to do so. It's just that what teenage girls are looking for in their media consumption is generally very different from what most of us hold in high regard as indicators of quality.

Pop music is far to broad a category to call categorically good or bad.

Also thanks for your suggestions, which will be added to my "to watch list". :) I`m also sorry if i sounded pretentious; that most certainly wasn`t my intent. Realistic might have been the wrong term or my sentences flawed. Realistic was mostly refering to the art style- Especially concerning the design of the characters. For example; If you compare the people in gravity falls to those in death note, the latter would look far more realistic and less stylized.
"Pretentious" may not have been perfect word choice either. It just painted the picture that what you wanted was at a much higher level of specificity and obscurity than your examples presented.

Also, gravity falls isn't anime. I knew you meant aesthetic realism, but I was thinking of things like... Reelya mentioned Monster, for example. And I hit your spoiler and there's Code Geass. Deathnote's visually fairly realistic for having a reasonable budget, but it's so mainstream that it still ran counter to the impression your description gave.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26602 on: February 26, 2016, 04:42:49 pm »

Hello fine folks!

This seems like the right place to ask for anime recommendations. I`m currently searching for a nice anime to watch, but alas, to no avail. Even myanimelist with it`s recommendations doesn`t turn up much.  My taste might be "special" (or not) so i`ll list some of the anime i`ve enjoyed and some i didn`t enjoy and some (short) reasons as to why in order to make it easier for you to make suggestions.

General likes/dislikes:

I rather like anime with an "realistic" art style and "realistic" fights. I also hugely enjoy complex characters which aren`t purely good or evil. I dislike overpowered characters, or rather characters who win too easily- Even if a character has some amazing power he should struggle and shouldn`t triumph solely through his powers. I tend to favor older, or at least late teenish characters and mature settings and themes.

I absolutely detest all kinds of harem anime.
Alrighty then, I think I can make some a recommendation.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica - This is one of the most famous and well-liked magical girl shows on the Internet for a reason. It has wonderfully complex characters, a unique art style, and it puts a very interesting twist on the magical girl genre. It deconstructs such sentiments as the "power of friendship" by showing how it doesn't work, but it also shows the many cases where it does work and works well. While it does have its occasional dark moments, there's always a sense that the characters' lives are improving as they learn and grow.
+Hugely complex characters which aren't purely good or evil
+No overpowered characters
+Even the powerful characters have to put genuine effort
+Mature themes
-Unrealistic art style and fights
-Early/mid-teenish characters
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 06:47:11 pm by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26603 on: February 26, 2016, 04:55:32 pm »

I'll second PMMM. It's definitely worth checking out, at least for three episodes. That should be long enough to give you an idea whether to continue or not.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #26604 on: February 26, 2016, 04:56:17 pm »

I'll third that.

Definitely at least three episodes.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #26605 on: February 26, 2016, 05:02:51 pm »

Yuki Yuna is worth watching after PMMMMMMMMM as well. It's the same but different.

+No overpowered characters
You say that...
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26606 on: February 26, 2016, 06:24:33 pm »

@LordInquisitor:

I'd recommend Fullmetal Alchemist[Brotherhood is the one I can vouch is good, not sure about the other one.]. I don't see it anywhere on any of your lists and it seems like it'd fit right in at the very top.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #26607 on: February 26, 2016, 06:44:27 pm »

@LordInquisitor:

I'd recommend Fullmetal Alchemist[Brotherhood is the one I can vouch is good, not sure about the other one.]. I don't see it anywhere on any of your lists and it seems like it'd fit right in at the very top.
It's literally in his "immensely enjoyed" category. :P

...i think i've mentioned this before?
Oh it's not that bad of a gap compared to shows like Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei or No Game No Life. At least SAO, when framed the right way can be taken as at least a decent story with character growth and development and whatnot (Note: I'm not even gonna try to defend the games or books, but the anime has some good moments if you look at it right. Disclaimer: Personally SAO is one of my favorite animes for reasons I've outlined here several times). Mahouka or NGNL are/were crazy popular, and as a person who has watched at least some of each I'll say they have much less of a defense against criticisms. :P

My suggestions:
If you're looking for complex plots and grey characters you might check out the Baccano! and Durarara!! series. Baccano is a bit more fantastical, while Durarara!! is more modern but kept going for more seasons. Both have very complex plots and casts (in sort of soap-opera-ish in a way) which lends them well to binge-watching (less so to 1 episode a night type of viewership, though they don't utterly fail at that). However I'll warn you that they both take quite a while to get rolling; neither really hits it's stride until at least halfway through a season, and even then it's in much more of a slice-of-life touched with a bit of the fantastical than a straight out battle like many of your favorite shows get into.

Also if you're ever in the mood for a hilarious, light comedy anime I highly suggest checking out The Devil is a Part-timer! (which supposedly gets a little more deep in plot/characters in what would be a second season if one ever comes out). It's easily one of the most hilarious anime's that I've ever watched:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 06:47:24 pm by i2amroy »
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26608 on: February 26, 2016, 06:49:52 pm »

@LordInquisitor:

It's literally in his "immensely enjoyed" category. :P

ah

heh

heh

oops

reading is hard
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26609 on: February 26, 2016, 06:55:53 pm »

@LordInquisitor: I forgot to add Black Lagoon in there.

@GreatJustice: I wouldn't call Gangsta a "B Movie" compared to other anime. Tokyo Ghoul was much more of a B-Movie. In Gangsta, the story is about two mafia enforcers + a street prostitute, and the seedy shit that goes down in the town where they live, which is your usual slum hellhole. Also, one of the three main characters is deaf and has to lip read, and talks like a deaf person usually does. All three of the main characters have some shitty life histories.

It's mostly realistic and a kinda depressing setting. But the author added a single "sci-fi" twist (in quotes because the show doesn't have any usual sci-fi elements such as high tech). In this world, there was a big war in which some people were tampered with genetically to make them stronger. After the war these people were basically discarded and shunned by society (kinda makes me think it's an allusion to Vietnam veterans), so many of them turned to working for the mafia as enforcers. This element detracted from the whole as far as I'm concerned, as having super-powered battles inside an otherwise realistic story kinda caused mood whiplash.
Pages: 1 ... 1772 1773 [1774] 1775 1776 ... 2193