Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1762 1763 [1764] 1765 1766 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3067581 times)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #26445 on: February 19, 2016, 02:24:42 am »

So how does streaming make something bad now
Good luck streaming something in halfway decent quality. You won't be able to do it from CR or Funi. And while Funi has worse encodes, CR still has quite terrible translations.

Crunchyroll has actually been really great for the industry, and for subbers. If you watch a fansub these days, the odds are that it's based on Crunchyroll.
Maybe if you're watching in Spanish, since a lot of Spanish subbers translate from English. But in English that's not at all true. There's [HorribleSubs] which is literally just those releases, and there's [BakedFish] which adds those .ass files to a better video encode, and that's pretty much it. Actual fansubbing is the same as it's ever been... Except deader. Because even fast groups like [Chihiro] are slower than the companies that get the episode early and can work from that, and so a lot of viewers just go with what's fastest, and fansub groups are withering and dieing. There's tons of shows every season now that have no TL other than CR/Funi, which would definitely have been translated even a couple years ago. The net effect is a decrease in the quality that's available to us. If the benefit is that we now have subs for Sushi Police, I don't think it's a good tradeoff.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #26446 on: February 19, 2016, 02:29:52 am »

Good luck streaming something in halfway decent quality. You won't be able to do it from CR or Funi.
That only really applies if your definition of "halfway decent" is "literally the best available"

CR still has quite terrible translations.
I haven't noticed such a thing. Some range from "bad" to "decent", but for the most part the subs seem clear and reasonably accurate.

Really your whole complaint about streams sounds like "it's not perfect, which means it's shit".
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26447 on: February 19, 2016, 02:33:52 am »

Really your whole complaint about streams sounds like "it's not perfect, which means it's shit".
If "perfect" is 720p with one frame equal to one frame and in true color, then yeah, that's my complaint. Why settle for substantially less than television quality?

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #26448 on: February 19, 2016, 03:16:04 am »

Because Crunchyroll is free with internet, whereas I have to pay extra for cable, it would still have ads anyway (ones that I can't block with a browser extension), and I'd have to pay further to get channels that have anime, much less any shows that I actually give a damn about.

Also when I'm sitting back in a chair, I honestly can't tell the difference between SD and HD. I have to be hunched over my screen to pick out tiny artifacts. It's not a big deal to some people.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26449 on: February 19, 2016, 04:28:40 am »

So uh. It doesn't look like it's been mentioned on the last page or so but Danganronpa got ported to PC. Apparently they're planning to port the sequel as well.

My impression is that it's sort of a VN, which definitely get mentioned in this thread from time to time, so I figure I'll go ahead and post the news here.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #26450 on: February 19, 2016, 04:39:56 am »

We used to have a VN thread but it appears to have drifted into oblivion.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26451 on: February 19, 2016, 04:54:34 am »

Many VN's aren't even a game, they're basically the same as those anime picture drama DVD specials, but you need to click occasionally (rarely if you put them on auto).
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 04:56:41 am by Reelya »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26452 on: February 19, 2016, 05:07:02 am »

Hey Neon, I was just thinking, you'd probably really, genuinely love this anime called Super Gals, available on youtube.

It's about Gals, that are super. The entire show has a very positive and spirited attitude to it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26453 on: February 19, 2016, 05:10:14 am »

Hey Neon, I was just thinking, you'd probably really, genuinely love this anime called Super Gals, available on youtube.

It's about Gals, that are super. The entire show has a very positive and spirited attitude to it.

Maybe, I could use some cheering up.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26454 on: February 19, 2016, 05:35:19 am »

I'd suggest Hidamari Sketch as well for that. It's what you get when Shaft decide they're going to do a slice of life show (trippy visuals).

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26455 on: February 19, 2016, 05:46:55 am »

Now if only I could have something that could hit me in the guts like Fullmoon Wo Sagashite does.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26456 on: February 19, 2016, 06:00:35 am »

Check out Hotarubi no Mori e which is a 45 minute OVA, and Natsume Yuujinchou which is a tv show from the same manga writer + anime director, and has similar themes. They're pretty good and haven't got much of a plug in the thread, which they should.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #26457 on: February 19, 2016, 08:15:57 am »

Good luck streaming something in halfway decent quality. You won't be able to do it from CR or Funi.
That only really applies if your definition of "halfway decent" is "literally the best available"

CR still has quite terrible translations.
I haven't noticed such a thing. Some range from "bad" to "decent", but for the most part the subs seem clear and reasonably accurate.

I'd second this. Of course steaming will not be perfect quality, its advantage is that you don't need to find more hdd space to put stuff you might not watch again.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26458 on: February 19, 2016, 01:13:14 pm »

How can you have HDD space problems in this day and age? A 1TB drive is like $50, and an episode is like 1.2gigs, tops. And even if you never watch it again, how is it more advantageous to stream than to just download then delete? It's not like streaming has some magic algorithm to not use your bandwidth.

Many VN's aren't even a game, they're basically the same as those anime picture drama DVD specials, but you need to click occasionally (rarely if you put them on auto).
They're not supposed to be games. "VN" stands for "Visual Novel".

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26459 on: February 19, 2016, 02:07:36 pm »

Download speeds. It'd take me upwards of an hour to download an episode that I could stream in the runtime.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 1762 1763 [1764] 1765 1766 ... 2193