Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1756 1757 [1758] 1759 1760 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3067587 times)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #26355 on: February 15, 2016, 09:11:24 pm »

But the CG itself is very well-done.
I saw Deadpool this weekend. That has well-done CGI. But nothing on an anime budget can afford to do CGI well. Ultimately, of course the criticism is subjective – that's a property inherent to criticism. There is no absolute truth; we can rely on the democratic capitalism of BD sales, the pure democracy of MAL rankings or, theoretically, we could have some authority who tells us what's good and what isn't. But it all boils down to opinions.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #26356 on: February 15, 2016, 09:48:06 pm »

It's true that a lot of stuff doesn't come through as cleanly in the anime as in the original material, and the anime really only covers the introduction arc, but I think the main problem is that you're looking at it wrong. It's not a fighting-style franchise, it's more of a comedy SoL with action scenes.
The comedy, at least from what I've read, is mostly the same exact "gag" (see:title) and haha remember when this happens in shonen get it get it. Saitama's too dull to pull off much comedy or slice of life aside from overeacting to small things, underreacting to big things, and having bizarre social obstacles placed in his way.
"Bizarre social obstacles" is a big category, but the odd social aspects of the manga generally are comedy by way of allusion to real experiences in the life of the young underemployed Japanese man, which is ONE's situation prior to becoming a hotshot mangaka. A lot of them transfer well to non-Japanese men, which is why it's popular in lots of countries.
Oh. That... would explain a lot, actually. You're saying OPM is basically standard shonen haremshit, only instead of modeling the tedium of highschool it models the asininity of the workplace, and instead of the awesome main character being reluctantly dragged into greatness by fawning legions of fangirls which then slap the shit out of him, the awesome main character is being reluctantly dragged into officialized greatness by oddball coworkers which then think he's the strange one.

I didn't get Naxza's powertrip haremshit thing until now.

That's because its joke characters are its real characters and everyone, including the author, is aware of this. But, as I've mentioned, it feels like he wasn't brave enough to actually make a series with them, so he copped out and slapped a big PARODY label over it.
Dude, OPM is a series. This isn't some Scary Movie 4 one-off. The fact that it plays off of tropes and of things that other series do doesn't invalidate the series in other respects, nor is there some clear distinction between series which do this and series which are serious in their aim.
My impression was that it was subpar unless you were giving it the pass it was looking for by being subpar on purpose. If Saitama is bland and disinterested to let the viewers stand in for him, and the side characters faff around for a bit before Saitama solves all of their problems because power trip, and the series in general does what it does not because it's not brave enough to be something else but because that's how you be the thing it's trying to be, then that would indeed be an entirely different set of problems.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26357 on: February 15, 2016, 10:53:33 pm »

Bizarre social obstacles" is a big category, but the odd social aspects of the manga generally are comedy by way of allusion to real experiences in the life of the young underemployed Japanese man, which is ONE's situation prior to becoming a hotshot mangaka. A lot of them transfer well to non-Japanese men, which is why it's popular in lots of countries.
Oh. That... would explain a lot, actually. You're saying OPM is basically standard shonen haremshit, only instead of modeling the tedium of highschool it models the asininity of the workplace, and instead of the awesome main character being reluctantly dragged into greatness by fawning legions of fangirls which then slap the shit out of him, the awesome main character is being reluctantly dragged into officialized greatness by oddball coworkers which then think he's the strange one.
Yes, it mixes elements of seinen and shounen. And it does so very proficiently, keeping the best of each. At least in the opinions of its fans, of course.

My impression was that it was subpar unless you were giving it the pass it was looking for by being subpar on purpose. If Saitama is bland and disinterested to let the viewers stand in for him, and the side characters faff around for a bit before Saitama solves all of their problems because power trip, and the series in general does what it does not because it's not brave enough to be something else but because that's how you be the thing it's trying to be, then that would indeed be an entirely different set of problems.
I wouldn't really say it's a set of problems at all. It does what it tries to, and what it tries to do is popular. I would say that what it tries to do is quite good, and although I didn't find the anime to be that stand-out amazing either, I had already read the webcomic and manga before watching it. I also don't think that the part which has been adapted so far really is the best; while I can appreciate what it's going for, it does suffer a bit from lack of direction. It introduces us to characters, but Saitama is best as a foil, and the characters that he's a foil for are only barely introduced. The next season will bring King and Fubuki to prominence, and Garou's storyline will get things philosophical in a way that hopefully won't be lost in adaptation as much as some bits of the first season did.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26358 on: February 16, 2016, 01:47:51 am »

according to BD preorders,
There's also the reason some series are so popular on BD ... it's usually because they have uncensored extra titties and stuff. We don't know for sure, but it's possible that they're promoting KonoSuba this way. Given the focus on the girl Aqua's ass I wouldn't put it past this series to have a whole lotta extra fan service on the BDs.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 01:49:47 am by Reelya »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #26359 on: February 16, 2016, 02:00:20 am »

I saw Deadpool this weekend. That has well-done CGI. But nothing on an anime budget can afford to do CGI well.
O... kay? So anime-style is bad, realistic is good. Will bear that in mind.

There's also the reason some series are so popular on BD ... it's usually because they have uncensored extra titties and stuff. We don't know for sure, but it's possible that they're promoting KonoSuba this way. Given the focus on the girl Aqua's ass I wouldn't put it past this series to have a whole lotta extra fan service on the BDs.
Yeah that's true. It's hard to turn down bonus titties.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26360 on: February 16, 2016, 02:36:12 am »

You know...

At first the whole child prostitute angle animes used to go for used to be kind of new and interesting.

Now I think I am just plain tired by it. I don't think I really seen anything done with it beyond "It was bad"... Like you could replace it with them being hit as a child every week and have it work.

I am reminded of the child character in Ruoini Kenshin (spelt really incorrect and unfortunately the rule is "If you can't spell it, you can't find out how to spell it) where they actually used his harsh childhood to paint a very creepy yet pained character.

It managed to do what a lot of animes that use much worse childhood trauma... but not only do they not overblow it like say Evangeleon but they actually use it to develop the character behind broad strokes.

Sure Kenshin was boring most of the time (the arc I am referring to was actually good) and later became entirely insane (FENGSHUI WIZARD NINJAS!)... But I have to give it credit for using childhood trauma.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #26361 on: February 16, 2016, 02:50:14 am »

I am reminded of the child character in Ruoini Kenshin (spelt really incorrect and unfortunately the rule is "If you can't spell it, you can't find out how to spell it)

Google's correction algorithm is utterly amazing. I googled "Ruoini Kenshin" and it just sorta said "Showing results for Rurouni Kenshin" and showed me a bunch of stuff relating to it.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26362 on: February 16, 2016, 03:07:02 am »

O... kay? So anime-style is bad, realistic is good. Will bear that in mind.
For CG, "anime style" can be done well for robots and machines, but I have literally never seen it make humans into anything but uncanny valley beasts.

They're not doing that. Generally when something like that happens, it's just removal of censorship from the TV version. If this was that sort of series, there would be a lot of naked people with copious opaque mist or beams of light or whatever blocking key parts, and those would be removed on the BDs. KonoSuba doesn't really have anything like that. It has a short skirt, and some of the background adventurers also show a lot of skin I guess, but it really doesn't portray any of that sexually or emphasize it at all. It's not even drawn especially well; it's the same as everything else, not like if they were focusing any funding on sex appeal.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26363 on: February 16, 2016, 03:50:13 am »

it's the same as everything else, not like if they were focusing any funding on sex appeal.

Seriously? I screenshot the latest episode as a case in point...here's a completely "non-sexualized" shot of a girl in a short skirt. There are multiple shots like this per episode for this specific girl. Her bending over like this is almost her trademark. (NSFW)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 03:52:22 am by Reelya »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26364 on: February 16, 2016, 03:55:03 am »

And that's not even a well-drawn butt, that's the "Two Ham Shanks slapped together" style of butt-drawing.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26365 on: February 16, 2016, 03:57:25 am »

And that's not even a well-drawn butt, that's the "Two Ham Shanks slapped together" style of butt-drawing.

That is typical of the anime style though. They also draw boobs like they were balloons.

The boobs will also be freakishly shiny like a balloon as well.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #26366 on: February 16, 2016, 03:58:23 am »

i googled the name of the anime and an image in the first row in the image search was one of said butt shots

that's what we call a "warning sign", except it's not so much a sign as a butt klaxon of some sort

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #26367 on: February 16, 2016, 04:00:43 am »

That is typical of the anime style though. They also draw boobs like they were balloons.

The boobs will also be freakishly shiny like a balloon as well.
Gotta love that diffuse shading
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #26368 on: February 16, 2016, 04:11:27 am »

i googled the name of the anime and an image in the first row in the image search was one of said butt shots

that's what we call a "warning sign", except it's not so much a sign as a butt klaxon of some sort
Would a butt klaxon just be a long, drawn-out 'thrrrrp' for a good half minute or would it be a constant 'FRRT, FRRT, FRRT' trailing off as it went on?
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26369 on: February 16, 2016, 04:13:13 am »

May I add that Dragon ball had under age panty shots?
Pages: 1 ... 1756 1757 [1758] 1759 1760 ... 2193