Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1743 1744 [1745] 1746 1747 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3060894 times)

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #26160 on: January 28, 2016, 07:23:28 pm »

Uhh... was there a Lucky Star/Haruhi Suzumia crossover?  Because I found 2 dvds in my basement of "The Melancholy of Haruhi-chan Suzumia Nyorop Chuyuru-san" and the art style on the box is pretty much the same as Lucky Star's.
Where the hell did this come from?

Sounds like the start of a crappy creepypasta to me. Let us know how hyperrealistic the blood is when you start watching the thing. That's a dead giveaway that it's haunted you know.

Cthulufaic

• Bay Watcher
  • whats a touhou
    • View Profile
« Reply #26161 on: January 28, 2016, 07:25:39 pm »

Uhh... was there a Lucky Star/Haruhi Suzumia crossover?  Because I found 2 dvds in my basement of "The Melancholy of Haruhi-chan Suzumia Nyorop Chuyuru-san" and the art style on the box is pretty much the same as Lucky Star's.
Where the hell did this come from?

Sounds like the start of a crappy creepypasta to me. Let us know how hyperrealistic the blood is when you start watching the thing. That's a dead giveaway that it's haunted you know.
One of the cases is unopened, and I don't want to open it. ;_; 2spoopy4me

I'll check it out eventually, probably tomorrow.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26162 on: January 28, 2016, 07:28:25 pm »

I didn't really like the haruhi-chan one but I really like the Churuya-san one. Poor Churuya and her pathetic life.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #26163 on: January 28, 2016, 07:28:51 pm »

I watched the first couple of episodes of Mysterious Girlfriend X. And, uh. Right. This gets a Rank 1 out of sheer uniqueness.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26164 on: January 28, 2016, 07:35:34 pm »

I watched the first couple of episodes of Mysterious Girlfriend X. And, uh. Right. This gets a Rank 1 out of sheer uniqueness.

I really liked that show, it was clearly angling for the weird fetish crowd, but it achieved so much more.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26165 on: January 28, 2016, 07:51:42 pm »

"Weird Fetish" defines the company that produced that anime (Hoods Entertainment). They traditionally do borderline hentai-esque shows. They're basically the guys you go to to adapt your manga after every other studio's reps started vomiting when your described the source material. They were most well-known for Seikon no Qwaser. So that's probably the reason they ended up doing an anime involving characters who drink each other's drool.

After they did Mysterious Girlfriend X I think they started realizing they can make more money by doing less creepy stuff however, and now they do more mainstream ecchi shows.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 07:59:50 pm by Reelya »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26166 on: January 28, 2016, 08:25:48 pm »

Yeah I got squicked out by the fanservice. They're all what? 14, 15?
Japan has a thing about sexualising minors, if you watch much anime you should know this by now.
#YokoIs14
Yoko is 14 only by Littner's counting of time. By Jiha's, she's 18.
I was going to say. It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure that everyone was initially living underground in neobarb squalor and couldn't really into accurate timekeeping.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26167 on: January 30, 2016, 10:18:56 am »

Finished Kuroko no Basketball. But...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #26168 on: January 30, 2016, 06:24:25 pm »

It's FEF, not FEOF

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26169 on: January 30, 2016, 07:40:34 pm »

Well, I watched Evangelion 3.0 now, and liked the fact that it's really started to break out from the plot of the original series. The second movie did that a bit, but pretty much sticks to the stuff you'd expect. 3.0 felt more fresh because it's uncharted territory story-wise.

Then, I notice it's got much lower ratings than the previous movies. Reading reviews, people's main gripe seems to be that it diverged from the "known" storyline it's "meant" to have, and that things were confusing and not fully explained through character dialogue.

Confusing? Not explained? Unexpected shit happens? Oh no, how dare they have such things in an Evangelion movie!

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #26170 on: January 30, 2016, 07:56:52 pm »

I haven't seen it, but to my understanding the issue people have with it isn't only that it's confusing so much as the fact that it kills all the new plot threads that were set up in the first two movies people had become invested in unceremoniously thanks to the timeskip, and that most of the new plot threads introduced in it get barely any exploration or explanation in exchange for the Shinji and Kaworu piano hour, leaving the viewer with absolutely no understanding of what the state of the setting actually is anymore or what happened to anyone during the timeskip and whatever character development must have happened during it. Also more complaints about the face that Mari seems to exist just for fanservice and that the Evas leaving her and Asuka unable to age seems gratuitous and loses some opportunities.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 08:00:04 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26171 on: January 30, 2016, 09:01:35 pm »

Also more complaints about the face that Mari seems to exist just for fanservice and that the Evas leaving her and Asuka unable to age seems gratuitous and loses some opportunities.

Wow, they are pulling a Tekken.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26172 on: January 30, 2016, 09:10:04 pm »

I think the main problem with the plot threads set up in the first two movies is that they're largely indistinguishable from the plot threads in the TV show. But they probably realized this was a problem too late, and decided to just do a clean break with the third and fourth movies, rather than just rehash everything that came after it in the TV show. If they just ended up doing a complete remake of End of Evangelion, what would be the point of new movies at all? For that reason I'm glad they threw a wrench in the plot for movie three. Movies 1 and 2 just felt like a dull rehash of stuff I already saw, they don't leave you with any questions to ask.

And in fact "Mari = fanservice" was more a problem in the second movie than the third one. Bringing her in movie #2 was the only really new thing, but she doesn't actually have any backstory or plot threads attached whatsoever, she's just "there".
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 09:19:17 pm by Reelya »

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime
« Reply #26173 on: January 31, 2016, 03:20:04 am »

I don't think anybody expected End of Eva to be redone, especially since 2.0 zipped to Zereul so quickly and the way it ended. It's that the plot went off the rails in a way that seem to come out of nowhere even for Evangelion, and left a lot of people feeling trolled.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And then it became a double whammy because the events of trailer shown at the end of 2.0 hyped people up but wound up having all its events either not happen or instead occur during the timeskip, and according to what I've heard most of the stuff listed above wound up either not being followed up on or resolved offscreen, and like I mentioned earlier left people feeling cheated that not even the new plot lines got much elaboration on. Didn't help that the tone set by 2.0 was rather different from where things wound up actually going immediately after the events of its ending.

I mean it's Eva so trolling shouldn't be that unexpected, but from what people have been saying the majority of them feel it went too far and wound up losing their trust as opposed to being impressed *shrug*.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 07:42:27 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26174 on: January 31, 2016, 07:07:08 am »

The thing is... EVA is what happens when a hack writer stumbles into making a great plot... and getting lucky with symbolism fitting (Well debatable).
Pages: 1 ... 1743 1744 [1745] 1746 1747 ... 2193