Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1723 1724 [1725] 1726 1727 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3058797 times)

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #25860 on: January 06, 2016, 08:36:52 am »

Since Sailor Moon was mentioned on the previous page, I don't feel bad for bringing up something no one is talking about.

I've got a Netflix subscription. Not too long ago, I noticed something called Glitter Force. As my wife was really into Sailor Moon when she was younger, we watched the first episode. We then went and watched the first episode of Sailor Moon Crystal (close enough - we couldn't find anywhere to watch the original) because she said it was better and I suspected a healthy dose of Rose Tinted Goggle Syndrome.

I must say that, while I don't particularly care for either, I would prefer that any future children I may have watch Sailor Moon. I'll buy them pretty compacts and we'll be done with it. If they watch Glitter Force, the merchandise alone will classify our house as unfit for human occupation.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25861 on: January 06, 2016, 08:47:38 am »

Ah, had to look that up. Glitter Force is better known as Smile PreCure. PreCure/Pretty Cure is one of the most saccharine of all magical girl shows, and is one of those never-ending kids show types, with a full 49 eps/year for the last 13 years. That "glitter force" one is actually season 9 according to wikipedia. Yeah, I've watched about 5 minutes of PreCure and that was all I could cope with. Too sparkly 4 me. The only caveat is that while it does clearly have merch, I'm not sure how much of that merch is promoted outside Japan, so you might not really have a problem with that ;D

Original Sailor Moon is definitely the best option out of those three you mentioned, but it gets less kid friendly as it goes along (season 3's lesbians + season 5's space tranvestites with the "star gentle uterus" attack might raise questions in your kids, and season 4's magical ponies will just make you want to kill yourself).

One that I think would be great to show little kids however is Tiny Snow Fairy Sugar. It's one of those rare shows that's good for both kids + adults. Has pretty much universally good reviews which all make that same point, so I won't really say any more, just I recommend checking this out, even if you don't have kids.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 09:59:32 am by Reelya »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #25862 on: January 06, 2016, 09:46:24 am »

Glitter Force is better known as Smile PreCure.
This one confused me at first, because I did loosely recognize it and it was claiming to be a "Netflix Original." I'm a little disappointed they didn't go all Power Rangers with it by concocting an entirely new show out of the old show's resources.

PreCure/Pretty Cure is one of the most saccharine of all magical girl shows
I've been told there are punchier and sparklier seasons/incarnations, but I literally couldn't quite get past the opening of this one. It just screamed kid's show.

Started watching Seven Deadly Sins instead, dumb shonen fun. I wish I had more to say about it other than that and how there's, like, a leading part and ending part before and after the opening and ending song things, which is weird and faintly annoying. But most of my thoughts are either mild spoilers or not very interesting, so dumb shonen fun it is. I do like the world so far, at least, other than the usual shonen anime action media issue where average soldiers do not appear to serve a plausible function, other than I guess leveling into ultrasoldiers with super powers sometimes.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25863 on: January 06, 2016, 09:57:49 am »

Started watching Seven Deadly Sins instead, dumb shonen fun.

We marathoned that a while back. I wanted more dumb shonen fun and was pointed toward Magi, also a Netflix exclusive. It's a bit of a change from what I'm used to. Granted I'm not in the thick of anime news or anything but I'm unaware of any other Arabian-themed anime out there.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25864 on: January 06, 2016, 10:03:43 am »

Arslan Senki is set in an analogue of historical Persia (Iran). There's an old OVA version but the new TV version is a lot better (and covers all the same events). It doesn't have as much of a comedy aspect compared to those ones.

Akatsuki no Yona is also worth a look, which is like a gender-flipped Arslan Senki but set in somewhere like ancient China.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 10:09:50 am by Reelya »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #25865 on: January 06, 2016, 12:39:07 pm »

Started watching Seven Deadly Sins instead, dumb shonen fun. I wish I had more to say about it other than that and how there's, like, a leading part and ending part before and after the opening and ending song things, which is weird and faintly annoying. But most of my thoughts are either mild spoilers or not very interesting, so dumb shonen fun it is. I do like the world so far, at least, other than the usual shonen anime action media issue where average soldiers do not appear to serve a plausible function, other than I guess leveling into ultrasoldiers with super powers sometimes.
I like to think of them as being the Rookies to their fantasy X-Com.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25866 on: January 06, 2016, 01:43:38 pm »

I've been playing the hell out of Project Mirai DX 2 for the 3DS. I love that you can pick your favorite vocaloid and have them as a pet... a very idle pet that mostly just stares right back at you. It's not indepth, but it has it's cute moments, like how you can buy them an arcade cabinet and watch them rage quit video games. But yeah, you place them in a pseudo-apartment and furnish the place, and one of the things you can get is a tiny Road Roller, which has the description "Muda muda muda muda!" and my Jojo boner was very tickled, thank you Project Mirai. Also, at any point whatsoever, you can press the shoulder buttons together to take a picture of your captive vocaloid to satisfy the Otaku Buffalo Bill inside you. It puts the lotion on the skin Miku...

Oh yeah, and there's the actual gameplay portion, where a random grab bag of popular vocaloid songs are converted into Rhythm games, and that's fun. I was TEARING MY HAIR OUT for the first 10 hours or so, because it uses the entire YXAB game pad for buttons, and I'm still utterly spoiled by the Xbox controller which has YXAB as well... but the Y <> X and A <> B are flipped positions, so my muscle memory was just kicking my ass more than anything. Project Mirai had my back the entire time though, I just had to go into options and it allows me to convert the rhythm symbols into directional arrows, which my brain can actually grok rather just letting my fingers idly hit the wrong buttons and wonder why my score isn't going up.

The hard difficulty songs are where the real fun is at, some are easy enough, but others like 'Hello, how are you' properly simulates what it feels like to be cornered and beaten senseless by a song. 'Ageage Again'? You're gonna be doin it ageage again and again, bitch. Don't even look at Gaikotsu Gakudan to Riria, this was made for the true Rhythm Game savants, step aside mere mortal. You can also tap, but I'm thinking you'd have to full palm the 3DS touchpad in order to keep up with the 3 colors it forces you to juggle, and I'm just not ready for that commitment yet Mirai.

Otherwise all the songs are great, there are very elaborate and well-done little music videos to go along with all of them as well. Too bad they're often ignored because I'm focusing too hard on the little buttons. There's a theater mode though, if you want to watch them, and you can even mash buttons and make tons of random noises, like you're an actual one-man-band in the audience trying to drown out the Artists at a concert.

Oh, and there's reversi and Puyo Puyo Fever as well, which the computer will not hesitate to just whoop you ass in. Like, just fucking clobber you. You'll be crying yourself to sleep after this curbstomping, gawdayum. 10/10
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 10:27:17 pm by JoshuaFH »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25867 on: January 06, 2016, 02:19:29 pm »

Speaking of rhythm games, I came across mention of Sega's Space Channel 5 in this shitty Sega anime I was watching recently. Space Channel 5 is a alien shooter game, but a pretty unique one.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25868 on: January 06, 2016, 03:22:48 pm »

Started watching Seven Deadly Sins instead, dumb shonen fun.
It's absolutely that.
Have been watching Hunter X Hunter but as always it's deceptively dark.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25869 on: January 06, 2016, 05:15:03 pm »

...Well, can't hurt to PTW...
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #25870 on: January 06, 2016, 05:44:01 pm »

Seven Deadly Sins... oh, right, I need to get back to that. Yeah, "dumb shonen fun" is an excellent way to describe it.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #25871 on: January 08, 2016, 12:34:32 pm »

The thing I am looking most forward to, right now:

Garakowa -- Restore the world.
(Or "destroy"? It isn't clear. Both seem to happen.)

It'll be out on Crunchyroll in eight days. I'd go on to talk about it, but there isn't much to say except for what's in the trailers, so I'll just leave you to those~~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqEzP7EthYI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afIhxY3ST40
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wf8PA6DknX4
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 01:21:26 pm by Baughn »
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25872 on: January 08, 2016, 01:48:00 pm »

idk, the artwork is ok but I'm not really sold on it being a worthwhile film. Seen too many high-action clusterfuck anime movies to get too excited.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #25873 on: January 08, 2016, 01:51:13 pm »

It's the staffing that did it for me. The film was directed by Masashi Ishihama, who previously worked on Attack on Titan and Psycho-Pass 2, while Fumihiko Shimo of Kanon, Air and Clannad fame wrote the screenplay...

I'd find it very surprising if it isn't at least *good*, but nothing Fumihiko has worked on has been anything short of excellent. Definitely worth a try.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25874 on: January 08, 2016, 02:09:54 pm »

"nothing Fumihiko has worked on has been anything short of excellent". This sort of statement is always provably false for anyone with a decent pedigree in anime. Almost everyone makes shit fanservice anime because that's what pays your mortgage.

http://myanimelist.net/people/8067/Fumihiko_Shimo

- Amagi Brilliant Park
- Hidan no Aria AA
- Infinite Stratos
- Mikakunin de Shinkoukei
- Umineko no Naku Koro ni

None of these would really be considered very good shows, and 3 of these were in the last two years, so it's not like I'm delving deep into the guy's early works here or anything.

for the director, his only involvement in Attack on Titan was the second opening song, and his involvement in Psycho-Pass also seems limited to the opening credits. He's also worked on some unutterably bad shows, such as Eiken. His main selling point is that his only director credit is Shinsekai Yori, which was a great series, not the Attack on Titan or Psycho-Pass stuff, where his input was minimal at best.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 02:27:19 pm by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 1723 1724 [1725] 1726 1727 ... 2193