Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1721 1722 [1723] 1724 1725 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3059210 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #25830 on: January 04, 2016, 02:17:49 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

In non-spoiler related things I've just watched my way up through the movie of the K project anime. Definitely an awesome show, but I'm betting that the yaoi fangirls just love it with all the homoerotic undertones that they just love to press (and once or twice basically come out and say as straight as you would ever expect them to on TV three years ago). Also I'm slightly disappointed by the fact that despite the overabundance of bishonen I don't remember ever seeing a single sparkle. Ah well, maybe the newer serious that is currently airing will fix that. :P (Definitely a very fun show though, and there were at least a couple of times it got me to expect it to follow a trope only to flip things on their head and invert it).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25831 on: January 04, 2016, 05:09:48 am »

Going through a bunch of random OVAs I had downloaded, usually they turn out to be shit, but I just found one worth sharing: Tokyo Marble Chocolate. It's a romcom anime, two episodes long. I was expecting shit and got quality. Great artwork, some really funny moments, and the writing is really good: doesn't rely on your typical anime tropes instead of a story.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 05:17:51 am by Reelya »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25832 on: January 04, 2016, 11:00:08 am »

So yeah for those behind the times One Punch Man just wrapped up it's latest season, and I'd heartily Reccommend it to everyone who hates Shonen. Or likes Shonen. I dunno.

Just watched "Is it wrong to TTPUGIADungeon", which I liked as much as tower of Druaga, and was more consistent than SAO, if beaten out in some of the cooler parts.
If anyone knows any other dungeon crawler anime, please throw 'em at me.
They seem to be my jam.

Lastly, Gundam IBO is still making me happy. Possibly one of the better gundam storylines I've seen (not that I've seen many).

Edit: Joining the conversation for UBW/FSN/FZ- I was out as soon as they stopped using real heroes.
There was still absolute craploads to choose from. Seemed like a cop-out on a cool premise.
I could literally whip up a class list of heroes in 30 seconds. Western only, if they're so hungry for it.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 11:11:33 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25833 on: January 04, 2016, 12:09:15 pm »

Magi: The labyrinth of magic has parts built around the concept of dungeon crawling, but a lot of other plot arcs too.

Log Horizon, same deal. You'll get occasional dungeon crawls with the MMO mechanics.

Also, Record of Lodoss War. While it's not all set in dungeons, the story was based on a D&D campaign so has all the standard tolkienesque tropes going for it.

Ooh, I just discovered there's a 1991 anime OVA based on the "Wizardry" RPGs from the 1980's. The synopsis reads:
In a mystical land filled with magic and monsters, eager adventurers scour a ten-floor dungeon in search of fame and fortune – if they are able to escape with their lives! But none dare set foot in the tenth floor, as a powerful foe will make sure that they never return to the light of day: the evil Werdna, a wizard who stole an amulet of immense power. Now, to aid a beautiful woman, a group of skilled warriors must descend to the tenth floor to find the woman’s lost love, and to take back the amulet from the hands of evil!
You're not going to get a dungeon-delving anime any purer than that!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 12:21:59 pm by Reelya »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #25834 on: January 04, 2016, 06:29:31 pm »

Edit: Joining the conversation for UBW/FSN/FZ- I was out as soon as they stopped using real heroes.
There was still absolute craploads to choose from. Seemed like a cop-out on a cool premise.
I could literally whip up a class list of heroes in 30 seconds. Western only, if they're so hungry for it.
AFAIK the only non-"real" hero they used was Archer in stay night, and that was for plot reasons.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #25835 on: January 04, 2016, 09:20:51 pm »

Magi: The labyrinth of magic has parts built around the concept of dungeon crawling, but a lot of other plot arcs too.
I liked Magi, but the dungeon aspects seemed relatively minor.

Ooh, I just discovered there's a 1991 anime OVA based on the "Wizardry" RPGs from the 1980's. The synopsis reads:
In a mystical land filled with magic and monsters, eager adventurers scour a ten-floor dungeon in search of fame and fortune – if they are able to escape with their lives! But none dare set foot in the tenth floor, as a powerful foe will make sure that they never return to the light of day: the evil Werdna, a wizard who stole an amulet of immense power. Now, to aid a beautiful woman, a group of skilled warriors must descend to the tenth floor to find the woman’s lost love, and to take back the amulet from the hands of evil!
You're not going to get a dungeon-delving anime any purer than that!
Oooh.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #25836 on: January 04, 2016, 09:42:45 pm »

If you're alright with LNs, both Legend of the Moonlight Sculptor and Ark have some fairly involved dungeon crawling portions, and a fairly sizable adventure theme overall. Perhaps a bit too wuxia and cunning!hero to be a really standard play along those lines, but they're both pretty nice, imo.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25837 on: January 04, 2016, 10:29:02 pm »

I also liked Magi. Maybe I'll check out log horizon.

AFAIK the only non-"real" hero they used was Archer in stay night, and that was for plot reasons.
Real as in historical figures.
As in not mythological figures.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #25838 on: January 04, 2016, 10:41:37 pm »

Real as in historical figures.
As in not mythological figures.
Fate/Stay Night:
Lancer - Cú Chulainn - Mythological
Saber - Arturia Pendragon - Mythological
Archer - You Know Who - Neither
Rider - Medusa - Mythological
Berserker - Hercules - Mythological
Assassin - nameless samurai - Mythological/Neither
Caster - Medea - Mythological
Also feat. Gilgamesh - Mythological

So. Yeah. None of the Heroic Spirits in the core routes of the original VN were historical figures. It wouldn't be wrong to argue that figures like Jeanne d'Arc who are in the historical record as real people are markedly less normal than the ones who in the real world are either wholly or functionally mythological, as far as representation in the Grail Wars goes.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #25839 on: January 04, 2016, 10:45:05 pm »

... didn't they start off using primarily mythological figures? Like... right from the start?

Hell, my memory's shot at the moment and I haven't seen a great deal of the canon material, but the only three I can recall that were substantially historic figures were alex, nero (which, uh.), and maybe the assassin critters. I guess there were more (maybe the assassin dude with the bird thing?), but...

And ninja'd, but yeah. Getting out when they started mostly-avoiding historical figures would have meant never getting in to begin with :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #25840 on: January 04, 2016, 11:12:46 pm »

There were more historical folks in Zero, but still mostly mythological. Rider (Alexander the Great) and Caster (Gilles de Rais) are historical figures, and (possibly?) Lancer, who's some Irish dude I can't remember the details of. Probably the same category as Lancer in FSN.

Can't remember anything about Assassin beyond there being dozens of the bastards
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25841 on: January 04, 2016, 11:22:24 pm »

Well, Saber was based on someone who really lived (though only loosely resembles the legend):

« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 11:42:34 pm by Reelya »

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25842 on: January 04, 2016, 11:24:02 pm »

I recall that (transgender) Da Vinci was a hero in one of the VNs they released, so that's another historical figure. But they also had Astolfo (who merely dresses like a girl) which was one of the 12 mythicial paladins of Charlemagne. So... My guess is that the series creators pretty much pick whatever famous Western figures tickle their fancy, regardless of whether they're historical or not. And then anime-ify them to taste.

Isn't Saber female Nero or something like that? Or is my memory shot?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25843 on: January 04, 2016, 11:34:40 pm »

no, she is
Spoiler: massive Fate spoiler (click to show/hide)

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25844 on: January 04, 2016, 11:48:56 pm »

Huh. So who is Nero? I remember them being in the series somehow. Vaguely.
Pages: 1 ... 1721 1722 [1723] 1724 1725 ... 2193