Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1719 1720 [1721] 1722 1723 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3059468 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #25800 on: January 02, 2016, 04:36:42 am »

Also, I've mentioned this before, but I just started the second season of Unlimited Budget Works, and I still think that the show would be vastly improved if Shirou were hit by a bus, impaled, or something. Pretty sure I was told that I need to play the game to understand why he is the way he is, but gosh it just drives me crazy every time I watch. Rin for the Win. Also, I'm really hoping that this season doesn't turn into a
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

There is a law: It doesn't matter how justified something is, if it just gets on the nerves of its audience.

For example Sasuke from Naruto is perfectly justified in whining all the dang time, but it tires the audience.

A lot of the time excuses are just... well... excuses for making a better character. I've seen enough cheap characters in my lifetime thanks to my obsession with interesting/great premises instead of just seeking out commonly known great animes.

---

But more specifically if they couldn't fit in the scenes required to make you understand a character... they should have toned them down.
IIRC ufotable is making the anime for people who have played the VN, so lots of stuff is poorly/briefly explained. Shirou's character actually isn't terrible, it's just that he comes across as a total asswipe at first glance.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #25801 on: January 02, 2016, 05:39:51 am »

Alot of Shirou's character is in his internal monologue and mental snark. The things that don't get to be shown in animation. 

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25802 on: January 02, 2016, 05:54:13 am »

Foreign anime
We're reaching dangerous levels of meta

Oh, come on, everyone knows that Japan is part of the U.S.  :)
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #25803 on: January 02, 2016, 07:51:50 am »

Alot of Shirou's character is in his internal monologue and mental snark. The things that don't get to be shown in animation.
That, and his dialogue is easy to take out of context. Like the now-infamous line about how people are supposed to die when they're killed--folks just go LOL SO DUMB when it makes perfect sense in context.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25804 on: January 02, 2016, 08:00:09 am »

That, and it's also a wordplay on a Japanese idiom, which translates loosely as "he's so tough he wouldn't die if he was killed". Shirou's comment was negating that idiom: nobody's that tough. That's not something that's going to directly translate.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 08:03:38 am by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25805 on: January 02, 2016, 11:45:29 am »

Ok wow...

So Wixoss isn't over apparently. I mean I know "I" said that they hinted at a larger force at play but I thought they were going to leave that part of the plot open to interpretation.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #25806 on: January 02, 2016, 12:08:37 pm »

That, and it's also a wordplay on a Japanese idiom, which translates loosely as "he's so tough he wouldn't die if he was killed". Shirou's comment was negating that idiom: nobody's that tough. That's not something that's going to directly translate.
Oh yeah! I remember reading that somewhere now. Really, it's a shame how little of the wordplay and punnery can be accurately translated without paragraph-length notes.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25807 on: January 02, 2016, 05:28:23 pm »

Also, I've mentioned this before, but I just started the second season of Unlimited Budget Works, and I still think that the show would be vastly improved if Shirou were hit by a bus, impaled, or something. Pretty sure I was told that I need to play the game to understand why he is the way he is, but gosh it just drives me crazy every time I watch. Rin for the Win. Also, I'm really hoping that this season doesn't turn into a
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

There is a law: It doesn't matter how justified something is, if it just gets on the nerves of its audience.

For example Sasuke from Naruto is perfectly justified in whining all the dang time, but it tires the audience.

A lot of the time excuses are just... well... excuses for making a better character. I've seen enough cheap characters in my lifetime thanks to my obsession with interesting/great premises instead of just seeking out commonly known great animes.

---

But more specifically if they couldn't fit in the scenes required to make you understand a character... they should have toned them down.
IIRC ufotable is making the anime for people who have played the VN, so lots of stuff is poorly/briefly explained. Shirou's character actually isn't terrible, it's just that he comes across as a total asswipe at first glance.

I disagree, he IS terrible, and having to listen to all his internal monologues is even worse. (Especially his two page eyefucking of every female character whenever they come on screen; which is annoying for being boring as sin to read, over and over again, more than just for being sexist.)

Shirou is, by far, the least interesting and most aggravating character in the entire series, and this makes an otherwise intriguing (though badly established and inconsistent) setting painful to experience solely because the point of view is anchored to the most boring thing in a forty mile radius.

He's bad tempered, misogynistic, stupid, impulsive, and yet refuses to kill anyone in a to-the-death melee. The very fact that he doesn't get instantly off'ed by a Servant two seconds into every engagement is both insulting to the characters he is fighting (which are supposed to be legendary heroes that can slay armies and dragons, but can't handle a teenage boy with a rolled up newspaper), and completely devalues the entire setting. Shirou is the very example of an incompetent character that only succeeds because the plot decides that he must, despite all evidence to the contrary.

He is just barely above Shinji Ikari for the title of shittiest protagonist, who himself sits comfortably above Tatsuya Our Lord And Savior.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25808 on: January 02, 2016, 07:57:42 pm »

He was also at that point discarding an ability that allowed him to recover from fatal injuries.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25809 on: January 02, 2016, 08:15:29 pm »

Shirou is the single biggest reason for me why I haven't continued watching any of the Fate/Whatever series, excluding Fate/Zero. His suicidal tendencies and general lack of any form of... pride irritates me so much I stopped watching UBW from episodes 1-4
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25810 on: January 02, 2016, 08:42:08 pm »

To be fair both of those things are very much the "point" of his character.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #25811 on: January 02, 2016, 08:44:54 pm »

I actually found him tolerable in the UBW anime, but this comes with a caveat - I really like his development in that one more than I like him. He starts out pretty shitty but the lessons he learns over the course of it are ones I think are really good ones, even if they don't actually wind up making him particularly great as an overall character. He was a lot less awful about "I should protect you because you're a girl" (compared with the Studio Deen adaptation, anyway, but considering the plot of that route the adapters can't be entirely to blame), and in general just came off as extremely stupid in exactly the ways the plot insists that he is. But they never explain the magic item protecting him, if I remember correctly, which is something they needed to do considering how many times he should have died and was saved only by its miraculous intervention - without it, the part where it seems insulting to the people he's fighting is a pretty valid criticism. It's frustrating because they have foreshadowing for it, too.

He at least seems pretty willing to kill his final boss in UBW, though.

never did read the vn and never plan to, though
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #25812 on: January 02, 2016, 08:54:58 pm »

never did read the vn and never plan to, though
you're missing out

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #25813 on: January 02, 2016, 09:20:15 pm »

It's a Korean novel + Manhwa not an anime.
Easily one of the best video-game-thing type whatsits I'm aware of, as well. Just starting to check out some of the illustrated bits, but I've read through the translated parts of the novel... two or three times, now, though obviously it was at different lengths at the time, ha. Fun stuff. Definitely has a different feel to it, compared to most japanese based stuff of similar nature.

Anyone looking for something pretty similar might check out Ark. They're fairly distinct, but definitely running off more or less the same tropes.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25814 on: January 02, 2016, 10:30:27 pm »

if I remember correctly, which is something they needed to do considering how many times he should have died and was saved only by its miraculous intervention - without it, the part where it seems insulting to the people he's fighting is a pretty valid criticism.

It's not even just that; almost every fight Shirou engages in turns into sixty different ways of saying "Shirou parried desperately" and his opponent being surprised that he managed to knock their weapon away. Despite fighting against people who can swing so quick it becomes invisible to the human eye, can blow a hole through a wall with their bare hands or annihilate a tank with a single arrow, and literally have abilities such as "an unblockable attack that never misses and always kills the target".
Pages: 1 ... 1719 1720 [1721] 1722 1723 ... 2193