Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1717 1718 [1719] 1720 1721 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3060200 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #25770 on: January 01, 2016, 08:46:10 am »

That Kubo quote was great, thanks for sharing. I don't particularly like Bleach but the man himself is a trip.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25771 on: January 01, 2016, 12:06:43 pm »

Just took a look at the new season chart. Using myanimelist's new season chart system now. Here's my round up of good and bad series, skipping any obvious sequels. I might have missed a few but I skipped anything that sounds too average:

This would be my #1 pick for an interesting sounding show:
Boku dake ga Inai Machi
Spoiler: Synopsis (click to show/hide)

Ajin - because it's from a horror manga that looks like it might be interesting

Yami Shibai 3rd Season - season 2 lacked many good episodes, but it's still worth watching. Hope season 3 is as good as season 1. Horror short stories.

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu - because it's a josei drama one, they can be pretty good and are a lot different to the typical animes.

Nurse Witch Komugi-chan R - actually saw the OVA of this. It's retarded-level parody magical girl stuff. Should be dumb fun.

Teekyuu 7 - because Teekyuu is great and should never end. 2 minutes per episode, it trains you to read subtitles really fast.

Sushi Police - because WTF is that: "They will resort to any means necessary to eliminate bad sushi. Soon they are despised by restaurant proprietors around the world."

Ojisan to Marshmallow - "The series is about a man named Kusaka who has a fascination for marshmallows. Kusaka gets involved in a relationship with an office lady named Wakabayashi, and the story focuses on their relationship in the workplace."

Mahou Shoujo Nante Mou Ii Desukara. - she's a loli magical girl but her magical outfit is a swimsuit. That's the entire plot, I'm guessing she gets embarrassed a lot.

Active Raid: Kidou Kyoushuushitsu Dai Hakkei
Mecha, police, sci fi action. Anime original. Might be worth a shot.

Haruchika: Haruta to Chika wa Seishun Suru
And if cute schoolgirls playing brass instruments wasn't enough, now we have cute schoolgirls playing woodwind instruments! But there's a twist, if they don't wind the school woodwind competition, the school will get shut down. How original!

Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo!
The most "original" show of the season:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Luck & Logic
I'm noticing a trend here ...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25772 on: January 01, 2016, 12:32:53 pm »

Really appreciating the production values of Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood; somehow manages to remain interesting all across its episodes throughout. EP 40/65.

Then again, I do see the problem having shows as long as these from a production standpoint; shows like these take too long to reach the climax, and this is from a particular anime that doesn't have much (if any, at all) filler, meaning it's very risky considering people are randomly mass-producing anime from various light novels with questionable dialogue.

@Reelya's List

1. BokuMachi
- Have a bad feeling it will be a very short and woefully condensed 13 episoder.
2. Ajin
- Looks interesting indeed; but its short amount of chapters is worrying. I hear it's s'posed to be adapted into three anime films?
3. Shouwa Genroku
- Could be nice. Likely to be 13 episoder though.
4. Komugi
- . . .
5. Teekyuu 7
- No actual opinion. Not a fan of cute lolis doing sports.
6. Sushi Police
- Sounds interesting. WTF japan smoke i want some watchu huffin
7. Marshmallow Dad
- I've seen weirder premises. Might actually watch.
8. Mahoushoujo Bathing Suit
- Pedoshit I bet.
9. Active Raid: Kidou Kyoushuushitsu Dai Hakkei
- Hope they don't screw it up. Likely to be 13 episodes due to its format. The only 24 episoder i've last seen thats an anime original from recent memory is Kill la Kill. Either way, if it's 13 episodes it would likely screw with the pacing, leading to plot holes as big as Angel Beats and Charlotte.
10. More cute girls doing Woodwind Tubes
- See title.
11. Kono Suubarashi Yuu Kamiya Desu
- Oh, where have I heard of this before...
12. Luck and Logic
- More random chosen-one teenagers involved in fights that concern awkward terminologies against unspectacular aliums.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25773 on: January 01, 2016, 12:44:20 pm »

You got Teekyu wrong. The running joke is that they never do the activity the show is about, and it lacks any typical slice of life moments. The episodes are 2 minute long and they manage to cram an entire storyline into each ep. It's always some insane unpredictable shit basically. So, no sports and no club activities / cute moments.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 12:55:54 pm by Reelya »

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25774 on: January 01, 2016, 12:54:42 pm »

Well, I really haven't seen Teekyuu anyway, and due to its cover art, not willing to give it some form of chance. I might watch it during my irony phases, but the way it's presented atm... well...

Now, for some of the interesting Anime on Anicharts for Winter Season 2016,

1. Hai to Gensou no Grimgar
I haven't read the light novel, but the synopsis sounds interesting. Guy and some other of his party members band with each other under a common cause of trying to discover where they exactly are because they've been swallowed by some darkness and transported to another world, methinks. A story of survival in an unknown world.

2. PSO2: The Animation
Mostly because I used to play PSO2, but more likely I'm interested in it because of this trailer, which is balls off the wall outside its fucking sanity, and an absolute aberration to the themes the game used to uphold. I'm waiting until I can see the entire animation just to see how another anime about worlds will fare. Especially when said anime is taking the school life day play game night virtual reality route that will most likely leak into the real world approach. Eugh.

3. Muv Luv Schwarzesmarken
More edgy despair robot-to-alien action. Mmm.

4. Ojiisan to Marshmallow
I'm keeping an eye on you...

5. Sushi Police
Again... I want to smell what you're smellin, Japan.

6. Oshiete! Gyaruko-chan
Stereotypes! Well... how the frick does Japan turn everything into an anthropomorphication of whatever they used to stand for? Well, since it's an anime of person stereotypes, I don't see how this can go wrong... It's on my irony list.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25775 on: January 01, 2016, 01:11:49 pm »

Hai to Gensou no Grimgar, what's interesting about the premise exactly:

"the world that awaited them seemed like something out of a video game" is the entire semantic content of the first paragraph after stripping the bullshit about the "darkness". "In order to survive, Haruhiro forms a party with the others, learns fighting skills, and as a soldier in the reserve force, takes his first steps into the world of Grimgar". So, it's a bland series about a world that's like a game, based on some light novel. Sounds like a knock off of all the other knock offs out there.

Chopping all the crud that conveys exactly nothing about the premise works wonders for getting to the point.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 01:14:29 pm by Reelya »

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25776 on: January 01, 2016, 01:13:58 pm »

Yeah, it's one of those reincarnation whatever mah'shitties again, but assuming it does not take place in a video game world and that was used as a hyperbole (hoping to god) then it might take off.

Otherwise, if it's an online game they all used to play, well we're fucked and I'm off to dump that to the shit list.

Speaking of which... I might as well try to locate the manga to confirm my fears.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25777 on: January 01, 2016, 01:14:36 pm »

I think only .Hack really tried to make what living in a MMO would be like or the whole MMO culture... without it turning into a different anime.

With characters turning out to be entirely different people when they were brought to his side... roleplayers... and such.

It is unfortunately the most talky anime of all time... so it can be hard to watch sometimes.

I still love BT :P
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 01:18:48 pm by Neonivek »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25778 on: January 01, 2016, 01:18:40 pm »

A review for the Grimgar novel pointed out that the first novel was pretty good, but it lacked one thing: a point. It has the party thing and the character interactions going, but they don't seem to have any specific objective. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it's sort of a bad sign if you haven't seen any point to the story after finishing a whole volume. Sort of implies the author is making it up as he goes along.

BTW, I do really recommend the Teekyuu anime, it's by far the best of the sub 3-minute animes out there. Basically because it's fast, funny and extremely unpredictable, and it relies on it's own brand of humor rather than being comparable to any other show. You don't have to watch the seasons in any particular order either, so you can catch the airing ones.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 01:23:28 pm by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25779 on: January 01, 2016, 01:22:37 pm »

Wow a good 3 minute show? O_O

Usually they feel like "We can't afford a real show"

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25780 on: January 01, 2016, 01:24:05 pm »

The premise itself allows a lot of worldbuilding... wait, where have I heard of this before?

Well... Let's hope it stays alright, because I'm starting to dislike some of the terminologies used in the manga, referring to certain abilities ala MMO. Do like how everyone starts a frakking loser and how the world doesn't seem to be some kind of online game, but that's just simply an effect of the premise given; nothing special.

Premise being everyone only remembers their name and are frakking losers at combat and must learn shit up.

...I must be the only one who views most reincarnation-based material as a plus, here. The more I think of it, the more of a tired horse it becomes.

PS: Need a good horror that isn't all jumpscares and horribly ill-animated gore-ror. (i.e Another, et al, masquerading as "horror". Man, they really screwed up Another.)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25781 on: January 01, 2016, 01:25:30 pm »

Teekyuu have perfected the formula for their 2-minute show. It wouldn't work if they made it longer.

It's not like other short shows, it's not like 1 scene out of a 20 minute anime, it's what a normal show would fill 25 minutes with, crammed into 2 minutes, including the opening song.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 01:39:56 pm by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25782 on: January 01, 2016, 01:25:58 pm »

Your giving me Dungeon Flashbacks

Where the start was actually a really great "What if the world was some sort of Dungeon Crawl game?" and it ends up being a plain old harem anime.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25783 on: January 01, 2016, 01:27:12 pm »

Teekyuu have perfected the formula for their 2-minute show. It wouldn't work if they made it longer.
Can't blame 'em. +tic Neesan worked just well with the same format. If it's a Gag Anime that emphasizes on rapid fire laughters, well that's one of the best things you could gun for instead of trying to set up a 24 minute joke. Or something.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25784 on: January 01, 2016, 02:22:07 pm »

Wow, I discovered something new about Teekyu just now. If you look at the staff credits you can see there's one guy who's job is "Director, Sound Director, Episode Director, Script, Storyboard, Character Design, In-Between Animation, Key Animation" and the only other staff on the anime are the voice actors / song performers. He's directed some mainstream series as well, and there are some pretty popular seiyuu in his show such as Hana Kanazawa. So he's literally one dude making an anime with his harem of cute voice actresses :/
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 02:32:22 pm by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 1717 1718 [1719] 1720 1721 ... 2193