Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1713 1714 [1715] 1716 1717 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3060657 times)

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #25710 on: December 29, 2015, 10:23:52 am »

I kind of like that the protag of To Love Ru isn't completely hopeless.  Aggravating as hell on occasion, but actually an okay character most of the time.  The way he's handled some of the threats that have been thrown his way has been fairly convincing, but the way he handles his love life is pathetic and really smacks of a stupid high-schooler who's hung up on his 'perfect' girl and ignores the one right next to him.  But the show knows damn well what it is, and doesn't pretend to be anything else, it's selling T&A, and that's all there is too it.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #25711 on: December 29, 2015, 12:05:22 pm »

I think it ramps up as it goes, although it always had more nudity than shows such as Rosario to Vampire right from the start.
Yeah, it continues to get more and more prevalent till the end of the first season, then the sequel show takes everything to a whole new level of fanservice (to the point that if you were watching the live version instead of the later released one you'd think you were watching a fireworks show with all the brightly colored censor lines filling the screen), and then continues to ramp up from there. That said it still doesn't come quite in line with the source manga, which started out with more, then also took another level of fanservice with the advent of TLR:Darkness. Let's just say that the Darkness writer and illustrator each take great joy in seeing just how close they can come to violating the Japanese censorship laws (there have actually been several petitions by various groups to get the work reclassified as hentai) and the manga illustrator has become very, very good at using tiny hidden reflections to show that, no, he isn't using the Barbie Doll Anatomy Trope like many anime/manga do, his characters actually have stuff down below. You can bet that in Darkness for just about any prominently censored scene he's stuck a reflection of the goods hidden on a semi-reflective surface somewhere.

I kind of like that the protag of To Love Ru isn't completely hopeless.  Aggravating as hell on occasion, but actually an okay character most of the time.  The way he's handled some of the threats that have been thrown his way has been fairly convincing, but the way he handles his love life is pathetic and really smacks of a stupid high-schooler who's hung up on his 'perfect' girl and ignores the one right next to him.  But the show knows damn well what it is, and doesn't pretend to be anything else, it's selling T&A, and that's all there is too it.
Or the 15 next to him by the current point in the manga. :P

In short, if you'd like to see (for reasons of your own, of course ;)) Just how close an ecchi fanservice series can get to being hentai then feel free to read/watch the whole thing. If you like wacky harem comedy, but don't like fanservice out the yin-yang, just watch the first series; don't go on to TLR:Darkness. And if you're the type of person who dislikes anything but the most subtle of fanservice, then don't go near either of the titles with a 10 foot stick, the main character is the embodiment of the Accidental Pervert trope, to the point that even the in-story characters lampshade how ridiculous simple things like him falling over can become.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25712 on: December 29, 2015, 01:37:21 pm »

Yeah, that trope is basically how the entire main plot kicks off.
And he doesn't even have to fall over. Another running gag is how little he actually has to do to get accused, e.g. seeing Yami standing in some high place then being beaten up for seeing her pantsu. Having said that, another thing that makes the show more tolerable is that none of the main love interests are tsunderes or beat the hero up. There are those characters but they're side characters, not girls Rito is expected to fall in love with. The main girls in contention do actually care about his well being and don't (intentionally) inflict any harm on him. So, the people he likes are at least likable so you could see the appeal.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 01:54:43 pm by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25713 on: December 29, 2015, 01:57:56 pm »

Ever feel like people in anime are more excitable then normal people a lot of the time?

"OHH gawd! She shot a laser!"
"Everyone can..."
"Yeah but hers was special"

Watching "No Game No Life" for a moment (Interesting description lets see if this wins me anything)... and immediately in the opening the reactions to them being good at videogames is basically calling them demons.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #25714 on: December 29, 2015, 03:51:23 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Re-watching Bucket Killer: Glasses-Chan again.

One might say it's.... buckets of fun.

It's so sad this series had to kick the bucket.

It was probably pressure from above and Kanata No Kyoukai just couldn't buck-it.

*tomatoes*
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #25715 on: December 29, 2015, 05:05:23 pm »

*snrk*

I'm actually kinda glad that Kyoukai no Kanata didn't get a second season. It probably would have been shit, and that would suck. Kinda like what happened to Chuunibyou.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25716 on: December 29, 2015, 07:46:08 pm »

Taking a break from all your moe animu sillyness, the teaser for the new berserk anime project is out, and it looks pretty great :v
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25717 on: December 29, 2015, 09:58:55 pm »

So...

I think I found the biggest example of "Informed Flaw" In anime.

In "No Game No Life" both main characters are outright called Anthropophobic which means they have extreme social anxiety, a rather huge disability all things considered and frankly completely debilitating.

Yet no, it is actually an outright lie. They are closer to loners who just don't like talking to other people and prefer to spend their time alone with minimal contact. They aren't even socially inept, they can turn on the charm when they want to but frankly don't care.

I do like the premise though so far. I hope it is good! though the creepy sexual vibe is, unnervingly creepy.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 10:00:48 pm by Neonivek »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25718 on: December 29, 2015, 10:32:54 pm »

It has it's own little formulas / rituals of creepiness. Such as every time they win a major game, Sora gains either an adoring loli or an adoring big-busted vixen, then they have a soapy loli bath time scene where the new loli gets soaped up by the other lolis. And all the "steph gets humilated in some sexual way" episodes. Entire episodes which are only about that in a 12 episode show.

The other problem with the story is that it is very linear. "Blank never loses" makes it predictable that they'll win every game in some ass-pull bullshit way. And really, not all the games' explanations even make sense. The big final game of the TV series show the author is already running out of good ideas. The shiratori game was the only notably clever one. And they get noticeably less about clever ideas and more about complete asspull deus-ex-machina even before the first season finishes, and that's only the first two race pieces out of 16 in the series.

and the nature of games means you get a game, then a comic interlude, then the next game, ad infinitum. There's also the problem that Sora is collecting "race pieces" (16 chess pieces). and the metaphysical rules of the world literally preclude any events that happen outside of that process. So you can see an overall very boring a predictable arc for the entire novel series based on what you got so far: (1) Sora wins some incidental game. Then loli bath time. Sora wins a race piece, and gains another loli. Then loli bath time. Go back to step 1 and repeat 16 times. This is the series' worst flaw.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 10:47:39 pm by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25719 on: December 29, 2015, 11:00:17 pm »

The odd things are the stuff that moot the games sometimes feeling EXTREMELY random.

For example at one point he sticks out his tongue... apparently that counts as crossing his fingers (which is somehow legal)... Yet earlier he said he would win using only paper which also could have been construed as a condition.

Then the "Small favor" is "Fall in love with me"... And they even state this favor could have been all her possessions. So the fact that it is "small" or "Just a favor" is kind of odd.

Then at another point a person "returns" an object they won to the loser... and apparently this will count as the loser "cheating". In spite of the fact that one of the tenants of owning something is the ability to give it to whoever you want to including giving it back.

For a world that is "Rules Lawyer" the rules are very vague and flimsy where even established and clear rules are somehow unclear. I mean Liar game had a lot of cheating but not only was it intentional but they were still rather strict about their rules even down to overturning some villain's plans because their idea of how to cheat wasn't accurate, the cheating is woven into the fabric of the game and is sort of the point. You never thought the main character was pulling things out of his butt and, if you were smart enough, you could even guess the strategy employed (My recommendation is the Live action Liar games from Japan or Korea... the Korea one is kind of... artistically superior. Yet I am more fond of the Japanese one for being more upbeat and melodramatic)

This? It feels like they are making it up as they go.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 11:26:00 pm by Neonivek »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #25720 on: December 30, 2015, 12:06:23 am »

NGNL is pretty bad, yeah. Basically no reason to watch it unless you can put up with a boring story and like loli bath time.

I would recommend the shiritori game, because that was actually pretty awesome. Just find the clip on Youtube or whatever though - don't actually watch the whole series up to that point unless you really want to. You're not missing anything.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #25721 on: December 30, 2015, 12:56:59 am »

The odd things are the stuff that moot the games sometimes feeling EXTREMELY random.

For example at one point he sticks out his tongue... apparently that counts as crossing his fingers (which is somehow legal)... Yet earlier he said he would win using only paper which also could have been construed as a condition.

Then the "Small favor" is "Fall in love with me"... And they even state this favor could have been all her possessions. So the fact that it is "small" or "Just a favor" is kind of odd.

Then at another point a person "returns" an object they won to the loser... and apparently this will count as the loser "cheating". In spite of the fact that one of the tenants of owning something is the ability to give it to whoever you want to including giving it back.

For a world that is "Rules Lawyer" the rules are very vague and flimsy where even established and clear rules are somehow unclear. I mean Liar game had a lot of cheating but not only was it intentional but they were still rather strict about their rules even down to overturning some villain's plans because their idea of how to cheat wasn't accurate, the cheating is woven into the fabric of the game and is sort of the point. You never thought the main character was pulling things out of his butt and, if you were smart enough, you could even guess the strategy employed (My recommendation is the Live action Liar games from Japan or Korea... the Korea one is kind of... artistically superior. Yet I am more fond of the Japanese one for being more upbeat and melodramatic)

This? It feels like they are making it up as they go.
Liar Game was awesome. I couldn't find the last episode though, of the "smuggler game" with psychic Mc-albino, which is disappointing.

But Akiyama is probably the most legitimately smart person in anything I've read or watched. None of his plans are asspulls, none of his plans depend on his opponents ingesting the idiot ball, and all of his plans end not only with him winning but him dragging Nao out by her ass.

Though I liked seeing Nao try to get crafty in the resurrection game. She even managed to surprise Akiyama, which is pretty impressive.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25722 on: December 30, 2015, 01:00:50 am »

The last episodes are easy to find if you know what your looking for.

Mostly because the first one is the special (not sure if that will find it for you) and the last one is the movie.

---

A huge part is also that a lot of Akiyama's plans rely heavily on Nao

Quite a few would be impossible if it wasn't for her. As they need either her trustworthiness or naiveté

There is a LOT of hidden meanings that the show heavily implies but never says that I love. For example: "Why are all the games set up specifically to allow cheating?"

---

I cannot recommend the Korean one more for those who watched Liars game (or read the manga) enough. It takes an entirely different take on the material... in fact intentionally so with the intent of even surprising long term fans.

It is a sort of look into both reality television and the debt society of the country.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 01:11:29 am by Neonivek »

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #25723 on: December 30, 2015, 03:25:50 am »

Spoiler: I'm sorry (click to show/hide)
It's FEF, not FEOF

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #25724 on: December 30, 2015, 03:31:07 am »

I think I'm gonna go post in the sad thread now.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.
Pages: 1 ... 1713 1714 [1715] 1716 1717 ... 2193