Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1710 1711 [1712] 1713 1714 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3059354 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #25665 on: December 22, 2015, 08:08:33 pm »

kind of dusty in here

So I finished the first arc of Knights of Sidonia. I feel like my best explanation for it is "a cross between Attack on Titan and a harem anime, set in space with giant mecha."
cough cough

The only thing to mention when Knights of Sidonia is stated to be like a twist on Attack on Titan is that KoS is a few years older as a series. Just mentioning that so we don't get the idea that it's some sort of clone.
cough cough cough

My money is on Macross Frontier as an influence on KoS, what with a deep-space colony ship attacked by mysterious bio-mechanical aliens and the humans experimenting on the aliens to make bio-weapons. Frontier aired the year before Sidonia started serializing so the dates work out.
couuuughoughguhgoughgough

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #25666 on: December 22, 2015, 08:12:45 pm »

Heh, my best explanation for KoS is: This is why animu characters have wild and colorful hair.
Watched a few episodes, that pink-haired clone batch was creeping me out.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #25667 on: December 22, 2015, 08:58:18 pm »

Heh, my best explanation for KoS is: This is why animu characters have wild and colorful hair.
Watched a few episodes, that pink-haired clone batch was creeping me out.
Yeah, but at least you could tell who she was at a glance.  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25668 on: December 22, 2015, 09:10:43 pm »

I watched two episodes of KoS before dropping it. I ended up watching Shiki instead (which I liked quite a lot). I heard good things about KoS, but it hit a bunch of peeves that I didn't even know I had.
Spoiler: for example (click to show/hide)

(I haven't watched very much anime.)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #25669 on: December 22, 2015, 10:16:39 pm »

Don't feel bad, KoS is kinda weird and not particularly extraordinary in any sense except the display of why CGI isn't necessarily good.

3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25670 on: December 22, 2015, 11:17:48 pm »

I never realized how much Prince of Tennis took from Aim for the Ace until now.

I'd compare but honestly they don't feel the same, even if they share a lot of the same plot elements (beyond Tennis of course)

I do wish the main character of Aim for the Ace had a shred of emotional fortitude... I know I get tired of heroes who cannot possibly be stirred but I don't quite want the opposite where a character will suffer a break down after every single thing (and no... I am not exaggerating, it is as bad as I make it seem).
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 11:22:40 pm by Neonivek »

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25671 on: December 23, 2015, 01:44:39 am »

Knights of Sidonia is, as said, Macross Frontier with more of the crap trimmed off and infused with a MuvLuv cast. You can clearly see the influence, it's bright as starlight.

Don't feel bad, KoS is kinda weird and not particularly extraordinary in any sense except the display of why CGI isn't necessarily good.

For the most part I'll agree, but some scenes they did pull off really well.
The problems are mostly in the scenes between human characters talking, but honestly I'd rather have full CGI than a 2D show with 3D shoddily shoved in here and there to create an artistic clash. (A perfect example of this is the terrible Kantai Collection anime.)

I watched two episodes of KoS before dropping it. I ended up watching Shiki instead (which I liked quite a lot). I heard good things about KoS, but it hit a bunch of peeves that I didn't even know I had.
Spoiler: for example (click to show/hide)

(I haven't watched very much anime.)

They do explain why they use lances, it's somewhat understandable.
Beyond that;

I think the thing I liked about Knights of Sidonia (and why I stuck with it) was the unusual bend it takes towards the direction of a hard sci-fi series instead of being pure space fantasy bullshit.
Obviously it's not a true hard sci-fi series, but at the least it makes attempts, and that puts it up above a lot of the other dross that comes out.

Still have a bunch of problems with it regardless, but that's a whole different affair.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #25672 on: December 23, 2015, 02:02:43 am »

Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #25673 on: December 23, 2015, 03:58:41 am »

Oh, yes, the slightly firmer grounding was a welcome change... it just couldn't carry the series, IMO.

3. Run Resize Enable

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25674 on: December 23, 2015, 04:52:24 am »

The only thing to mention when Knights of Sidonia is stated to be like a twist on Attack on Titan is that KoS is a few years older as a series. Just mentioning that so we don't get the idea that it's some sort of clone.
cough cough cough

Yeah, you're right my google-fu failed me there somehow, KoS was 6 months  before Titan, not years. But it's still older, so the point stands. It's not influenced by Attack on Titan. It has many more direct similarities to Macross Frontier as well. Space Colony, Mecha Pilots, Aliens etc. Castles and Giants might have similar themes, but it's a different genre.

AlleeCat's description is a valid enough description for someone who has seen Titan, without getting into spoilers.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 05:14:24 am by Reelya »

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #25675 on: December 25, 2015, 03:05:08 am »

GUNDAM THUNDERBOLT EPISODE 1 IS OUT FOR FREE UNTIL JANUARY 7TH.

That mook horror show scene was magnificent.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25676 on: December 25, 2015, 08:03:54 am »

Catching up shows I put on hold, and got to Young Black Jack. Goddamn, is this writer sucking up to the Americans about Vietnam.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
In other words, complete load of bullshit that whitewashes all problems with the American conduct and blames all the stuff done by Americans that's extremely well documented on the Vietnamese.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 10:14:08 am by Reelya »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25677 on: December 25, 2015, 09:35:55 am »

Yeah, you're right my google-fu failed me there somehow, KoS was 6 months  before Titan, not years. But it's still older, so the point stands. It's not influenced by Attack on Titan. It has many more direct similarities to Macross Frontier as well. Space Colony, Mecha Pilots, Aliens etc. Castles and Giants might have similar themes, but it's a different genre.

AlleeCat's description is a valid enough description for someone who has seen Titan, without getting into spoilers.
I think the point is more that we know AoT is based on Muv Luv Alternative.  I don't know about KoS.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25678 on: December 25, 2015, 10:15:51 am »

Yeah my point was more of a lack of connection rather than a specific connection. The similarities are pretty common stuff.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #25679 on: December 25, 2015, 10:22:48 am »

Catching up shows I put on hold, and got to Young Black Jack. Goddamn, is this writer sucking up to the Americans about Vietnam.
Best Allies gotta stick together on filthy slander regarding questionable military activities in Asia.

Plus weird political stuff occasionally shoehorned into the series would complete the Franken Fran comparison. Dude really did not like whaling protesters.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.
Pages: 1 ... 1710 1711 [1712] 1713 1714 ... 2193