Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1698 1699 [1700] 1701 1702 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3057927 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #25485 on: November 28, 2015, 10:15:11 pm »

Pollyanna was more interesting for me because she is MADE of Shonen protagonist. I wanted to see what the country that loves its hopelessly gleeful characters did with this character.

and instead I got a very faithful and very well done anime >_<

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25486 on: November 29, 2015, 12:11:56 am »

They don't usually butcher literature when it gets adapted. For example, I'm pretty sure the Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn adaptations don't have them battling any robot vampires.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #25487 on: November 29, 2015, 12:25:22 am »

Nor did the Count of Monte Cristo have giant robots duking it out while the General went for broke and launched a full coup against the government.  Or Romeo and Juliet where the Montagues were oppressive and upstart dictators on a floating island and the Capulets an extirpated noble line in the vein of the classic "true king fallen."  Or A Little Princess where they fly space mecha against a hostile empire, and Sara must fight a literally fratricidal war against her own brother, the traitor and defector. 

Sorry, sorry, I know what you mean, the time frame on all of these was very different (2000s) from the golden age of those works listed (early 1980s), and all of these examples were more "reimaginings" than "adaptions."  I just couldn't resist. :P

EDIT: Corrected the Little Princess example.  It's been almost a decade since I watched it, so I was a bit fuzzy on the details.  Especially the spoiler-laden ones.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 12:28:53 am by Culise »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #25488 on: November 29, 2015, 12:40:09 am »

I really want to see an anime adaptation of the Count of Monte Cristo with humongous mechas now.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25489 on: November 29, 2015, 12:45:11 am »

Well, Gankutsuo (2004) is a science fiction reimagining of the Count of Monte Christo.

Looking through the World Masterpiece Theater animes, I saw that they adapted Little Women the year after they did Pollyanna. I'm pretty sure that's a sci-fi lesbian magical girl version of Little Women.

Seriously though, they adapted Les Misérables in 2007. That's pretty cool.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 12:57:44 am by Reelya »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #25490 on: November 29, 2015, 12:51:53 am »

I get the feeling you're actually just an infinite compendium of knowledge.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25491 on: November 29, 2015, 01:09:50 am »

Hah, I feel proud for knowing that. Need to watch that once I'm done with LOTGH[Only ~90 episodes left~!] I swear I've heard something about there being Harry Potter anime somewhere too.

So, based on some recommendations from this thread, I've been watching Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

Spoiler: Long rant (click to show/hide)

TL;DR, writing & animation are vaguely disappointing, but I'm still hopeful. I'm barely even 10% of the way through, things'll probably get better.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #25492 on: November 29, 2015, 01:21:19 am »

I really want to see an anime adaptation of the Count of Monte Cristo with humongous mechas now.
First one is, as Reelya noted, Gankutsuou.  Second one is Romeo x Juliet.  Third one is Soukou no Strain, alternately Str.A.In: Strategic Armored Infantry.  Two of these three are Gonzo; they also did Samurai 7, which is the Seven Samurai, but I decided that Frances Hodgson Burnett was about as recent as I wanted to go for the joke.  Plus, I never actually did get around to watching that one. ^_^
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 01:25:27 am by Culise »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25493 on: November 29, 2015, 02:27:28 am »

Well if we're getting into things that are influenced by other things, then clearly Hellsing = Bram Stoker and Strike Witches is the Battle of Britain. Both these were also Gonzo. (the first Hellsing anime)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 02:33:13 am by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25494 on: November 29, 2015, 03:08:29 am »

Having watched their Pollyanna anime...

Nope World Masterpiece Theater is quite true to the source material all things considered. So you won't get any oddities like Little Women suddenly brandishing Katanas to take down Alien Demon Nobunaga.

As awesome as those animes SOMETIMES are.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25495 on: November 29, 2015, 02:29:46 pm »

Gankutsuou is interesting in how it decides to adapt the source material.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Plus, perma-rave future-France is a cool take on the future, combining the decadence of Europe during the 19th century with the possibilities of sci-fi technology and how rich people would use it for frivolous bullshit.

The mecha fights were dumb, though.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25496 on: November 29, 2015, 02:58:45 pm »

The style of the show is FABULOUS tho, with alot of clothing having a surreal design to them, and it actually was close enough to the book that I was able to pass a literature test on it in Highschool from just watching the show.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25497 on: November 29, 2015, 02:59:59 pm »

The style of the show is FABULOUS tho, with alot of clothing having a surreal design to them, and it actually was close enough to the book that I was able to pass a literature test on it in Highschool from just watching the show.

Yeah when you spoke about mecha the teacher just thought you were being creative.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #25498 on: November 29, 2015, 03:54:48 pm »

Gankutsuou is interesting in how it decides to adapt the source material.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Plus, perma-rave future-France is a cool take on the future, combining the decadence of Europe during the 19th century with the possibilities of sci-fi technology and how rich people would use it for frivolous bullshit.

The mecha fights were dumb, though.
You might enjoy the book Chasm City by Alastair Reynolds, which takes place in a future city some time after a cataclysmic event destroyed all nanotech. Still a lot of rich people BS though.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Mattk50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25499 on: November 30, 2015, 01:11:38 pm »

Hah, I feel proud for knowing that. Need to watch that once I'm done with LOTGH[Only ~90 episodes left~!] I swear I've heard something about there being Harry Potter anime somewhere too.

So, based on some recommendations from this thread, I've been watching Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

Spoiler: Long rant (click to show/hide)

TL;DR, writing & animation are vaguely disappointing, but I'm still hopeful. I'm barely even 10% of the way through, things'll probably get better.
Spoiler: the sides (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 1698 1699 [1700] 1701 1702 ... 2193