Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1696 1697 [1698] 1699 1700 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3057748 times)

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #25455 on: November 27, 2015, 09:49:57 pm »

I keep reading Black Jack as Jack Black and Young Black Jack as Young Jack Black.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25456 on: November 28, 2015, 01:54:00 am »

I kind of like to watch Anime's takes on western books and themes.

Mind you this is because "I know" the themes involved and like to see it in a new way.

Yet there seems to be three adaption types
1) The tries to be true to the Source Material that attempts to emulate what is good about the book, sometimes in a mildly cultural shift fashion. Think Documentary to Disney.
2) The Pick up on exactly one theme and rewrite the entire plot to revolve around it.
3) The in name only adaption that takes some of the symbolism but would probably be unrecognizable if it wasn't in the title.
Ps. Yes I know Western Adaptations are the same way.

Yet it is so dang hard to find anything in the first category. The last one I saw was a Agatha Christie Anime that combined three of her series into one coherent anime while rewriting a few details here and there (Miss Marple and Periot crossover? Why Anime you spoil me!).

---

Wow, watched the Pollyanna anime (look, I like to watch ALL the versions of things >_<) and as soon as the anime started proper great music.

Goodness can you remember when anime used to use instruments?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 02:35:09 am by Neonivek »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #25457 on: November 28, 2015, 02:40:26 am »

Uh, the last one I watched? And every single one before that?

Except for, like, Parasyte, or something, if you don't think dubstep uses instruments (but the dubstep in that is actually really good so vov)
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25458 on: November 28, 2015, 02:52:17 am »

Uh, the last one I watched? And every single one before that?

Except for, like, Parasyte, or something, if you don't think dubstep uses instruments (but the dubstep in that is actually really good so vov)

I mean real instruments not clear synth :P

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #25459 on: November 28, 2015, 02:55:03 am »

Mostly just the music-related ones, I suppose. And other ones with an above-average budget. And anything produced before synths really caught on as a really easy cost-saving measure.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25460 on: November 28, 2015, 02:57:51 am »

Mostly just the music-related ones, I suppose.

50/50 Synth to real instrument really.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #25461 on: November 28, 2015, 03:08:43 am »

Yeah, but to be fair, you can't really expect a studio to bring in a full band for every little background piece. If they have enough money to do that, then that's awesome, but honestly I don't think it detracts at all.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25462 on: November 28, 2015, 03:11:52 am »

Yeah, but to be fair, you can't really expect a studio to bring in a full band for every little background piece. If they have enough money to do that, then that's awesome, but honestly I don't think it detracts at all.

Ohh no, I don't think it does at all. If anything it just makes the animes with good music stick out.

It just was surprising. I watch an anime and suddenly there is an orchestral swell and I was like "Wow, I forgot anime could have this"

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25463 on: November 28, 2015, 03:27:01 am »

Plenty of anime use guitar music etc. Here are some pretty recent OPs:

Hibike Euphonium OP 2015:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umVEWBoMTh4

Noragami OP 2014:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBwZJ2kWS9Q

Gekkan shoujo Nozaki-kun 2014:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S24pkA7mFF4

And going off the current season, One Punch mans' op is pretty metal whereas Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphan's op sounds like California Punk style.

Remember, you just said "uses instruments". Which is most animes as far as I can tell. More often than not they have a guitar in there and not just techno. Saying now "oh I meant orchestral instruments" is seriously shifting the goalposts. I think less animes use orchestral merely because that stuff just isn't as popular for TV shows. Not many western TV shows have orchestal scores, either.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 03:33:31 am by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25464 on: November 28, 2015, 03:36:38 am »

No I don't mean Orchestral I mean... instruments :P

As in real instruments. Not computer generated ones.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 03:40:02 am by Neonivek »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25465 on: November 28, 2015, 03:39:51 am »

well listen to the tracks I linked and tell me if you think those are instruments or a synth.

Hibike Euphonium has actual brass band performance pieces as part of the plot, I doubt they're using synths for any of the actual instruments.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25466 on: November 28, 2015, 03:41:05 am »

well listen to the tracks I linked and tell me if you think those are instruments or a synth.

>_> Well I don't want to poop on things people like.

Though to be less insulting perhaps the clear digital editing on the instruments make them sound artificial to me and I just always confused them for synthetic instruments.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 03:42:58 am by Neonivek »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25467 on: November 28, 2015, 03:42:19 am »

If someone is producing stuff that sounds like a good electric guitar player, it's probably cheaper to just hire a guitar player to make it rather than some techno wizardry.

EDIT: Everyone uses digital effects with real instruments these days, pretty much the only effects units you can buy now are digital, and it's been like that for roughly the last 20-25 years.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 03:49:25 am by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25468 on: November 28, 2015, 03:46:51 am »

If someone is producing stuff that sounds like a good electric guitar player, it's probably cheaper to just hire a guitar player to make it rather than some techno wizardry.

EDIT: Everyone uses digital effects with real instruments these days, pretty much the only effects units you can buy now are digital, and it's been like that for roughly the last 20-25 years.

That explains the thick layer of fake.

Though as for "Technowizardry" naw technology has gotten so good now you can easily fake "real instruments".

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25469 on: November 28, 2015, 03:48:51 am »

But it would take hours to get a guitar solo properly sequenced in your fake software compared to mere seconds to get someone to just play the riff. Goos guitarists aren't rare.

The technology is there but the economics is not on the side of painstakingly handcrafting a sequencer track that some normal musician could just spew out instantly.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 03:53:48 am by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 1696 1697 [1698] 1699 1700 ... 2193