Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1691 1692 [1693] 1694 1695 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3056420 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #25380 on: November 20, 2015, 02:11:01 am »

MD Geist.

Well, there's also Mondaiji-tachi ga Isekai kara Kuru Sou Desu yo? which is like NGNL but with less loli-bathing-time interludes.

I think there aren't so many curb-stomp manga/animes because most writers have at least enough sense to realize that making awesome enemies to beat makes the hero look more awesome, not less.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 02:16:44 am by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25381 on: November 20, 2015, 06:09:37 am »

Everytime I watch the Legend of Galactic Heroes into I think American Tail is suddenly going to start

"There will always be a dream in my heart, and loving me tonight"

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #25382 on: November 20, 2015, 11:51:09 am »

There's always Hellsing. Only ever watched the Ultimate Edition but "an MC who either has abilities so overpowered that no one can reasonably beat them" describes Alucard pretty perfectly.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #25383 on: November 20, 2015, 12:18:08 pm »

Might as well watch Abridged alongside it, they're basically the same show from two angles.

But yeah, stuff in that vein is basically all haremshit LN-derived series, because that sort of scenario is very, very difficult to do right (mainly finding a way around the lack of conflict which a painfully overpowered protagonist creates--one solution is exemplified by The Games We Play, where the author balances their OP protagonist with terrifyingly more powerful antagonists; the other is to design the plot such that the protagonist's power isn't relevant: if they're an unbeatable combat monster, make everything around social conflicts and emotional problems which can't be punched into submission --so pretty much all of the examples are wanky self-inserts. OPM and Overlord are pretty much the only recent ones that are even half-decent. Akagi is close enough to the concept that I'll second it.

Somewhat amusingly, Mahou Sensei Negima is pretty much a perfect subversion of all the OP SI haremshit series that are cropping up now. Follow the checklist of points which it doesn't play in the normal manner.

1. Male protagonist in a strange situation which leaves him living with and around an abnormal number of girls, many of whom are attracted to him. But Negi is too young to be romantically inclined towards any of them, is in that situation based on his own merit rather than being The Chosen OneTM, and most of the girls are attracted to him as a mascot/human puppy rather than a love interest.

2. Protagonist is a (magical) prodigy who is unusually talented for his age. But he grows into the vast majority of that power through honest effort under the guidance and tutelage of adult peers, rather than luck or plot devices.

3. Protagonist becomes obscenely powerful in a relatively short period of time. But the setting is full of absurdly broken powerhouses, at least one or two of whom remain more powerful than him for the rest of his life.

4. The harem plot is never adequately resolved and endlessly teased. But the girls involved in it are all meaningful characters with their own motives and interests outside of the relationship, and the harem plot itself quickly takes a back seat to the real plot.

I could go on, but this is almost alarming. It's positively eerie, as if Akamatsu was intentionally subverting a trend that emerged nearly a decade after he started publishing MSN in addition to pulling one over the people pressuring him to write another Love Hina and writing a shonen action adventure instead.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #25384 on: November 20, 2015, 02:22:05 pm »

Digimon Adventure Tri is now up on Crunchyroll in the form of the first movie beig split into four episodes.
It's FEF, not FEOF

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #25385 on: November 20, 2015, 03:41:52 pm »

Somewhat amusingly, Mahou Sensei Negima is pretty much a perfect subversion of all the OP SI haremshit series that are cropping up now. Follow the checklist of points which it doesn't play in the normal manner.
Wasn't that part of the goal of that series? I seem to remember hearing some story about how the author wanted to write something non-harem but because Love Hina was so successful they basically said that the story had to be a harem story, and so he got back at them by turning the majority of the harem tropes on their head to get around the limitation and write the story that he actually wanted to write.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #25386 on: November 20, 2015, 03:53:48 pm »

Wasn't that part of the goal of that series? I seem to remember hearing some story about how the author wanted to write something non-harem but because Love Hina was so successful they basically said that the story had to be a harem story, and so he got back at them by turning the majority of the harem tropes on their head to get around the limitation and write the story that he actually wanted to write.
Yeah, but that was back when Love Hina and Tenchi Muyo! were pretty much the definition of harem series, given that they're (broadly, generally) responsible for making them popular. Not unironically, both ran distinctly counter to the shit that they ultimately have inspired, and are in fact interesting stories in their own rights which happen to have harem-style relationships. As both you and I mentioned, MSN was Akamatsu's response to being pressured to write another manga in the vein of Love Hina, but that had more to do with artistic freedom than anything else. It's only retrospectively that we see him unknowingly doing good work with ideas which would ultimately become the first, last, and only resort of incompetent LN authors.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #25387 on: November 20, 2015, 05:27:32 pm »

Re: OP protag, you might consider Tensei Shitara Slime datta ken, which I didn't noticed mentioned. It's even relatively decent of a read on its own merits, as that sort of thing goes (at least up to the point I got distracted and stopped reading, anyway :P).
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25388 on: November 20, 2015, 05:34:36 pm »

Akagi manages it mostly by making the villains huge freeken cheaters in a game that is somewhat ruled by luck.

And some do it by making it a question about how he manages to do it.

While others make it so that their power cannot instantly solve the situations they are in... A person who can blow up planets with their tongue... Aren't necessarily going to be amazing detectives.

One Punch Man for example is brokenly powerful... but his quest is to find the one opponent who can last more then one punch (In many ways he feels like a parody of typical Action Mangas/anime). Clearly being absurdly broken isn't going to help him.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25389 on: November 20, 2015, 05:46:07 pm »

Recently I watched Aah Harimanada, about an extremely manly sumo wrestler that swears to never lose a match until he has conquered the winning streak of the greatest sumo that ever lived. The animation is 70-80's era, but I very much enjoyed it, and it's a thrilling Yokozuna anime that will make you stronger just by watching it.

And if you want to step out of the anime, Steven Seagal movies frequently typify the idea of the untouchable, macho martial artist. IIRC Seagal himself loves the idea of the 'golden child' that is just a born prodigy in everything they do.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25390 on: November 20, 2015, 06:06:56 pm »

Re: OP protag, you might consider Tensei Shitara Slime datta ken, which I didn't noticed mentioned. It's even relatively decent of a read on its own merits, as that sort of thing goes (at least up to the point I got distracted and stopped reading, anyway :P).

You win the new manga award. Sadly it's only 6 chapters long so now I just have another manga to desperately wait to release a chapter.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #25391 on: November 20, 2015, 06:24:11 pm »

... that has a manga? I... I don't think I knew that. I was talking about the LN, which has been fan-translated till around chapter 110 or so, near as I can tell.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25392 on: November 21, 2015, 05:24:36 am »

I'm hesitant to read light novels. It's basically a book and I enjoy manga more.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25393 on: November 21, 2015, 11:12:13 am »

What is odd is I REALLY love the intro of Young Black Jack... but I wish it was better.

Whenever it starts I keep thinking it is some better song but I can't think of what it is...

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25394 on: November 21, 2015, 11:10:51 pm »

Reading Palepoli manga today, here's a sample:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Here's a short story:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 1691 1692 [1693] 1694 1695 ... 2193