Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1687 1688 [1689] 1690 1691 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3056063 times)

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #25320 on: November 08, 2015, 05:26:24 pm »

Accept that people have different tastes and move on?
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

SquatchHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • A bit drafty
    • View Profile
« Reply #25321 on: November 08, 2015, 05:50:16 pm »

After seen a bit of an episode of One Punch Man, I had came to the conclusion that it's the dramatization of Maximum Zero's life.
That's technically an action, not a speech... Well it was only a matter of time before I had to write another scene of utter and horrifying perversion.

King of Candy Island.

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #25322 on: November 08, 2015, 08:58:15 pm »

Accept that people have different tastes and move on?

What a romantic, impractical thing to say.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25323 on: November 08, 2015, 09:00:28 pm »

Well, advertisers use the contrast effect, it's a very effective way of marketing just about anything. If something looks expensive they put even more expensive things next to it, and then people see it as cheap and buy a lot of it. Irrational, but it works. e.g. some friends were looking at Star Citizen ships and going "$45 for a digital spaceship, no thanks!" and then we got to the $10000 ships or whatever. Suddenly we were saying that the $45 ones were a bargain, and I had to catch myself.

You could pull the same trick with anime, in terms of quality. If you really want someone to have a good impression of a show, show him two episodes of the worst anime dreck right before it. Such as Akikan and Freezing. Then when they're skeptical about the next show go "no, this ones way better, I promise!". He'll have such low expectations and then be so glad it's not another low-budget battle harem that he'll love it despite himself.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 09:05:57 pm by Reelya »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #25324 on: November 08, 2015, 09:49:07 pm »

That's brutally clever, but I feel like it'd be more likely to burn him out than jostle his calibration.

Also, worst case scenario he gets more intrigued by the battle harem than the... moe thing? Actually not sure what HHD is supposed to be.

But then you have to watch seven hours of bath scenes interspersed with brief mention of aliens or whatever.

After seen a bit of an episode of One Punch Man, I had came to the conclusion that it's the dramatization of Maximum Zero's life.
Been reading a bit of this lately. The original, since I guess the shiny version has stronger legal teams or whatever.

I don't really get the hype over it. It feels like it starts out poking fun at shonen, then runs out of things to do or remembers that it likes shonen even though it's not good enough to be some for real, and so starts being shonen but haha get it its a parody so it sucks on purpose because that's the joke. The main guy's just a gag character; they tried getting into his motivations and such but not very far, so roboguy and the Supercunt League tend to be more interesting but can't get terribly far into it because obviously everything needs to end with Onegag doing his thing.

On the bright side, it's fascinating how much the art quality improves over just a few chapters, and it's oddly neat to see something official-ish done in a clearly "I'm not an artist but that's not going to stop me" style.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25325 on: November 08, 2015, 09:56:42 pm »

That's brutally clever, but I feel like it'd be more likely to burn him out than jostle his calibration.
Well I was thinking of 1 episode of each of a shitty show, so definitely not a whole series. But I did think of that, so I was thinking (but didn't end up editing in) that it might be better to pick some 5-10 minute short animes as the crappy ones, so as not to wear the person out with entire 25 minute eps of shitty stuff.

Also, worst case scenario he gets more intrigued by the battle harem than the... moe thing? Actually not sure what HHD is supposed to be.

But then you have to watch seven hours of bath scenes interspersed with brief mention of aliens or whatever.
Actually, moe is really the wrong word here. "cute" and "moe" don't mean the same thing. HHD is not moe. A kitten in a box is moe, because they're trying to evoke that "awww, I wanna take him home!" feeling, whereas the character designs in HHD are not trying to evoke anything like that sort of feeling. Moe is all about evoking a specific type of emotion in the viewer, not just cuteness in general.

And I'm not sure where the bath scenes even fit into the picture here?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 10:02:03 pm by Reelya »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #25326 on: November 08, 2015, 10:02:03 pm »

Been reading a bit of this lately. The original, since I guess the shiny version has stronger legal teams or whatever.

I don't really get the hype over it. It feels like it starts out poking fun at shonen, then runs out of things to do or remembers that it likes shonen even though it's not good enough to be some for real, and so starts being shonen but haha get it its a parody so it sucks on purpose because that's the joke. The main guy's just a gag character; they tried getting into his motivations and such but not very far, so roboguy and the Supercunt League tend to be more interesting but can't get terribly far into it because obviously everything needs to end with Onegag doing his thing.

On the bright side, it's fascinating how much the art quality improves over just a few chapters, and it's oddly neat to see something official-ish done in a clearly "I'm not an artist but that's not going to stop me" style.

That's one of the things I liked about it, it's very similar in mindset to the collective punk oeuvre (which was basically "Who fuckin' cares, you don't need training or talent or a fully functional instrument to make music!").

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #25327 on: November 09, 2015, 12:41:52 am »

Pretty sure the bath scenes with occasional alien mentions was more pointed at what you would have to sit through if your friend actually liked Freezing. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #25328 on: November 09, 2015, 01:14:56 am »

Pretty sure the bath scenes with occasional alien mentions was more pointed at what you would have to sit through if your friend actually liked Freezing. :P
Yeah. I doubt there'd be anything quite like the dawning horror of hearing somebody say that was "Pretty cool, and I loved how the busty chick's clothes got all torn up."

I assume finding out they'd been infected is close, though.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25329 on: November 09, 2015, 06:54:46 am »

I finished up Aah Harimanada (aka The Thrilling Yokozuna Anime That Will Make You Stronger Just By Watching It!) and I really liked it. It's very manly and teaches alot about sumo. Ends prematurely just like Rowdy Matsutaro, but I enjoyed it while it lasted.

The I watched Cockpit, a short 3 ep OVA on some fictionalized accounts of WW2 Soldiers. Very violent and heavy, quite liked it.

To cool off after that heavy show, I started up PUCHIMAS which as you may already know is about if nearly everyone had little mini-me's as exotic pets. Utterly diabetic in theme and attitude.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25330 on: November 09, 2015, 10:05:32 am »

Watching Seven Deadly Sins (Netflix Original...)

Ham, but good Shonen.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25331 on: November 09, 2015, 03:49:00 pm »

The I watched Cockpit, a short 3 ep OVA on some fictionalized accounts of WW2 Soldiers. Very violent and heavy, quite liked it.
Area 88 is worth a look too. I watched the 1980's OVA, however not sure about the TV remake.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 03:51:35 pm by Reelya »

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25332 on: November 09, 2015, 07:53:17 pm »

Humanity Has Declined is a rather darkly cynical and sarcastic comedy hiding behind a veneer of pastel'y happy fun-times; also known as "that one anime with the suicidal bread scene."

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25333 on: November 10, 2015, 05:28:35 am »

I caught up on Young Blackjack. It's nice that the show is actually getting into some nice drama rather than just always gazing googly-eyed at how excessively sexy (sexcessively, if you will) the young Hazama Kuroo is. I'd like to continue watching the series, but I'm not sure if I'm prepared to be a homosexual.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #25334 on: November 10, 2015, 09:54:48 am »

So become a kuroosexual instead?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 1687 1688 [1689] 1690 1691 ... 2193