Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1686 1687 [1688] 1689 1690 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3056074 times)

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #25305 on: November 07, 2015, 07:37:15 pm »

Japanese writing and how things are pronounced are a little different. Phonemes ending with an "u" sound are by convention often the place holder for an unvocalized sound. Think a syllable boundary between two consonants in English. "Batman" would be written "Ba-tu-ma-n" in Japanese but still pronounced "Batman". For example in Paranoia Agent, the villain is always stated as "Shonen Bat", not "Shonen Batu", but the word "bat" here would in fact be written with the syllables "Ba" and "tu". Say "BAT" in English and notice that no matter what you do there's a slight hiss of air after the final "T". That slight exhalation of air is what the "u" in Japanese "tu" actually signifies. English also has that sound, we just don't write it down so we forget it exists.
This is a good explanation, but you unfortunately picked an example that's an exception and therefore wrong.

There is no "Tu" syllable in Japanese. It is replaced by "Tsu", and is never used to represent hard T sounds in loanwords. Instead, "To" is used. "Battoman" is how Batman is spelled, and "Shounen Batto". It's still generally voiced in a reduced way when they're trying to say an English word, though. D is a modification of T in Japanese, so the same goes for it. Bird = "Baado", Bed = "Beddo" etc.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #25306 on: November 07, 2015, 07:49:55 pm »

Episode 10 of Madoka Magica.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25307 on: November 07, 2015, 08:10:32 pm »

Japanese writing and how things are pronounced are a little different. Phonemes ending with an "u" sound are by convention often the place holder for an unvocalized sound. Think a syllable boundary between two consonants in English. "Batman" would be written "Ba-tu-ma-n" in Japanese but still pronounced "Batman". For example in Paranoia Agent, the villain is always stated as "Shonen Bat", not "Shonen Batu", but the word "bat" here would in fact be written with the syllables "Ba" and "tu". Say "BAT" in English and notice that no matter what you do there's a slight hiss of air after the final "T". That slight exhalation of air is what the "u" in Japanese "tu" actually signifies. English also has that sound, we just don't write it down so we forget it exists.
This is a good explanation, but you unfortunately picked an example that's an exception and therefore wrong.

There is no "Tu" syllable in Japanese. It is replaced by "Tsu", and is never used to represent hard T sounds in loanwords. Instead, "To" is used. "Battoman" is how Batman is spelled, and "Shounen Batto". It's still generally voiced in a reduced way when they're trying to say an English word, though. D is a modification of T in Japanese, so the same goes for it. Bird = "Baado", Bed = "Beddo" etc.

Oh yeah sorry you're right. it's shounen ba-to. So a silent 'o' is used when needed.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25308 on: November 07, 2015, 08:16:13 pm »

And now Episode 11.

Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25309 on: November 07, 2015, 08:18:46 pm »

Watch a show to cheer yourself up next. I recommend Air or Angel Beats or AnoHana. It's amazing how many cheerful and uplifting animes begin with "A".
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 08:21:58 pm by Reelya »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #25310 on: November 07, 2015, 08:29:53 pm »

Ah, Angel Beats. The only anime that I would recommend while utterly despising the ending.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25311 on: November 07, 2015, 08:43:08 pm »

Watch a show to cheer yourself up next. I recommend Air or Angel Beats or AnoHana. It's amazing how many cheerful and uplifting animes begin with "A".

You're a terrible human being.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25312 on: November 07, 2015, 08:45:59 pm »

You're a terrible human being.
It's fine; I've watched Angel Beats, and it being on that list was enough to tip me off about the rest.

Also;
Sigtext!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #25313 on: November 07, 2015, 09:23:11 pm »

Ah, Angel Beats. The only anime that I would recommend while utterly despising the ending.
The ending-ending or the post-credits ending?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #25314 on: November 07, 2015, 09:36:35 pm »

Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #25315 on: November 07, 2015, 09:43:39 pm »

Ah. So basically everything after

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #25316 on: November 07, 2015, 09:45:47 pm »

Finally got around to starting Yuru Yuri Season 3. Fun things are fun. Yurus are yuru.

Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25317 on: November 07, 2015, 10:18:48 pm »

While the final plot twist was already planned out, Angel Beats was apparently cut down during planning from a much longer show to ~13, so they had to fast-track some events to finish it up in time:

« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 10:36:03 pm by Reelya »

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #25318 on: November 08, 2015, 04:50:42 pm »

Apparently in the universe of Concrete Revolutio the Beetles have magic guitars that make people high and turn into hippies if they listen to them live, and give people superpowers if they hit the strings in a certain way.

Have I mentioned how much I love this show?

« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 05:03:01 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #25319 on: November 08, 2015, 05:23:53 pm »

My best friend likes anime but doesn't like humanity has declined, what can I do about this? :V

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: 1 ... 1686 1687 [1688] 1689 1690 ... 2193