Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1684 1685 [1686] 1687 1688 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3055984 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #25275 on: November 05, 2015, 08:19:04 pm »

My main thrust was addressed at quality, however
You meant quantity, yeah? And... conceptually, I guess? But the saturation point for any particular published genre is not static -- authors float in and out constantly, just like fanfic authors float in and out of active writing. Especially among the worst authors, heh. It's not a terribly low limit on sheer number of drek, and that's something that's exacerbated by the fact that published stuff tends to be longer per work -- a really terrible fanfic author may never produce a novella's worth of text, but that trashy romance novelist produced at least a good 100k words and change.

Though yeah, there's a quality difference. I'd just argue that the quality that they primarily differ in isn't all too terribly core to overall work quality -- it's most strongly seen in mechanics, not plot/characterization/world building. With the latter, I'd fairly strongly argue the difference between published and unpublished work is not particularly notable.

Though @ Ree, the WH40k stuff varies wildly. Some of it's pretty good, just like a fair amount of the Forgotten Realms stuff is solid. It's just some of it... isn't. Think there's some derivative LNs or manga out there that follow similar patterns, heh.
Yeah, I did.

The 40K novelizations are practically the poster-child for poor quality control and Sturgeon's Revelation.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #25276 on: November 05, 2015, 08:53:22 pm »

And that's episode 9 finished.

This is the first anime that has made me actually need a break. I don't think I could handle another episode today, I'm too busy thinking about the last 7 episodes.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #25277 on: November 06, 2015, 02:57:55 pm »

I am astonished to just now discover that the title Mahou Shoujo Taisen was wasted on a show about anthromorphisms of japanese prefectures
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 03:40:06 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25278 on: November 06, 2015, 05:22:11 pm »

Well SRW with mahou shoujo sort of exists already

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #25279 on: November 06, 2015, 09:09:53 pm »

That's not SRW with magical girls. That's SRW with a bunch of random harem shows and shows with moe characters along with like just two magical girl shows thrown in. It COULD have been SRW withh Magical Girls (well... Kinda anyways. It would have at least been somewhat closer to the concept in execution) if they had stuck to their original proposal for a series list. But for some reason or another they didn't go through with it and so the world was left in dissapointment.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 09:17:22 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25280 on: November 06, 2015, 09:43:57 pm »

I watched the "Training with Hinako" set of videos that was mentioned a dozen or so pages ago, and despite being really shameless and creepy Girl Ogling Simulators, there was something really convincingly artistic with the episode 'Sleeping With Hinako'. It's something that'a hard to explain.

It basically just simulates a purely innocent and cute sleepover. There's a brief introduction, and then the most devoted sleeping scene ever. Just a solid 25-30 minutes of soundless, actionless, near-motionless scene where you're just watching a girl sleep.

When Hinako *is* awake and talking to you, it's very ASMR-like, with her conversing with the fourth wall as its own character. It's genuinely very relaxing and intimate.

I just wanted to bring it up, cause it's very obvious that the creators were just intending to make a typical pervy fantasy show, but through sheer accident managed to create something unique and enjoyable.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25281 on: November 06, 2015, 09:57:25 pm »

I thought it was a total ... snorefest. But seriously that might be the most relaxing anime ever made. Forget Aria or Mushishi, it's strangely hypnotic.

The bath episode is the worst one. At least the exercise one is actually structured around the execises and is good for a laugh, but the bath one is completely pointless and shameless.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 10:09:13 pm by Reelya »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #25282 on: November 06, 2015, 10:24:17 pm »

That's not SRW with magical girls.
Hey, there's that series of touhou SRW-style games. Fantasy Maiden Wars, checking on it. Not quite magical girl of the transforming sort, and only the first one's been translated, but it does involve a lot of girls and girl-shaped things using magic to blow each other up.

S'also Battle Moon Wars (i.e. the nasuverse one), which is again not quite MG of the normal sort, but there are girls what does the magic to murder each other in a SRW-like game system.

Probably more, but those are the only two I can recall at the moment, heh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25283 on: November 07, 2015, 04:23:45 am »

Ok here is a question.

Why do the Japanese pronounce "Steve" as "Steve-Eeeeh"?

Though that isn't exactly accurate I think they have rules on sounds you can add and remove from someone's name. But what is it?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #25284 on: November 07, 2015, 04:24:49 am »

"v" isn't a sound in Japanese AFAIK. "ve" (or is it "be"?) is.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25285 on: November 07, 2015, 04:28:32 am »

"v" isn't a sound in Japanese AFAIK. "ve" (or is it "be"?) is.

So they are basically stumbling around a sound they cannot naturally make and thus instead of Steve they go Ste-Veeh?

A lot like Americans trying to speak proper Indian.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 04:30:28 am by Neonivek »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #25286 on: November 07, 2015, 04:38:04 am »

Kanji characters usually equate to two English letters, and one syllable. The simplest example is probably desu, which when said quickly sounds like des because the kanji su isn't being fully enunciated.
Except half the time it's the second half of the syllable that's actually the second syllable, so rather than de-su you get des-u.
So with Steve, the "correct" (in terms of kanji) pronunciation is Ste-veh. Said quickly you'd get Stev. When a Japanese person says Steve "correctly" with the funky syllable thing, you get Steve-eh.

The whole thing is terribly similar to mispronounced names in dubbed shows - Na-gee-sa vs. Na-gi-sa.

Also, ve/be are the same sound in Japanese, which is why then tend to get mixed up. Kinda like the more stereotypical l and r thing.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25287 on: November 07, 2015, 04:49:25 am »

Here is another

Isn't father "Dosa", why am I hearing "Doja"? or is Dosa someone else?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #25288 on: November 07, 2015, 04:54:38 am »

Uh. You thinking of "otou-san"?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25289 on: November 07, 2015, 04:56:09 am »

Uh. You thinking of "otou-san"?

No. Just Dosa

I am hearing Doja instead.

Am I mixing them up or something?
Pages: 1 ... 1684 1685 [1686] 1687 1688 ... 2193