Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1682 1683 [1684] 1685 1686 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3055902 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #25245 on: November 02, 2015, 03:51:15 am »

That's... basically what nightcore is. The pitch is shifted up, and speed is usually increased. Good nightcore adds a new bassline to offset the squeakiness.
That said, I don't get why so much is nightcore instead of, y'know, the actual song.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25246 on: November 02, 2015, 07:00:12 am »

Cop-pee-rites? There's some publishers that tenaciously police youtube and remove anything that doesn't fall under fair use, so people remix and modify in order to dodge being struck down.

While Kill La Kill was still under production, I couldn't find ANY music from it on Youtube. You'd think the show didn't even exist with the conspicuous absence of material available, which was frustrating cause I just wanted the Openings and Endings on-hand to listen to. Even after the series was finished, some songs I had managed to find and arrange into a playlist would still get taken down occasionally. Same for Jojo and Shimoneta, I just can't find anything that isn't modded to sound deep or squeaky, or is a remix of some kind.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #25247 on: November 02, 2015, 11:10:27 am »

Yeah, Nightcore's an easy way to get around that, even if it sounds like shit. Same reason that a lot of uploaded songs are slightly faster, slower, or (less noticeably) differently pitched.

In related news, the main upload of Ai wo Torimodose got taken down after being up for eight years, so nothing is really safe.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25248 on: November 02, 2015, 01:48:28 pm »

I peeked at the news on myanimelist and noticed last weeks manga sales went up, a quick comparison for the lulz:

http://myanimelist.net/news/42908159
well in nytimes, it's all Tokyo Ghoul, One Punch Man, Naruto, Fairy Tail, Big Hero 6. So, not all crap, but all firmly within the "shonen" category. No big titty harems in the top 10 sellers this week America? You're slacking off and making it harder for me to mock America manga readers! Well there's one manga I've never heard of in the list, that couldn't be some ultrashittyshit with giant boobs could it? It's this thing. Ironically, that's the only thing on the American list that's a "seinen" manga. America really showing it's tastes for more gritty and adult manga, amirite?

Anyway, here's Japan's sales for the same week
http://myanimelist.net/news/42881409
Well, it's not the typical week in Japan. But that's like the exception that proves the rule. Many weeks sports manga dominate the top 10, other weeks shoujo romances are selling really well. This week seinen manga is the dominate force.
#1 is Kingdom, which is a critically acclaimed historical seinen manga based on China's warring states period. Overall, there are 4 seinen mangas here, two shoujo mangas, and 4 shonen mangas. Number of ecchi mangas that were top sellers in Japan is again, zero. I swear they're going to end up just producing ecchi manga for the American market, because you got a hell of a better chance of making a name for yourself if you can get Americans to buy that stuff.

So, we hear a lot about how Japanese otaku are apparently infantile and not like the mature viewers in the West, hence why their pandering otaku crap doesn't translate across the pacific. But the actual sales figures paint a different picture. Pandering crap does better in the USA by many measures.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 02:20:26 pm by Reelya »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #25249 on: November 02, 2015, 03:28:12 pm »

Well there's one manga I've never heard of in the list, that couldn't be some ultrashittyshit with giant boobs could it? It's this thing. Ironically, that's the only thing on the American list that's a "seinen" manga. America really showing it's tastes for more gritty and adult manga, amirite?

Okay, I need to find whoever listed another shitty magic-highschool-haremshit series as seinen so that I can strangle them.

The series itself also sounds like utter drivel, as if someone mashed Mahouka and Infinite Stratos into a single ball of boobs and Stu.

e: Re: maturity and otaku, I'd say that it's entirely logical for it to be the other way around (aka the way it actually is right now). Anime only made it big over here a little before the turn of the century; the first generation of audience was primarily kids who grew up watching some of the really early dubs that aired (censored and somewhat out of order) in the late '80s and early '90s. So, like, the oldest solid generation of western anime fans are in their early thirties at best (with individual exceptions, natch), and a very large bloc is composed of horny teenagers who just want to see T&A mixed with overpowered clashes of hotblooded stupidity.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 03:32:33 pm by Flying Dice »

3. Run Resize Enable

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #25250 on: November 02, 2015, 03:48:23 pm »

Well there's one manga I've never heard of in the list, that couldn't be some ultrashittyshit with giant boobs could it? It's this thing. Ironically, that's the only thing on the American list that's a "seinen" manga. America really showing it's tastes for more gritty and adult manga, amirite?
Okay, I need to find whoever listed another shitty magic-highschool-haremshit series as seinen so that I can strangle them.

The series itself also sounds like utter drivel, as if someone mashed Mahouka and Infinite Stratos into a single ball of boobs and Stu.
As a person who stumbled upon that particular manga and read it, I must say that while it is still a giant ball of harem unoriginality, it actually has some surprisingly dark moments (why are characters dying in my light-hearted harem story?), strangely enough, with a main character who surprisingly doesn't rate too well on the power scale of the series (undoubtedly this will change as the story goes on due to his power's nature as a "copy other powers" thing, but at least at the point it was at when I read it he was able to throw around only the equivalent of the basic fireball when several other characters are busy summoning gods to aid them).

So yeah, still ecchi harem stuff, but honestly I'd rank it way better than Mahouka (or even a few really bad non-harem stuff). It's the sort of story that you start out reading for god knows why (well, we all know why :P) and then when it sucker punches you you discover that you've actually become somewhat invested in the characters.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #25251 on: November 02, 2015, 04:10:33 pm »

I'm kinda wondering what's up with this Nightcore stuff ... I hear some nice anime openings, go find the full length version of the track and it's always 200% squeakier ... sometimes they're the only full-length versions of these songs on youtube, which sucks.

In a related annoyance, Pandora seems to think that "nightcore" is a specific artist.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #25252 on: November 02, 2015, 04:24:06 pm »

As a person who stumbled upon that particular manga and read it, I must say that while it is still a giant ball of harem unoriginality, it actually has some surprisingly dark moments (why are characters dying in my light-hearted harem story?), strangely enough, with a main character who surprisingly doesn't rate too well on the power scale of the series (undoubtedly this will change as the story goes on due to his power's nature as a "copy other powers" thing, but at least at the point it was at when I read it he was able to throw around only the equivalent of the basic fireball when several other characters are busy summoning gods to aid them).

So yeah, still ecchi harem stuff, but honestly I'd rank it way better than Mahouka (or even a few really bad non-harem stuff). It's the sort of story that you start out reading for god knows why (well, we all know why :P) and then when it sucker punches you you discover that you've actually become somewhat invested in the characters.

I meant in terms of premise. You've got the "boy doing the thing that only girls can do, so he's put into a school with them" from IS, and the "worst guy ever is secretly supah speshul" from Mahouka. Or perhaps from that other one about the dungeon with the big-boobed goddess and the other bland haremshit protag with the supah speshul sekret power.

Like, that's one thing I actually respect ZnT for: the main character was genuinely a pathetic lecherous sack of shit with no redeeming qualities beyond his ability to not die and not stay dead when he did, and that never changed.

3. Run Resize Enable

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25253 on: November 02, 2015, 06:20:58 pm »

I think there are two sort of fanservice series, the bulk of ones where it's just drivel (most ecchi harem stuff), or the ones where there's a decent show in there somewhere, but buried under what seems to be excessive executive meddling.

Divergence Eve is my go-to example of this. If they just toned down the boobs, it would be like a mash-up of Event Horizon, Aliens and Neon Genesis Evangelion. One reviewer summed it up: it's like someone set out to make a gritty pschological sci-fi horror with political intrigue elements, then it got handed to a team of hentai artists to actually animate. Who then skimped on the actual combat scenes so they could focus on getting the jiggle physics working properly.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 06:25:49 pm by Reelya »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #25254 on: November 02, 2015, 10:19:52 pm »

I swear they're going to end up just producing ecchi manga for the American market, because you got a hell of a better chance of making a name for yourself if you can get Americans to buy that stuff.
I heard once from a single unreliable source that this is where American "stoners accidentally get into all-girl college" movies come from; supposedly they're wildly popular in Eastern Europe, so they film them in the US for whatever reason, release them there because why not, then immediately ship them out to their intended audience.

Too lazy to hunt up sales figures to see if there's any merit to that, but it's a nice thought and an interesting concept.

e: Re: maturity and otaku, I'd say that it's entirely logical for it to be the other way around (aka the way it actually is right now). Anime only made it big over here a little before the turn of the century; the first generation of audience was primarily kids who grew up watching some of the really early dubs that aired (censored and somewhat out of order) in the late '80s and early '90s. So, like, the oldest solid generation of western anime fans are in their early thirties at best (with individual exceptions, natch), and a very large bloc is composed of horny teenagers who just want to see T&A mixed with overpowered clashes of hotblooded stupidity.
I still think vacuum is more important than raw age in this case. There isn't really a strong titshonen equivalent in the West, so it makes sense that they'd want to import one; meanwhile, other things aimed at teenagers (notably nontit cartoons) do fine and don't seem to have a strong anime equivalent.

More generally, it's hard to find equivalents between popular (imported) anime and (domestic) notanime genres. Action/adventure shonen only vaguely resembles action movies or most actionish cartoons; superhero stuff is probably its closest relative. Titshonen doesn't really exist outside of hot female characters existing in other works. Moe doesn't really exist except for I guess animal movies and a handful of "kids do stuff" things. Slice of life has very vague equivalents in "I go to school, it's weird" stuff, but it's usually a totally different vibe and focus. Most Western genres (romantic comedy, TV drama, Ren & Stimpy) simply don't exist in imported anime form, even if there's plenty of it out there to import.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #25255 on: November 02, 2015, 10:25:51 pm »

Who then skimped on the actual combat scenes so they could focus on getting the jiggle physics working properly.
Do people actually... y'know, like the jiggle physics? I find it to fall somewhere between comical and annoying. Never attractive.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #25256 on: November 02, 2015, 10:26:46 pm »

I agree with almost all of that except that there aren't any imported anime rom-coms. What would you call Love Hina or Tenchi Muyo!, then? Not to mention that a lot of the lighter slice-of-life series are basically rom-coms with a slightly shifted focus.

3. Run Resize Enable

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #25257 on: November 02, 2015, 10:38:43 pm »

Rom-coms are basically ubiquitous though. Admittedly, the anime rom-com tropes are somewhat different from the western rom-com tropes, but it's not like it doesn't exist or is incredibly niche - a la haremshit, slice of life, ecch,i etcetera.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25258 on: November 02, 2015, 10:44:52 pm »

Who then skimped on the actual combat scenes so they could focus on getting the jiggle physics working properly.
Do people actually... y'know, like the jiggle physics? I find it to fall somewhere between comical and annoying. Never attractive.

Whenever I'd see unrealistic jiggling, I'd always joke to myself "Those boobs have a life of their own!"

That was, until I saw Yowamushi Pedal, then I realized: Boobs not only DO have a life of their own, each boob has its own mind and personality, with unique identities and agency. By all rights, each Tit is its own unnamed character, just trying to participate in the story as much as possible.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25259 on: November 02, 2015, 11:05:07 pm »

I agree with almost all of that except that there aren't any imported anime rom-coms. What would you call Love Hina or Tenchi Muyo!, then? Not to mention that a lot of the lighter slice-of-life series are basically rom-coms with a slightly shifted focus.

Harem rom-coms fill a gap in the western market because the west doesn't really make any rom-com material aimed at a male audience. So it's similar in a sense to how seinen anime has benefited from the animation age ghetto, but it's the "romance is only for girls" bias in this case.

Clearly there's a market gap and harems clunkily fill that gap. Perhaps that's why the more ecchi harems are popular with the western fans too. It's basically the slice of life romcom stuff that only girls are supposed to like, but camoflaged under the boobs so you can still claim you're a bro.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 11:17:01 pm by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 1682 1683 [1684] 1685 1686 ... 2193