Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1676 1677 [1678] 1679 1680 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3055536 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #25155 on: October 28, 2015, 11:38:54 am »

"Moe" is not a selling point for any of them and I didn't mind being put to sleep by Aria. I may have a look at Bantorra. "Murika fuck yeah" annoys me.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25156 on: October 28, 2015, 11:45:07 am »

Sora no Woto has some definite similarities to Aria. The setting and characters are sort of like a cross between Aria and Haibane Renmei. A great soundtrack is one of the selling points.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 11:49:44 am by Reelya »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25157 on: October 28, 2015, 11:47:53 am »

"Murika fuck yeah" annoys me.

Gate's thing is actually "Japan fuck yeah", so it's a variant. The Americans, Russians and Chinese are antagonists in the show. Sorry for the double post, I meant to edit this in.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #25158 on: October 28, 2015, 11:53:33 am »

It's... not really an offshoot of the whole 'murika fuck yeah thing, imo, which has connotations beyond the military aspect and is a description that would lead you to expect things that... don't really follow.

Gate's just standard military wank fiction with the JSDF as the protagonist faction, with all that entails.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #25159 on: October 28, 2015, 12:31:56 pm »

Gate's not just mil-wank. It's outright political propaganda supporting the right-wing faction of Japanese society that misses the good old days of military dictatorship.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

aenri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25160 on: October 28, 2015, 12:37:39 pm »

Gate's not just mil-wank. It's outright political propaganda supporting the right-wing faction of Japanese society that misses the good old days of military dictatorship.

You what mate, them's fightin' words. So do you have any argument to support your claim or is it just talk?

IMO there is not enough good milwank in anime. Gate is the only current one. Not counting sci-fi milwanks like Gundam.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25161 on: October 28, 2015, 12:43:58 pm »

You what mate, them's fightin' words. So do you have any argument to support your claim or is it just talk?

IMO there is not enough good milwank in anime. Gate is the only current one. Not counting sci-fi milwanks like Gundam.

Directly alongside Gundam milwank is "military is bad, mkay. we only use it to stop the bigger milwankers." Peace and demilitarization is always the end goal.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #25162 on: October 28, 2015, 12:46:30 pm »

Most of gundam isn't exactly milwank, heh. The style is something fairly particular, and gundam's storytelling falls in different areas. It does involve military factions and themes and whatnot, but it's almost never wank. Gundam's a bit too high brow for that :P

Honestly, I haven't really noticed much actual milwank in anime. When military forces are involved it's usually something very different from that particular writing style.

Also, yeah, definitely didn't notice... anything like that, from the parts of the manga I read. It was bog standard milwank set against a less technologically capable foe, with no more propaganda silliness than is entirely normal for the genre.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 12:48:43 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #25163 on: October 28, 2015, 12:47:54 pm »

I always thought that was mostly the author's own personal biases leaking in, like why David Weber's works almost always have crazy liberals and stupid reactionaries conservatives (the empire-fetish, however, seems to be his love of Hornblower rather than his politics) or Eric Flint's works have the same political shift towards the radical left, rather than being an explicit purpose of the work in itself.  I kinda actively avoided Gate, though, so I can't really talk too much...

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #25164 on: October 28, 2015, 12:55:16 pm »

I can't tolerate wank in any kind of work. It's why I stopped reading Tom Clancy, it's why I stopped reading Terry Goodkind, and it's why I hated Avatar (blue space furries, not The Last Airbender).

I have yet to see that level of wank in an anime though.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #25165 on: October 28, 2015, 01:03:39 pm »

Well congratulations, heh. Gate has you covered :V
Ask not!
Ask!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #25166 on: October 28, 2015, 01:04:03 pm »

I always thought that was mostly the author's own personal biases leaking in, like why David Weber's works almost always have crazy liberals and stupid reactionaries conservatives (the empire-fetish, however, seems to be his love of Hornblower rather than his politics) or Eric Flint's works have the same political shift towards the radical left, rather than being an explicit purpose of the work in itself.  I kinda actively avoided Gate, though, so I can't really talk too much...

He's ex-JSDF. The JSDF is already using Gate in recruitment posters. Unfortunately the JSDF maintains pretty tight information security so there's very little else available. That said, go read the LNs. The manga and anime didn't just turn down the fanservice. I normally don't blast people this hard for personal tastes, but a lot of Gate is just utterly reprehensible. About the only good part is the base abstract hook, the "small modern military force ISOT'd in fantasy shithole" bit.

But I would posit that if you want more milwank you have terrible taste, just like wanting more haremshit or pedo-baiting. It's crap of a different sort, but it's still crap.

Weber's the comparison I would have made in terms of the work being written proof of an extensive series of mental masturbation sessions, but the fact that Takumi Yanai's ex-military, the rather more extreme tone of the wank, and the fact that the JSDF immediately jumped on it as a recruiting opportunity seems more than a little suspect to me.

3. Run Resize Enable

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #25167 on: October 28, 2015, 01:07:02 pm »

... the manga turned down the fanservice?
Ask not!
Ask!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #25168 on: October 28, 2015, 01:19:03 pm »

The manga turned down from the LN, the anime turned down from the manga.

3. Run Resize Enable

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #25169 on: October 28, 2015, 01:23:33 pm »

But I would posit that if you want more milwank you have terrible taste, just like wanting more haremshit or pedo-baiting. It's crap of a different sort, but it's still crap.
Honestly the main reason I like it is because military vs. fantasy world stories can be difficult to find. It's fairly easy to find military works with fantasy aspects mixed in (ala, modern mages type of thing), or stories about a fantasy military, or stories about normal militaries (possibly with some alternate history mixed in), but fantasy vs. military are well... rare. Pretty much the only other fairly interesting stories I've found so far are the earlier books of the Destroyermen book series and The Salvation War series (which sadly had the 3rd book canceled).

I mean yeah, it's got some definitely bad moments, but it's still an interesting series for its premise if nothing else, and for that reason alone I would find it an interesting read, even if it was focused on portraying the historical armies of Nazi Germany crushing and pressing some fantasy world. After all, just because it contains propaganda doesn't necessarily mean that I need to believe it, and can actually work as an interesting spin on a viewpoint for novelty's sake if nothing else.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: 1 ... 1676 1677 [1678] 1679 1680 ... 2193