Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1675 1676 [1677] 1678 1679 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3055491 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #25140 on: October 26, 2015, 03:32:12 am »

I appreciate the suggestions there Reelya.

I actually just finished watching Ocean Waves. Suspicious lack of both Oceans and Waves. 0/10

But for reals, this is probably the least entertaining Ghibli flick to date, which is disappointing because this is the very last one I hadn't seen yet. It's supposedly made by the youngest, least experienced members of Ghibli's cast, and it really shows: it's just full of pointless drama, shallow sentimental bullshit, damnably slow plot advancement, each part of the movie doesn't quite fit in like non-matching jigsaw pieces, an ending that's so jilting it gives me whiplash, and characters that only exist on a sliding scale of Male Bitch (wimpy and dickless) to Female Bitch (Mean and selfish). Just bitches, all of'em.

Watching this movie was so frustrating and angering! This is probably the only Ghibli film that I have to concede is just plain BAD! It's the only bad mark on their record, and that leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #25141 on: October 26, 2015, 04:08:00 am »

I picked up Plastic Memories again. Weirdly enough, I stopped watching right before the scene that convinced me it was worth watching, the first retrieval. It's better than I expected.

When watching anime lately I've been keeping that Hiyao Miyazaki interview in mind, the one that started the "Anime was a mistake" meme. The things that he actually said, about anime being based on observing real people, have answered a lot of questions about why I like some shows but dislike others. Plastic Memories captures that "based on real life" quality in some of the retrieval scenes; they feel a bit too similar to real-life farewells.

Also, I watched Return of Cooler, and it totally makes up for Broly Second Coming. The action's cool, the idea is neat, and the comic relief is actually pretty funny. I'm not even mad that Vegeta showed up for no reason at all.

It's also the first DBZ thing that I've watched totally in English. It wasn't as bad as I expected. I still like Japanese Goku's nasally voice though. I think it fits the goofy manchild aspect of his character much better.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #25142 on: October 26, 2015, 05:41:31 pm »

There are only three worthwhile basketball animes in my personal knowledge:

Slam Dunk, for classic anime
Kuroko's Basketball, for modern anime
Ro Kyu Bu for loli anime
I was gonna question you why Ro Kyu Bu is somehow worthwhile but I've been watching cute girls doing cute things shows. So meh.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #25143 on: October 26, 2015, 06:16:23 pm »

There are only three worthwhile basketball animes in my personal knowledge:

Slam Dunk, for classic anime
Kuroko's Basketball, for modern anime
Ro Kyu Bu for loli anime
I was gonna question you why Ro Kyu Bu is somehow worthwhile but I've been watching cute girls doing cute things shows. So meh.
The only good part about that show is the first review, which it technically gets credit for inspiring.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25144 on: October 26, 2015, 07:05:54 pm »

To be clear it isn't something harmless like K-On, it's directly pandering to paedophiles.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #25145 on: October 26, 2015, 07:57:13 pm »

The only good part about that show is the first review, which it technically gets credit for inspiring.
Well that was worth my time.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #25146 on: October 27, 2015, 02:24:08 pm »

Ironblooded Orphans staff has revealed that the full name of Biscuit's grandmother is Sakura Pretzel
It's FEF, not FEOF

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #25147 on: October 28, 2015, 01:27:35 am »

Plastic Memories is kind of a meh, run-of-the-mill show so far, but it's worse than that because it's disappointing. It really is dragged down by the tick-the-box anime tropes it could have stood without.

Episode 3's setup is basically a late introduction to the romcom side of the show. "Bwaaah? You mean I have to live with a beautiful girl who has no sense of privacy or personal space? I sure hope nobody accuses me of impure thoughts when WACKY PERVY HIJINKS ensue!"

More and more shows nowadays seem to start with that part already established, so they don't have to spend an episode on it.

I mean, the good parts are really good so far, but they come towards the end of lukewarm, so-so episodes. I want to say that I like this show more than I actually do. :(
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #25148 on: October 28, 2015, 01:47:02 am »

Episode 3's setup is basically a late introduction to the romcom side of the show. "Bwaaah? You mean I have to live with a beautiful girl who has no sense of privacy or personal space? I sure hope nobody accuses me of impure thoughts when WACKY PERVY HIJINKS ensue!"
This was the one part of My Wife is the Student Council President that I really appreciated. The MC was still embarrassed by the shenanigans (because Japan) but at least he had the decency to follow up on it rather than just sitting there with a nosebleed.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25149 on: October 28, 2015, 08:59:00 am »

Ironblooded Orphans staff has revealed that the full name of Biscuit's grandmother is Sakura Pretzel

Don't even understand the naming convention, but we'll go with it.

Also, gotta say, Ironblooded Orphans is doing a damn good job with the characters.
It's like they've made a version of Setsuna F. Seiei who's actually likeable.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #25150 on: October 28, 2015, 09:28:46 am »

« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 10:46:02 am by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25151 on: October 28, 2015, 10:30:10 am »

Pumpkin Scissors. Library Wars. What else has come out since those were released that is similar?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25152 on: October 28, 2015, 11:17:28 am »

The Book of Bantorra turns up on the recommendations lists for both Pumpkin Scissors and Library Wars. While I can't vouch for it personally, my ex-flatmate also recommended it to me. Synopsis:
In a world where dead people turn into books and are stored in the Bantorra Library where anyone who reads a book can learn their past, Bantorra Library is maintained by Armed Librarians who wield psychic powers and their enemy is a religious society known as Sindeki Kyoudan.

Valkryria Chronicles is another show with high ratings and which is on the recommendation list for both those shows.

For other things with a military theme of recent years, they tend to be mixed with other anime tropes, e.g. moe. I think the best ones of those were Sora no Woto and Girls Und Panzer, and you also have Gate which aired in July of this year, but has some harem+fantasy tropes along with the military adventure stuff.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 11:31:48 am by Reelya »

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #25153 on: October 28, 2015, 11:29:52 am »

I'll advise against GATE unless you don't mind wank that isn't America Fuck Yeah.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25154 on: October 28, 2015, 11:33:01 am »

Hey the JSDF is totally heroic when they blow up knights on horseback with mortars. But of course you could imagine the outcry if that was set in the real world with a modern army wiping the floor with some native resistance ;D

I definitely think Sora no Woto and Girls und Panzer are a lot better than Gate btw. "Not a harem" is a selling point for those two shows. Gate is also stuffed full of jokes specifically written to appeal to self-identified otaku.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 11:36:42 am by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 1675 1676 [1677] 1678 1679 ... 2193