Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1662 1663 [1664] 1665 1666 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3054187 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #24945 on: October 12, 2015, 09:04:20 am »

Should probably mention an important detail about Gangsta. The show ends on a cliffhanger, and the studio adapting it filed for bankruptcy the other day. So if you go into it, be aware of that fact, and you're probably going to have to read the manga if you want a continuation. It's hard to say though, since other studios will definitely hire their animators and snap up the rights to their back catalog.

Caught up the second ep of Young Black Jack, yeah that was a pretty weird ending. It's like there was a huge missing scene there, but everything is magically ok.

Now I'm onto the current season of Kindaichi: World's Stupidest Detective. Somehow both shows are seeming to be on the same wavelength. At least Kindaichi cuts right to the chase. Even before the two minute mark I was laughing out loud at how.

On the topic of Gangsta: UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH!!! Come freeken ON!

On the topic of Young Black Jack: I am actually quite happy someone saw the episode and actually is on the same page in how just totally WTF that ending was.

On the topic of the world's dumbest detective: I am astounded you use that moniker for him. I mean I know I rant a LOT about him, but I wouldn't think you would jump on that as a joke just because I felt that way. Though given you actually watch the anime, you might have become aware of how little actual "life saving" he does.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 09:20:28 am by Neonivek »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #24946 on: October 12, 2015, 10:52:09 am »

Since Madoka was mentioned somewhat recently, I'll share these short comic strips I found.

Beware of spoilers, should probably make sure to finish the series first. I don't think there's any movie spoilers.
Amazing.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #24947 on: October 12, 2015, 11:52:14 am »

I can safely say you have to be pre-spoiled to notice any of the spoilers in that. Still haven't watched madoka (probably never will :V), had no idea what better than half those strips were trying to reference.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24948 on: October 12, 2015, 01:31:41 pm »

On the topic of the world's dumbest detective: I am astounded you use that moniker for him. I mean I know I rant a LOT about him, but I wouldn't think you would jump on that as a joke just because I felt that way. Though given you actually watch the anime, you might have become aware of how little actual "life saving" he does.

No, the explanations of the mysteries were so retarded from episode one onwards that I just happen to agree with you on the topic. I was complaining about how dumb the story was from when episode one of the first season of Kindaichi Returns aired onwards, long before you commented. Actually I don't think Kindaichi is exceptionally stupid in the context of the series, everyone is stupid including the writer.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 01:40:38 pm by Reelya »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #24949 on: October 12, 2015, 06:08:18 pm »

... would mean there's at least two madoka games, though. There's also at least a pretty interesting beat-'em-up style (iirc) one floating around, too. Pretty sure it's a doujin game instead of official, but it's out there. Can't recall the name.
That's Grief Syndrome
The game in its entirety can be downloaded here
Most adorable sprites ever.

Since Madoka was mentioned somewhat recently, I'll share these short comic strips I found.

Beware of spoilers, should probably make sure to finish the series first. I don't think there's any movie spoilers.
Some of these are kinda dumb, but the others make up for it.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24950 on: October 12, 2015, 06:45:26 pm »

There is a patch in progress for the Madoka PSP game. It's kinda really broken and it's not totally complete yet. The plot that isn't identical to the anime I think is more translated, though. (I think it's okay to link because the patch doesn't include the game, it's just files to alter the game that you acquired through legal means.)
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24951 on: October 12, 2015, 06:49:46 pm »

No, the explanations of the mysteries were so retarded from episode one onwards that I just happen to agree with you on the topic. I was complaining about how dumb the story was from when episode one of the first season of Kindaichi Returns aired onwards, long before you commented. Actually I don't think Kindaichi is exceptionally stupid in the context of the series, everyone is stupid including the writer.

True saying he is dumb is a bit unfair. But lets just say if you hired Kindaichi to save the president's life... You better prepare the funeral. Sure Kindaichi will, I guarantee you, find out who did the murder... but will probably let the President die, because that is always secondary to him.

That is why he is the worst detective alive.

aenri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24952 on: October 13, 2015, 12:34:49 am »

True saying he is dumb is a bit unfair. But lets just say if you hired Kindaichi to save the president's life... You better prepare the funeral. Sure Kindaichi will, I guarantee you, find out who did the murder... but will probably let the President die, because that is always secondary to him.

That is why he is the worst detective alive.

But he is not a bodyguard? He is a detective, one who is specifically called after the crime has been done. When there is no crime, there is no "detectiving" to do.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24953 on: October 13, 2015, 01:12:53 am »

But he is not a bodyguard? He is a detective, one who is specifically called after the crime has been done. When there is no crime, there is no "detectiving" to do.

Except that exact scenario has happened multiple times

And even then... a person who will attempt to solve a case at the expense of god damn human lives is a pretty cruddy human being.

Detective Q often did their best to ensure that no one got killed, detective Conan was often in a race to attempt to save someone's life, and Kindaichi? He couldn't care less.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 01:23:19 am by Neonivek »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24954 on: October 13, 2015, 01:32:50 am »

Kindaichi is never called in after a murder, that's not the formula here. It's a show where he happens to be around when the murders happen and he uses his junior sleuth skills to solve it. But not before letting 4-5 other people get knocked off all around him because they do a lot of "let's split up now" stuff, to make the extra deaths convenient.

It might be permissable if the first murder was a one-off and the secondary murders are unexpected, but it's almost always "these X number of people are getting knocked off one after the other because of a vendetta" or some supervillain announces he's going to murder people one at a time, and proceeds to do so. I doubt there's every been just a single murder except for maybe the occasional 1-episode story.

Despite how often this is the case, Kindaichi and his associates basically never take appropriate measures to ensure anyone's wellbeing, unless it's some ham-fisted plot requirement.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 01:40:35 am by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24955 on: October 13, 2015, 01:37:12 am »

And Reelya is ignoring the times when Kindaichi is DIRRECTLY responsible for someone's death. Which happens, and almost happens, way more then it honestly should.  "Who knew the guy murdering people with a gun would have a gun on him?"

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24956 on: October 13, 2015, 02:18:22 am »

I think I had an epiphany. I was thinking about the baseless "Anno made Rei as otaku-bait" theory and why people would want to spread that.

Then it came to me just now. The people who would benefit from spreading such a story are the hardcore NGE fans who wish to handwave-away the obvious flaws in the show (such as embarassing fanservice), while also setting themselves up as the "elite" who "get it" as opposed to the "masses" who "don't get it". Thus it serves two purposes:

(1) it absolves the show's flaws, since the flaws are there "on purpose" as "meta-commentary", and thus absolving said obsessed fan from having to justify the less-than-salubrious elements of the show.

(2) it creates a heirarchy of fans, with the "elite" fans with their "one true interpretation" now able to look down on anyone who is "enjoying the show in the wrong way", a way that makes Anno cry and makes God kill a kitten.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 02:39:53 am by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24957 on: October 13, 2015, 06:10:16 pm »

Well Qin's Moon has lost all my good will.

I never seen a show drag its heels and refuse to advance more then it in my entire life.

The first season was actually fine and the second season started strong but ended up going too long, I just wanted the plot to move forward... And half the third season is repeating the 2nd season.

There is actually a single fight that goes on for like 8 episodes... and I know what your thinking "Ohh, just a long fight that is fine" except you don't get it. It is not a long fight or a fight where we get snippets for 8 episodes. I mean they keep recapping the fight as we know it.

I am too bored to keep watching.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #24958 on: October 13, 2015, 07:05:11 pm »

Started watching MSG: the 08th MS Team. first episode gives me the same vibes as those old ww2 stories where an axis and allied pilot crashed near each other and were forced to cooperate

Seeing as how this is my first exposure to MSG, this should be really interesting. I definitely get the feeling that you need to have watched the mainline gundams to get this, but it's still interesting on it's own.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24959 on: October 13, 2015, 09:00:33 pm »

I just found out that Arslan Senki was from a book by the same writer as LoGH. I didn't know that. Some people said the show was "disappointing" because it wasn't exactly like LoGH. I guess having unrealistic expectations going into something can ruin a perfectly fine series.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 09:02:11 pm by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 1662 1663 [1664] 1665 1666 ... 2193