Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1642 1643 [1644] 1645 1646 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3053953 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #24645 on: September 26, 2015, 11:00:15 pm »

Sort of Reelya it still isn't true.

Most of the time you get cold in the winter time not because of compromised immune systems but because of the more cramped and huddled environment.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24646 on: September 26, 2015, 11:04:34 pm »

It's probably the combination. The virus breeds much faster in the 33 degrees than e.g. 37 degrees. So if you're in a cold house with other people then they are going to be spewing virus particles out faster at the lower temperature.

http://web.uconn.edu/mcbstaff/graf/Student%20presentations/Rhinovirus/Rhinovirus.html

The key feature to Rhinovirus is its need for a low temperature environment, about 33 degrees Celsius. The body temperature of 37 degrees Celsius is to extereme for the pathogen. Therefore it is limited to upper respiratory infection and can not become systemic.

So scientific articles claim the main reason the rhinovirus does not spread to other tissues is body temperature. It seems to depend on the strain, but the majority of the strains are unable to replicate at the higher temperatures of 37+
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 11:08:12 pm by Reelya »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24647 on: September 26, 2015, 11:05:21 pm »

I've never really thought of it as an anime thing, it's like a classic old wives' tale.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24648 on: September 26, 2015, 11:08:36 pm »

We have a Western Animation thread for those series anyway.

And yeah, country of origin is what defines anime for me. Is it from Japan? Anime. Is it from somewhere else? Not-anime.

That's pretty racist.

Where an artist was born and what color their skin is has absolutely nothing to do with their choice of medium, subject or style.  Yeah, yeah, we can start arguing cultural influences if you want, but people can and do choose to use styles from all over the globe regardless of birth.

I don't even think we are even having an argument right now or a debate. I am just saying how the debate goes and the person who was told "Sorry last air bender isn't anime" isn't even saying a single word of defense.

Or rather I think the debate alarm is a little sensitive.

Not sure what exactly you mean by that? I don't hang out on internet forums all day. I respond when I have time.

I just stick to the country-of-origin side, because the "anime is a style" side has too many caveats - both positive and negative.

If anime is a style separate to cartoons, then it would be logically possible for their to be Japanese cartoons which are not anime. Yet all Japanese cartoons are anime by definition regardless of style.

Uh...you're basically saying that Japanese artists are incapable of producing anything besides anime. I don't think you've thought your definition through very well. 

Japanese cartoons are 99% anime because they are 99% the same visually.  They simply don't seem to have the same wide range of visual variation that US/EU comics do.  Could be the community-and-sameness culture, could just be that what we see outside the country is not as varied as what happens inside the country.  But if a Japanese artist comes out with a Marvel-style comic, that's not anime. 

All that aside, AtLA clearly has far more in common with anime than any US/EU comic.  If the artists' race is your sole defining factor for art styles than I guess that's that but for anyone with a less tightly defined view of art, AtLA is clearly more anime than Marvel. 

Art isn't always an easily labeled thing.  That's one of the major points of art - pushing boundaries, investigating conventions, trying to find beauty.  Trying to define an art style by the artists' race is kind of weird.  Art is literally the opposite of widgets that can be easily and permanently classified.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 11:15:10 pm by Ghills »
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24649 on: September 26, 2015, 11:12:53 pm »

Please don't straw-man.

The whole "country of origin" thing is saying it's not about style. So the only one linking style to race is yourself. Hence your entire post is a strawman argument. Since nobody is making the argument you attack, you can have all the fun in the world both inventing and debunking your own points.

Here are some classic anime characters:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They look pretty Disney, right? So Disney is definitely anime.

This looks like what, Naruto, possibly. But definitely not like "all anime" any more than it looks like nothing in particular.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 11:21:18 pm by Reelya »

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24650 on: September 26, 2015, 11:14:12 pm »

Please don't straw-man.

The whole "country of origin" thing is saying it's not about style. So the only one linking style to race is yourself. Hence your entire post is a strawman argument.
This. We're saying that "anime" doesn't describe a style, but rather that it simply refers to animation from Japan.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 11:17:52 pm by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #24651 on: September 26, 2015, 11:17:05 pm »

i would like to see anybody but goku, vegeta or mr. satan do anything in dragon ball super but i don't think that's going to happen

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24652 on: September 26, 2015, 11:17:44 pm »

Please don't straw-man.

The whole "country of origin" thing is saying it's not about style. So the only one linking style to race is yourself. Hence your entire post is a strawman argument. Since nobody is making the argument you attack, you can have all the fun in the world both inventing and debunking your own points.

Did you read the posts I quoted? They literally say "Yet all Japanese cartoons are anime by definition regardless of style." and "country of origin is what defines anime for me."  That is undeniably linking an art style to race.

There's no strawman here. There's people saying "Race is a defining characteristic of this art" and me pointing out that that's shortsighted, counter to one of the fundamental points of art, and also kind of racist.

This. We're saying that "anime" doesn't a style, but rather that it simply describes animation that comes from Japan.

That is highly, highly debatable.  Often when people talk about anime they mean the look, the types of plot and stereotypes, etc.  If someone from Japan put out a Marvel style superhero comic, would you call that anime?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 11:22:17 pm by Ghills »
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24653 on: September 26, 2015, 11:19:34 pm »

I don't even think we are even having an argument right now or a debate. I am just saying how the debate goes and the person who was told "Sorry last air bender isn't anime" isn't even saying a single word of defense.

Not sure what exactly you mean by that? I don't hang out on internet forums all day. I respond when I have time.

I don't know what your taking as offense. I am saying that we aren't even having a debate, you didn't even put up any amount of resistance towards the statement of "we aren't counting it".

Japanese cartoons are 99% anime because they are 99% the same visually.

:O + O_O

That is literally my face right now.

Seriously... I am not sure if serious... >_< this is an insane thing to say. Can someone PLEASE bring out the anime styles chart?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24654 on: September 26, 2015, 11:23:50 pm »

Ghills, historically, all cartoons from Japan are called anime. That was the original definition: Japanese cartoons. that's just a fact of life. If something is made in Japan, it's universally regarded as anime. Regardless of style. There's nothing racist about that.

My point was that there is no category of "Japanese cartoons" which is not considered anime.

If tomorrow, every Japanese studio decides that the characters are going to have bright red triangular heads in all the shows, then that will be the new definition of "anime style". Anime style is defined by whichever art style is currently popular in Japan. You can't really say Sailor Moon = DragonBall = Code Geass = Panty & Stocking.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 11:26:18 pm by Reelya »

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24655 on: September 26, 2015, 11:24:45 pm »

Did you read the posts I quoted? They literally say "Yet all Japanese cartoons are anime by definition regardless of style." and "country of origin is what defines anime for me."  That is undeniably linking an art style to race.
No, it's not linking an art style to race. It's saying that "anime" is something that has nothing to do with style. You're the only one who thinks we're arguing that.

Seriously... I am not sure if serious... >_< this is an insane thing to say. Can someone PLEASE bring out the anime styles chart?
I found two.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24656 on: September 26, 2015, 11:26:00 pm »

I don't know what your taking as offense. I am saying that we aren't even having a debate, you didn't even put up any amount of resistance towards the statement of "we aren't counting it".

I wasn't taking offense, I just pointed out that debates on the internet aren't time limited.

Anime shares visual, stylistic and story characteristics that are not present in Marvel-style superhero comics or several other US/EU comic genres.  Yes, there's variation within anime but they're very, very clearly related visually, more so than say DareDevil and Order of the Stick.  It's an advantage in some ways, because it's pretty easy to recognize the genre, where US/EU comics have kind of splintered into multiple visual styles.
To summarize:

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #24657 on: September 26, 2015, 11:27:45 pm »

i can't help but feel that

maybe instead of trying to hash out a rational definition that covers all possible edge cases and offends nobody's sensibilities

maybe it would be easier to accept a fuzzy and ill-defined category for what it is, and go with the consensus of what any particular example happens to be

like, what does anybody accomplish by winning this argument
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24658 on: September 26, 2015, 11:28:13 pm »

Ghills, maybe you should invest in a dictionary. You should look up what "regardless" means.

Bauglir, i think the problem comes when you have a thread where you're discussing "thing X". you want to decide what's on topic and what is not. Allowing edge cases means you also need to allow all edge-cases-to-that-edge-case and before you know it, we should just call this the "world animation thread" to prevent arguments.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 11:31:44 pm by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24659 on: September 26, 2015, 11:29:17 pm »

i can't help but feel that

maybe instead of trying to hash out a rational definition that covers all possible edge cases and offends nobody's sensibilities

maybe it would be easier to accept a fuzzy and ill-defined category for what it is, and go with the consensus of what any particular example happens to be

like, what does anybody accomplish by winning this argument

Or maybe we should just say that for the sake of all arguments that this thread is going to personally define anime as animation from Japan... With exceptions for this thread being Asian animation such as Master Cooking Boy (which is Chinese) and Mangas
Pages: 1 ... 1642 1643 [1644] 1645 1646 ... 2193