Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1641 1642 [1643] 1644 1645 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3054315 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #24630 on: September 26, 2015, 08:04:25 pm »

I'm glad you're enjoying the show, but technically AtLA is not anime. It's Western Animation with anime influences :P
We've had this argument before and there were many casualties
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24631 on: September 26, 2015, 08:05:58 pm »

The Smurfs is my favorite anime.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24632 on: September 26, 2015, 08:11:27 pm »

I'm glad you're enjoying the show, but technically AtLA is not anime. It's Western Animation with anime influences :P
What argument? It was created, written, directed, and owned by westerners. It premiered in the United States with English voice acting. Art style does not a form of media make.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24633 on: September 26, 2015, 08:17:20 pm »

What argument? It was created, written, directed, and owned by westerners. It premiered in the United States with English voice acting. Art style does not a form of media make.

A lot of people have minimized the definition of anime to being Anime-esk

The major argument back when we had it is that people might look for anime-esk titles in an anime thread... so we should accommodate them.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #24634 on: September 26, 2015, 08:47:50 pm »

The "what counts as anime" argument has been done to death, we never come to an agreement (much like all internet arguments, really), so let's not do that.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24635 on: September 26, 2015, 09:00:48 pm »

The "what counts as anime" argument has been done to death, we never come to an agreement (much like all internet arguments, really), so let's not do that.

We always do. It usually isn't someone who frequents this board.

I don't even think we are even having an argument right now or a debate. I am just saying how the debate goes and the person who was told "Sorry last air bender isn't anime" isn't even saying a single word of defense.

Or rather I think the debate alarm is a little sensitive.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24636 on: September 26, 2015, 09:02:53 pm »

I just stick to the country-of-origin side, because the "anime is a style" side has too many caveats - both positive and negative.

If anime is a style separate to cartoons, then it would be logically possible for their to be Japanese cartoons which are not anime. Yet all Japanese cartoons are anime by definition regardless of style. So we're back to "Anime is a style, unless it's Japanese, in which case style is irrelevant to whether it's anime".

If we're going to dictate what stylistic aspects "real" anime have, then we need to explain why we are selecting those particular shows as "real" anime, and what is "not real anime" about the Japanese shows we've excluded. So are we talking similarity to 60's anime, 80's anime, modern anime or what? Disney is anime if you go by Osamu Tezuka. Powerpuff Girls is anime if you go by Panty & Stocking. Hanna Babera shows are anime if you go by something like Doraemon. So which exact of the separate anime traditions do we count as "real"? Which is all sort of cultural imperialism right there. I recall in Australia some white art experts telling Aboriginal artist that their works not "real" Aboriginal Art, because they've incorporated other ideas into it.

The problem is most likely we lack the vocabulary to properly classify styles, so we lump disparate styles into the term "anime", even though they don't really all fit in that label. What would be more reasonable would be to appropriate some of the demographic/genre terms and apply them to western works. e.g. saying "Avatar TLA is the American take on a Shonen anime" is much more accurate. Like calling original works made by the producers of Power Rangers as Tokusatsu shows, when they follow all the conventions, is pretty accurate.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 09:13:49 pm by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24637 on: September 26, 2015, 09:10:11 pm »

It is also hard because both Anime and western cartoons influence each other very highly.

You can see the influences from Astroboy to Batman the animated series.

But frankly Reelya we barely have the vocabulary to highlight the styles of anime themselves. I don't know how I can say the difference between classic anime style (In say Legend of Galactic Heroes) versus modern anime style (In say... generic anime #437)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #24638 on: September 26, 2015, 09:15:21 pm »

Or rather I think the debate alarm is a little sensitive.
I'm mostly trying to say the whole thing is utterly pointless

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24639 on: September 26, 2015, 09:28:32 pm »

I think pointing out western vs anime is relevant when someone brings up a specific series. Unless you want to be discussing Teen Titans, Kim Possible and Ben 10 in this thread as well as the other stuff.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24640 on: September 26, 2015, 09:44:57 pm »

We have a Western Animation thread for those series anyway.

And yeah, country of origin is what defines anime for me. Is it from Japan? Anime. Is it from somewhere else? Not-anime.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24641 on: September 26, 2015, 09:52:37 pm »

It sounds silly... But I actually really appreciate an awesome Intro song and feel my energy sapped if it is bad.

Honestly I think that was 50% of the reason why I liked Inuyasha. I think that even bad animes can get me to watch longer with really awesome intro and ending music.

I load up Black Bullet, see a REALLY bad intro.. but really awesome music to go with it and I am like "You know what? Maybe I'll watch this a bit more."

The music is definitely what got me to keep watching Umineko the most depressing soul sucking anime ever created... and that anime left me an empty shell.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 09:56:43 pm by Neonivek »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24642 on: September 26, 2015, 10:00:36 pm »

The OP music was by far the best bit of Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #24643 on: September 26, 2015, 10:18:00 pm »

We doing the OP thing? Outro with the chest hair pom-poms and cat trombone from Hare Nochi Guu (Deluxe, maybe?) still holds a warm place in my heart :3

Actually listened to it more than once! There's been something like three or four anything series I've done that for, if it didn't involve a TV you couldn't skip with.

E: This thing. Cheerful, trumpets, mild absurdity. An appealing trio.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 10:22:34 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24644 on: September 26, 2015, 10:55:51 pm »

Until recently I scoffed at the anime trope of "getting cold gives you a cold", because you always read articles telling you it's just an urban legend.

But it turns out that there's a ton of science backing up the "if you stay cold you might get sick" argument and almost no science backing up the doubters. I guess it's a case of "the more you know" and never taking anything for granted. A difference of 3-4 degrees temperature in your nose makes a huge difference to the speed at which rhinoviruses replicate, with the immune defense system basically cutting out completely if the air in your nose goes below 33 degrees C. There are always going to be viruses around to some degree, so warming up fast after being exposed to the elements in winter would definitely cut infection rates a lot.

So, anime logic was right all along.

http://www.nature.com/news/cold-viruses-thrive-in-frosty-conditions-1.13025
http://www.bbc.com/news/health-30685732
http://www.pnas.org/content/112/3/827.abstract
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 11:00:52 pm by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 1641 1642 [1643] 1644 1645 ... 2193